When Disney parks reopen will they be safe enough to visit?

When Disney parks reopen will they be safe enough to visit?

• Yes

Votes: 112 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 39 15.5%
  • Have to review their capacity limits and cleaning guidelines

Votes: 53 21.1%
  • I'm postponing my visit to later in 2020 /2021.

Votes: 47 18.7%

• Total voters
It isn't just about those who get the virus. It's about EVERYONE/ANYONE who may need to be hospitalized. Think about people who have heart attacks or strokes, get hit by a car, fall into a pool, get burned, shot, etc. What happens to them if hospitals are full?

It isn't just about those who get the virus. It's about EVERYONE/ANYONE who may need to be hospitalized. Think about people who have heart attacks or strokes, get hit by a car, fall into a pool, get burned, shot, etc. What happens to them if hospitals are full?

I can answer that because DH works in healthcare, and these protocols have been outlined already for them. If a young child (for example) is in a car accident and requires a ventilator, then the 85 year old in the ICU on a ventilator from COVID-19 will be taken off said ventilator.

I can answer that because DH works in healthcare, and these protocols have been outlined already for them. If a young child (for example) is in a car accident and requires a ventilator, then the 85 year old in the ICU on a ventilator from COVID-19 will be taken off said ventilator.

Thats really the core of what we are trying to prevent with social isolation. So many people don't understand that.

I know that is the major concern. I just wish there was better data available. Hospital capacity is a huge issue. They are usually mostly full from everything else going on. I think some of the precautions at this point might be overkill, but its better to do them than not just in case. Population density is a huge factor it seems. And there isn't enough testing to really see how transmittable and dangerous it is. I am of the firm belief china's numbers are garbage and can't be trusted. Only around 10% of people tested in the US so far are showing as positive which is surprising since a lot of states are only letting people with a lot of symptoms get tested.

In answer to the question that's the title of this thread--When Disney parks reopen will they be safe enough to visit?--I can only hope that Disney is wise enough to put public health and safety over money. Because whenever the parks do open, people are going to visit, no matter what the situation with the coronavirus is. Just because WDW is magical and beautiful doesn't give it special immunity.

Thats really the core of what we are trying to prevent with social isolation. So many people don't understand that.

Yep. I agree. DH and I talked about it last night. In a vacuum, indefinite social distancing and shutting everything down until there is a vaccine or we’ve hit herd immunity is the best solution we have right now. Unfortunately, we live in the real world. Over half of Americans don’t have more than $400 saved. With all the layoffs from shuttered businesses, people won’t be able to afford to eat, fill the car with gas, etc despite allowing people to delay paying certain bills. The hard reality is that many people live paycheck to paycheck. Because of this, they will be forced to reopen the country, and our most vulnerable may die in large numbers.

I will state again that any projections using NYC as the model are questionable at best. No other city in the entire country is even close to as dense as NYC. I personally have one of my best friends who lives up there with her baby and husband, so trust me when I say I am very concerned about what’s going on there. However, NYC isn’t like any other place in the US as any New Yorker will tell you. I sincerely hope this doesn’t change (more than I can tell you) but hospital volumes in Houston and in many other parts of the country are unusually extremely low. They’re cutting hours right now. This could all change tomorrow, but at least for now, things are under control in many other parts of the country. Let’s all hope and pray it stays that way, and these measures really start to show that they’re working sooner rather than later. Work with the data we have now, and hope the worst doesn’t happen everywhere else. Worrying about the worst case scenarios constantly will do nothing but stress you out. Preparing for the worst case is really all we can do at this point.

Last edited:
I accept that is what your state had decided. But there are no national guidelines to that effect.

I'm cynical enough to believe if the 85 year old is wealthy or has political connections, or the child is homeless, undocumented or the "wrong" race, the guidelines won't be strictly adhered to.

Isn't it better to socially isolate to prevent the need to make those terrible decisions? I sincerely hope your DH never has to. It would give me nightmares .

The hard reality is that many people live paycheck to paycheck. Because of this, they will be forced to reopen the country, and our most vulnerable may die in large numbers.

Yes, this is true. And just because they are opened up, things will not just go back to normal. I wonder if cruise ships and theme parks will be profitable. Yes, some will go ( and die or cause others to die), but many will not. Most of my friends will not do that or fly until there is a treatment of a vaccine. So opening it up won't change the fear people will have. It isn't all up to the government to open or not. Does that make sense. Our economy has been changed. I'm not sure we can go back.

I will state again that any projections using NYC as the model are questionable at best.
And you can not treat every place in the country as though it were NYC. Nor can you treat every place as though it was rural Alaska. It is why it falls on local leadership, and national guidelines.

Its a fine line to walk. Particularly in an election year.

I accept that is what your state had decided. But there are no national guidelines to that effect.

I'm cynical enough to believe if the 85 year old is wealthy or has political connections, or the child is homeless, undocumented or the "wrong" race, the guidelines won't be strictly adhered to.

Isn't it better to socially isolate to prevent the need to make those terrible decisions? I sincerely hope your DH never has to. It would give me nightmares .

Just to clarify, it isn't a state issue. Many hospitals, like the one DH works for, are national corporations with hospitals in many states. I don't want to get him in trouble, so I won't name the company. This is the hospital's decision based on available resources, and they are a private corporation, so they get to make the decision.

HOWEVER, I completely agree that a very wealthy older person (Prince Charles, for example) would most likely get better treatment, and the rules would be different for them. They always are...

I am torn... my Mother and I are teachers, and this year we rented points, as our DVC contract doesn't populate until December. We went a bit... nuts. First batch of points (105) was to be used right now, had to rebook for a 1 bedroom for three days May 29-June 1, as the rented points have a June UY. We already had a "school's out" June trip (again, rented points) for 6 days... those points, it turns out, have a July UY. Then there's July at Aulani. And August. And November (our welcome home). And December.

Total of around 600 points in limbo. Is it worth risking it to go? Again, I am torn.

I keep hearing this theory that the hospital system will be overrun with cases.
This is just another exaggeration being spread with little evidence to back it up.

In BOTH cases cited above it was a new strain of Flu we were experiencing. BOTH strain we had no immunity too, which is why they were so deadly. In the case of covid there is little evidence to show that it is more infectious then H1n1 or the 2017 H3 flu strains. We did actually have some trouble in 2017 with support care in the hospitals.

We need to stop parroting what we are reading on social media , since all its really doing it amping people into a frenzy panic. Currently most of the “stories” about young people getting it and dying are either internet rumor without sources, or when you investigate , the young person had serious health issues. You have to go beyond that Facebook post to see the reality.
What we should be doing is isolating the susceptible people , elderly and immunocompromised. So that need immunity can take hold in the populations that are NOT at major risk.
It the much more simple and effective that what is happening now.
Now we have “senior only” shopping days???? Who decided that was a good idea? Let’s get the entire risk population in the same place at the same time??? So if one person in that crowd is actively shedding virus......they can all get it?
World leader are making decisions based on media and popular frenzy, not logic.

It seems to me that you are not willing to make whatever sacrifice is needed and take on the responsibility of being an adult to ensure that the hospitals are not overrun so people are not being treated or healthcare personnel need to decide if person A or person B gets to live only based only upon their age and therefore their chances to survive.

If you practice social distancing etc you, me and everyone have a much better chance of surviving and going through this with as little an impact as possible.

I would hate that healthcare decided that my life was not worth saving because i'm in my forties and had an accident and instead used the ventilator for someone else with or without corona.

If needed we should all be able to get treatment but reality have it that everyone can't have treatment if there isn't enough equipment for everyone.

Thats why if we need to send i.e. 500.000 to the hospital because of corona we can not and must not do it at the same time we have to spread it out.

I am torn... my Mother and I are teachers, and this year we rented points, as our DVC contract doesn't populate until December. We went a bit... nuts. First batch of points (105) was to be used right now, had to rebook for a 1 bedroom for three days May 29-June 1, as the rented points have a June UY. We already had a "school's out" June trip (again, rented points) for 6 days... those points, it turns out, have a July UY. Then there's July at Aulani. And August. And November (our welcome home). And December.

Total of around 600 points in limbo. Is it worth risking it to go? Again, I am torn.

When you say populate what do you mean by that?

Just to clarify: with a December use year, you 2019 points can be used for a reservation from 1st of December 2019 - November 30th 2020. You didn't have to wait until December 2019 to come around before using your points. You just needed to wait until you could make a reservation in December 2019 which was in January 2019. Same goes for your 2020 points.

For the record, there is no July use year, same goes for January, May, July and November.

When you say populate what do you mean by that?

Just to clarify: with a December use year, you 2019 points can be used for a reservation from 1st of December 2019 - November 30th 2020. You didn't have to wait until December 2019 to come around before using your points. You just needed to wait until you could make a reservation in December 2019 which was in January 2019. Same goes for your 2020 points.

For the record, there is no July use year, same goes for January, May, July and November.
Apologies, it is an August use year (expire July 31st).

My points start in December 2020. When I said "welcome home" I was simply using it as shorthand for my first reservation using my own points. The reason that this is in November is because my December contract has a few points in 2019.

Edit: populate indicates a filling of data; in this case, points.

I am slightly older, will be 63 in two weeks but am very healthy. For myself, I would probably go if they re-opened but given the risk of spreading something to someone else, probably won't. We have a 5th Wheel RV and when and if the State Parks and Beaches start opening up again around May or June, we will probably load that up and take a trip since we pretty stick to ourselves on those trips.

We had a trip planned for Spring Break that was to start the day before the park closed. We decided to cancel a day before Disney announced the parks will close. We rescheduled a trip in early August hoping by then that the virus will be better understood by then. Hoping is the most important word in that sentence.

I find it difficult to believe that Disney will open its parks until there is much more clarity around what it takes to keep things reasonably safe. I think this likely means that its May (maybe even Memorial Day) before the parks open again. But what do I know.

I can see why folks may think this is no big deal. I'm in Houston with a couple million other people - there are probably less than 100 folks in the hospital with this right now. In West Texas (which is vast and larger than almost every state) there are almost no cases. This makes it hard for folks to believe it is worth all this. Still, I believe it is. I believe that we all must work for 4-6 weeks to arrest the rapid spread of this and give hospitals and "the system" time to figure this out. I heard one politician say that "we are building the plane while we are flying it." More like they are building it while they are LEARNING to fly it.

For the folks in NYC and close in NJ - God bless you and stay safe.

Apologies, it is an August use year (expire July 31st).

My points start in December 2020. When I said "welcome home" I was simply using it as shorthand for my first reservation using my own points. The reason that this is in November is because my December contract has a few points in 2019.

Edit: populate indicates a filling of data; in this case, points.
Once you account is active, all your points are in there, they do not get loaded in the future. Your 2040 points are there, you just can not make a reservation at this time that can use them.

If you chose to look at it that way, then your points get "loaded" or "Populated" 1 year and 11 months before the first day of the UY - since that is the first day you can make a reservation with those points.

With an August UY, your August 2020 points were "loaded" on September 1st, 2018 - as you could have booked a trip for August 1, 2019 on that day, and you could have borrowed 2020 points to do so, had you desired.

Once you account is active, all your points are in there, they do not get loaded in the future. Your 2040 points are there, you just can not make a reservation at this time that can use them.

If you chose to look at it that way, then your points get "loaded" or "Populated" 1 year and 11 months before the first day of the UY - since that is the first day you can make a reservation with those points.

With an August UY, your August 2020 points were "loaded" on September 1st, 2018 - as you could have booked a trip for August 1, 2019 on that day, and you could have borrowed 2020 points to do so, had you desired.
I am not borrowing. Thank you for reminding me of the basic rules of DVC, but I fail to see how this rehashing is at all related to the topic at hand. Are you really that bored?

I am not borrowing. Thank you for reminding me of the basic rules of DVC, but I fail to see how this rehashing is at all related to the topic at hand. Are you really that bored?
wow. unnecessary. And since this forum isn't just about you, it could be possible that others benefit. Sun shines on other people too.

Last edited:
wow. unnecessary.
I am not trying to be rude, but I really did want to engage in the actual dialogue of the post, and not be replied to repeatedly to quibble about the minutae of my points usage.

I do want to apologise to you Trader sam-- I didn't read the name, and thought that it was the same person repeatedly responding to my posts.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter