When family & friends are not supportive or "don't get it" about DVC

-"If you can afford to do this, why not take that money and put it in a savings account?"

I mean, if you have the money, then it probably is currently in a savings account...

Unless you truly have money problems and have asked for help in the near past and having paid back loans, it’s not throttle business.

Who will you go with once your kids don't want to go with you anymore?" (I am a single mom)

LOL. I’ve been going on cousin trips for Princess weekend since 2016. Apart from one addon stay pre and post cruise, my son and now ex husband haven’t been to Wdw since 2015. (Son is joining us at the end of Princess weekend 2020!)

Frankly, we didn't ask anyone's opinion when we bought.

Same.

So many people on message boards say they do extended family trips and how enjoyable it is.

Ok let me temper that expectation. Family trips are nice to do. Wait. They are nicer to have done than they are to do. Does that make sense? In the moment, they are chaotic and loud and difficult and the communication is floopy (especially on the cousin level since you don’t have that background of living in the same house). Food differences, how to dine differences (are you team “clean your plate” while they are team “if you don’t like it you can get something else”?)(no judgement on either of those; I’ve been both with my son at various points),souvenirs or no, etc etc etc. it can be rough!!!

But for me having been able to host a family trip makes me happy, and by the time it’s time to book for the next year I’ve forgotten the hard stuff anyway.

Life is funny, when I purchased 10 years ago had some negative feed back from some family members. For the last 10 years we have gone to WDW at least 2 times a year often taking kids and grandkids. Now those who thought we were nuts to buy are envious they do not have the ability to take their families. Even my one daughter who was never a big Disney fan, has gone every year for the last 5 years because she wants her kids to have the experience (luckily her kids Love Disney). Like I said, life is funny.

To OP, I heard it all from family and friends when we bought in, that was 20 years ago. Since that time I think all the nay sayers have seen that we did make a good choice for us. My comment would be it's no different then the person/family that goes to the Jersey shore every summer for vacation. Going to the shore can be very expensive and it's the same thing every year. At least WDW is constantly changing, there is usually something new to see every trip. The other thing is I know what I'm going to get, I know I'm going to be happy with my lodging and all other areas of my trip. There is comfort in know you will be happy when you get there.

My son in particular used to ask why we don't go to Europe or other places instead of WDW. My answer to him is I have crossed the US several times seeing many of the wonderful sights this country has to offer. I have ventured a little in CA and we have gone to Europe. Disney/WDW is my happy place and where I want to go. I will admit that there are places in Europe I would like to go but my DH has no desire to travel abroad and to be honest I'm a little afraid to do so myself the way the world is now.

I think as I'm sure you already know you need to do what is best for you and your family. You can't worry about what other people think or have to say. This is your decision and it's your life. You are the one responsible for your own personal happiness.

I hope you have many years of wonderful Disney memories ahead of you. Enjoy the journey. pixiedust:

to be honest I'm a little afraid to do so myself the way the world is now.
I know I'm just some Random Guy On The Internet, but I'd encourage you to give it a try. True, the world could be better, but I've been around quite a bit of it, and travel is the best way I can think of to make it feel more familiar and safer. And, travel isn't just tourism. I was in Stockholm for a few days this past summer and found an 8K trail run to participate in while I was there. Most of the people there were Swedish, though there were a few Americans and a Canadian or two in the mix.

That doesn't have to mean instead of WDW, but it could be in addition to the trips to WDW. Heck, it could even include Disney in some way! Several years ago we took the kids to France for a week in a Paris condo that we found on VRBO followed by four nights at the Sequoia Lodge at Disneyland Paris. They were offering a buy-two-get-four promotion and that part of the trip was surprisingly affordable.

For my daughter's college graduation, I am contemplating the grand tour of Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Tokyo. I've been to the city of Shanghai several times, the Disney park there once. I've visited the city of Hong Kong but not the Disney park there. I still haven't gotten to Japan at all, but that's on my bucket list! Disney cruises are another way to combine a dose of Disney with seeing some other part of the world. We did Alaska a few years ago on the Wonder, and the rest of my family has done several others.

I know I'm just some Random Guy On The Internet, but I'd encourage you to give it a try. True, the world could be better, but I've been around quite a bit of it, and travel is the best way I can think of to make it feel more familiar and safer. And, travel isn't just tourism. I was in Stockholm for a few days this past summer and found an 8K trail run to participate in while I was there. Most of the people there were Swedish, though there were a few Americans and a Canadian or two in the mix.

That doesn't have to mean instead of WDW, but it could be in addition to the trips to WDW. Heck, it could even include Disney in some way! Several years ago we took the kids to France for a week in a Paris condo that we found on VRBO followed by four nights at the Sequoia Lodge at Disneyland Paris. They were offering a buy-two-get-four promotion and that part of the trip was surprisingly affordable.

For my daughter's college graduation, I am contemplating the grand tour of Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Tokyo. I've been to the city of Shanghai several times, the Disney park there once. I've visited the city of Hong Kong but not the Disney park there. I still haven't gotten to Japan at all, but that's on my bucket list! Disney cruises are another way to combine a dose of Disney with seeing some other part of the world. We did Alaska a few years ago on the Wonder, and the rest of my family has done several others.

Thanks for the advice. I have often thought about going to England, I would love to see Stone Hench and many other sights in England. I would also love to go to Ireland, Germany and Austria. We have already been to Sweden and France, we went to Disneyland Paris while in FR, we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, it was very pretty. Another thing on my bucket list is the Great Wall of China but I'm pretty sure I will never do this one but who knows? ;)

I will say that if my DH has any say in it (which he does) we won't be going abroad anytime soon...

I can't help but feel like coming here for affirmation on buying a Disney timeshare is akin to prisoners seeking emotional support in the prison yard for how their families don't get the reasons why they chose the thug life. There are lots of sound reasons to own a Disney timeshare. A few responses that may be able to quell the family "concern" is rooted in being a good place to buy any sort of large luxury purchase.

"If you can afford to do this, why not take that money and put it in a savings account?"
Because I can afford to do both.

"Do you really want to keep going to Disney every year?" (eye roll) or "Don't you want to go anywhere other than Florida?"
Owning a Disney timeshare is not mutually exclusive with traveling elsewhere. With the flexibility of banking/borrowing I could skip a year. Plus, I can afford to do both if I wanted to. For now, I want me some Disney.

Regarding resale: "Are you sure it's not a scam? My friend bought a timeshare once and it was a scam/not real"
I've done my research. Find me a friend who was scammed buying a Disney timeshare from these guys (https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/orlando/profile/vacation-rentals/the-timeshare-store-inc-0733-22002773) and we can chat, otherwise, we're talking about two totally different things.

"Who will you go with once your kids don't want to go with you anymore?" (I am a single mom)
I'll go with the person who this purchase makes the most sense to: me. If I choose to, I'll go with a friend. I have those. If you play your cards right, maybe I'll take you.

The best defense against people questioning your choices is to be confident in why you made those choices in the first place. If you're not confident in buying in, it may not hurt to pause, take stock, and figure out why not.

It's a lot of money.

If these are family who love and care about you, it may be your best interest that is at the heart of their questions... that and a touch of misinformation. Let them know "I'm comfortable with my choices," and maybe talk them through the thoughtful process you used to decide to buy in.

If they are not, just stop at "I'm comfortable with my choices."

I can't help but feel like coming here for affirmation on buying a Disney timeshare is akin to prisoners seeking emotional support in the prison yard for how their families don't get the reasons why they chose the thug life.

LOL soooo true... :D

This is something I want to have for myself and my kids, yes, but also to share, my kids and my sisters kids together on a family vacation, etc. But they are kind of pointing out downsides and reasons to not do it. It's kind of bursting my bubble
I would politely say that you have done your research and it makes sense for your family.

I would also buy with the sole purpose of taking your own family. You are not buying to fund the vacations of others in your family. If they want to join you you could direct them to rental companies or for them to book through Disney.

People look at timeshares with a negative view or a waste of money. DVC is a timeshare but thankfully a bit different version of others out there with being able to hold value if you need to sell.

As long as you have done your research and have looked at the numbers and you can afford it then go ahead make your purchase and enjoy your vacations to WDW.

Just take care of you and your own family. And enjoy your trips to WDW.

Don't let them bring you down. If Disney makes you happy, then go for it! When our friends find out we are going to Disney they roll their eyes and say "Again". Yet, some of them have campers and camp every weekend at the same campground and then there's our friends that have houses at the lake and spend all their weekends at the lake. I like Disney and that is where I want to spend my time. Even if we can only get down there 3-4 times a year, our purchase was well worth it to us.

-"If you can afford to do this, why not take that money and put it in a savings account?"
DVC is similar to a vacation club at a bank. You plan to continue vacationing, this is a way to budget and get the most out of those costs.
-"Do you really want to keep going to Disney every year?" (eye roll) or "Don't you want to go anywhere other than Florida?"
You can rent your points out to pay the hotel cost elsewhere whenever you desire.
-Regarding resale: "Are you sure it's not a scam? My friend bought a timeshare once and it was a scam/not real"
Unlike contracts for other timeshares that get resold for $0, DVC contracts resell for thousands because it is valuable, secure and stable.
-"Who will you go with once your kids don't want to go with you anymore?" (I am a single mom)
WDW is not just to bring your kids. I'm sure you won't have too much trouble finding people who wouldn't mind staying at the nicest places in the bubble for a decent price.
Plus, point options are very flexible to accommodate many different party sizes and experiences.

Enjoy :D You did your homework. They'll get over it and be happy for you after they see how much joy you get year after year (unless they're seriously maladjusted, lol).

Take friends who love Disney as much as you do with you instead of your family. You'll have a better time. I've taken my family a few times, in the first few years after buying, they appreciated the magnificence of my home resort but none were interested in repeat trips (my family does do timeshares, so I didn't get that argument against, just ... Disney again?).

After a dozen years of owning I now have a decent-sized list of friends who if I mention an upcoming trip will gladly commit to a weekend (sometimes longer) 11 months out and be great to vacation with because they love the Disney experience too. I don't use Fb much anymore, but when I did one of my lists to post to was "Disney Friends" including some that I met on this site in 2012 that became IRL friends over time and travel with regularly. Not all of your family and friends are going to appreciate Disney to the extent that you will, but you'll find a Disney family and DVC makes travelling with them easier.

You want to share the magic with your family. They don't get it. Their loss. Enjoy these vacations with your kids. I'm a single mom too with my kids that are slowly moving out of the house. My eldest informed me she is still coming to Disney with me. How sweet is that? I have instilled a love of Disney in her that is not going away. Your kids will be going with you for years to come. Enjoy! DVC is great. I honestly don't think I could have done yearly vacations without it. And Boo to the naysayers. I ignore them myself:)

What I tell people is:
Whoever pays the piper calls the music.
:rockband: :charac2: :mic: :music:
If your family wants you to go on a vacation and they are willing to pay for it, go and have a great time on them. If you are paying for the trip you go where and when you choose to go.

I envisioned giant extended family/friend trips, too. Some of my family/friends don't like Disney, some don't want to impose on our Disney time, others feel funny about not paying for the room. Oh well. I'm sorry they feel that way, because I would love to include them. My nuclear family has had a ridiculous number of fabulous DVC vacations, though,- and many more to come.

I listen for the Disney naysayers in my family. I make a mental note that I probably shouldn’t invite them.

A lot of them have good reasons. One really loves camping and national parks, and he would be miserable at Disney.

But I also listen for the people who are open to the Magic. Those are the people we invite. Our first priority is my children and grandchildren, but when we have space, and my daughters can’t fill it, I might skip asking my brother, and ask one of his sons families instead, because I know they would enjoy it.

There's no end to people finding fault with the vacations you like. We spoke highly of Disney World to a family who then showed up with young kids, no fastpasses, no dining reservations, and no prior reading about the park's layout. They walked down Mainstreet to the central square, decided that all of Disney World was stores, and left. Another friend's family did the same thing at Williamsburg: they walked into the central square, decided there was nothing to see but old houses, and left. But my favorite is the family who drove to Amish country on a Sunday (a Sunday, hmm), complained because nothing was open, and left. They all told us we didn't know how to travel. We also traveled with relatives who were excited to come, paid for their own flight and some of our meals, and had a wonderful time. So invite only people who really want to go with you and are willing to pick up some part of the cost in advance. Don't try to convince anyone who's doubtful, as they'll whine for the whole trip. Smile and otherwise ignore them.

We returned yesterday from a wonderful trip with our son and daughter in law. We had a fabulous time and it was a dream for me to have them with us. We bought in 1996 and have enjoyed the magic as a family, nearly every year until college got in the way. We no longer bring family and friends as we prefer to go together - just hubby and me...until our son married last year. We already have plans for return visits as a couple in May 2020 and as a family after Thanksgiving 2020. This is something you do for yourself and your kids, and if family and friends are lucky that you invite them, trust me they will come. Yes, we've traveled extensively and still enjoy our Disney trips the best. Do what is right for you and don't listen to the naysayers.

My two cents: don’t purchase more points than your immediate family will need. You can always add more later. Not every family can vacation together and get along.

Hi - So I have been considering DVC for like 4 years seriously, doing research, learning all about it. But even before that I was always peripherally interested in it like since it was introduced! I am now finally taking the leap and doing this. I thought my extended family (parents/siblings) would be happy like I envisioned us all going together. This is something I want to have for myself and my kids, yes, but also to share, my kids and my sisters kids together on a family vacation, etc. But they are kind of pointing out downsides and reasons to not do it. It's kind of bursting my bubble.

Here are some of the things being said:

-"Do you really want to keep going to Disney every year?" (eye roll) or "Don't you want to go anywhere other than Florida?"
-Regarding resale: "Are you sure it's not a scam? My friend bought a timeshare once and it was a scam/not real"
-"Who will you go with once your kids don't want to go with you anymore?" (I am a single mom)

There is more but this is the highlights.

I thought I would be like let's get a 2 bed villa and we can all go! But this reaction is like uhhhh a bummer...
You are able to supply your kids and yourself with a great luxury item. You should take pride in the fact that you have set this goal and are ready to achieve it. Not everyone speaks or understands Disney. As far as the savings account comment. I view it as I would like to think I work hard for a reason and have something to show for it other than just a fat bank book. This is a great way to invest in memories with your family and provide your kids with different experiences each time. You are doing best by your family. Everyone else’s opinion is their problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!