When does a condo make more sense than DVC?

But are there that many DVC rooms available in RCI? When we stalked their site years ago, intending to use a relatives week, we could never find availability. Decided getting one was akin to hitting the lottery and never tried again. Are things different now? And if so, is it a short term thing because of the influx of covid impacted dvc points?

I don’t know but have a few friends who say they have had a tough time as well.

But, it’s just not the same for us, and owning a timeshare other than DVC for times we wanted to visit Disney didn’t make sense.

Now, there is the chance we may decide to do something for other type of retirement trips? In a beach area? Yes, but not for staying at Disney.

There are so many variables! I believe some people do better at exchanging into DVC than others based on their skill (knowledge, agility) and personality (tenacity, flexibility, drive, cunning, etc.) as much as their underlying ownership (acknowledging that some timeshare properties trade better than others).

Over the years, starting at 2002'ish, we've made many trades into DVC and none were during the Covid period.
  • BWV Studio: 2x
  • BWV 2BR: 1x
  • BWV 1BR: 3 or 4 times?
  • VB 1BR: 2x
  • SSR GV: 1x
  • SSR 1BR: 2x in Summer 2019 ... and maybe a third time prior.
I'm one of the successful ones ... but I've read plenty from others who were not so successful. Maybe they quit trying too soon .... or maybe they take less pleasure from "the thrill of the hunt."

But are there that many DVC rooms available in RCI? When we stalked their site years ago, intending to use a relatives week, we could never find availability. Decided getting one was akin to hitting the lottery and never tried again. Are things different now? And if so, is it a short term thing because of the influx of covid impacted dvc points?
I don’t know but have a few friends who say they have had a tough time as well.

Last edited:
I spend a lot of time on the TUG timeshare boards and it’s pretty clear now that the only thing deposited into RCI any more are one bedrooms, most often at SSR. There’s been more during Covid, it sounds like-probably those unable to travel to Florida who deposit their points in a last ditch effort-so availability bow is more than usual.

Also with Wyndham, it’s just as easy to book a week at BC for $600 and flip it for $1200. I honestly don’t get why so many people bash Wyndham resale because it’s a cheap buy in.

Re-renting of RCI trades, if discovered, will result in your renter being denied the room.

Re-renting of RCI trades, if discovered, will result in your renter being denied the room.
Agreed but I read the context of @cbyrne1174's post to mean they are booking Wyndham Bonnet Creek (BC) as owners and renting out their own week ... not something booked through RCI.

I’m not sure about browsing availability. I know a year out when I’m going to want to go, so I just have an ongoing request for OKW and SSR every summer. I’m able to get it every time because I’m first in line.

We are in a very similar situation. Larger family, kids getting older, 846 pts. While I prefer the condo/home idea, she loves on site. We are keeping the status quo at least for a while. As disney makes changes and makes regular attendance less desirable that may change. We have the same debate several times a year. She's happier on site. When she's not, we will pull back.

We own a second home in the Florida Panhandle where we snowbird. That qualifies us for the less expensive WDW APs. We watch the weather in January and February and head to WDW when it’s going to be cold in our area and 10-15 degrees warmer in Orlando. We’re okay staying offsite so can stay at a decent 1 BR condo-style resort for about $150 per night. This works for us and our budget. it leaves the home available for shoulder and high season rental and we can still go when we block it off. We don’t like it hot, preferring temps in the 60s and 70s to the 80s and 90s.

We are in a very similar situation. Larger family, kids getting older, 846 pts. While I prefer the condo/home idea, she loves on site. We are keeping the status quo at least for a while. As disney makes changes and makes regular attendance less desirable that may change. We have the same debate several times a year. She's happier on site. When she's not, we will pull back.

When you do decide to change your ownership, look into selling your DVC points and buying into another system (resale of course). Most empty nesters prefer Marriott over Wyndham. They have the best kid free locations. Wyndham has the best kid locations. Marriott DC trust points work mostly the same as DVC without have to worry about home priority and deed expiration. Both Marriott and Wyndham are really easy to buy into resale. Redweek is the best place to go for Marriott points, but lately Marriott has been exercising ROFR on the cheaper points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!