When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woa! Some of us enjoy the cold. You just need to be born here to enjoy it.
The term bitter cold is just that, nothing negative. Don't think that you can argue that Canada is bitter cold. We lived in Ct for 10 years, its just that, bitter cold.

Love that area was there yesterday in Sarasota. I imagine some Canadians will be over cautious and stay home. Others will be like us and realize or come to see that what’s being told to them by CTV and pushed be certain people in Canada is largely overblown and not in the proper prospective and a way of controlling the population. I feel safer with more controls in place than I did in Ontario.

I would hardly call people choosing to stay in Canada "over cautious".

I've recently learned that some of my closest friends (all retired, well read, and well educated Canadians) believe that Coronavirus is basically a hoax. Their logic is: there are very few cases in Canada, therefore our precautions are unnecessary. They don't accept my counterargument that there are very few cases in Canada because we are taking precautions.

I have also learned that my friends have views on topics like immigration, race relations, etc. which are offensive to me (similar to the views of a certain person who I won't name). I'm amazed that there are people I've known for well over forty years who I apparently didn't know at all.

Sadly, it is more accurate to call these people my "ex-friends", since I'm in the process of gradually and delicately extricating them from my life.

There seem to be more and more protests recently in Canada, where Canadians are complaining about our coronavirus precautions.

Me too. Can't stand the ones who are constantly pushing this view on Facebook - posting everything that supports their bias from questionable sources. I had no idea I was associated with this many idiots.

So even if chances of getting Covid-19 can be low if taking precautions, what if you need an ICU bed for another reason like a heart attack but they are full?!?
Agree. I know more than 20 plus snowbirds. None are going back to Florida this fall. Most own homes there. All have American contacts and friends in their communities who are living nearby. All have strongly suggested or out right warned Canadians not to return until at least early next winter. Covid numbers too high. Food security in grocery stores is a concern. Too stressful and too much risk re election fall out and riots.

Travel insurance to the US is a big deal. If someone has a wonderful offer or tip, pls post so we can take a look at it. I don't know any main stream insurers offering full, supportive coverage to the US. To individual Carib islands for all inclusive resorts sponsored by desperate Cdn airlines - we know about those. Maybe if you stay in the bubble you will be OK. We hope.

Big practical issue: Most snowbirds not comfortable flying on a plane esp from Toronto to Orlando. ps if you've found a loophole to duck through customs and can drive through, I don't really want to hear about it. Let's stay safe, be smart, protect our seniors, parents, grandparents and our vulnerable with health conditions. Heck, lets protect our economy by keeping Canadian workers and consumers safe and able to get into the stores and stock those shelves for the winter. I love the US and my American cousins. But the next 6 months is not a smart time to travel.

The question that I always want to ask the people who think Covid is a hoax is, “Why? Who is creating this hoax and what is the motivation?” I’m a scientist and so far, all the science seems to check out. I read multiple journal articles every day and doesn’t seem like a hoax to me or to all the other scientists peer reviewing these articles.

Last edited:
“Why? Who is creating this hoax and what is the motivation?”
Agree. Most nations enjoy global interdependency. Free trade. Free (mostly) travel and commerce. Free(ish) exchange of good, money and people makes the world go round. No hoax here. When the dust settles and people are saf(er), will be some pressing questions as to 1) why didn't our govts warn us earlier? Don't tell us we are sheeple and couldn't handle it 2) why didn't our free press push harder - maybe domestic politics sells more than global virus? PC issues? All to be explored and either debunked or fleshed out who knows 3) for the responsible nation where this originated, why wasn't there full transparency and both early and conscientious national and international warning? 4) for international organizations, both political and medical, why didn't they raise the alarm bells loudly rather than padding them with political considerations? Fear for career professionals' own personal careers and reputations? Lots of blame to go around. In time. Think everyone hopes blame will result in constructive, positive changes to make the world a safer place.

Note to self - get my winter tires soon. Seems that will be the next thing flying off the shelves since the snow birds are staying. It's bad enough I have to wait in line on a Saturday in the grocery store with those retirees, now I won't be able to find snow tires. Damn them!

Agree. Most nations enjoy global interdependency. Free trade. Free (mostly) travel and commerce. Free(ish) exchange of good, money and people makes the world go round. No hoax here. When the dust settles and people are saf(er), will be some pressing questions as to 1) why didn't our govts warn us earlier? Don't tell us we are sheeple and couldn't handle it 2) why didn't our free press push harder - maybe domestic politics sells more than global virus? PC issues? All to be explored and either debunked or fleshed out who knows 3) for the responsible nation where this originated, why wasn't there full transparency and both early and conscientious national and international warning? 4) for international organizations, both political and medical, why didn't they raise the alarm bells loudly rather than padding them with political considerations? Fear for career professionals' own personal careers and reputations? Lots of blame to go around. In time. Think everyone hopes blame will result in constructive, positive changes to make the world a safer place.

Actually blame rarely does this. And if you blame governments in countries where it started you must also blame leaders that refuse to take it seriously today.

The federal government will extend the Canada-U.S. land border closure for another 30 days until Oct. 21, CBC News has learned. A source with direct knowledge of the situation, who spoke to CBC on the condition they not be named, said Canadians should expect the border to remain closed at least through the Christmas holidays and possibly for longer.

Canada to keep border with U.S. closed until at least Oct. 21, says source

The federal government will extend the Canada-U.S. land border closure for another 30 days until Oct. 21, CBC News has learned. A source with direct knowledge of the situation, who spoke to CBC on the condition they not be named, said Canadians should expect the border to remain closed at least through the Christmas holidays and possibly for longer.

Canada to keep border with U.S. closed until at least Oct. 21, says source
I fully expected that! My guess? Not til March of next year at the earliest :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!