When did DL security become so tight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I just got back from Disneyland yesterday after 5 days of being there. I think it's sad we're at the point of needing drug/bomb sniffing dogs at security. When did that start? After 9/11? I'm almost 43 and have been to Disneyland 20+ times. I have NO memory of those dogs at security when I was a kid. I also have no memory of when they started. Other than that, I had a fabulous time. I wasn't ready to leave, though my feet felt differently. Lol. ETA- I get WHY DL needs tightened security. The world's a crazy place, but I still think it's sad.

Last edited:
I just got back from Disneyland yesterday after 5 days of being there. I think it's sad we're at the point of needing drug/bomb sniffing dogs at security. When did that start? After 9/11? I'm almost 43 and have been to Disneyland 20+ times. I have NO memory of those dogs at security when I was a kid. I also have no memory of when they started. Other than that, I had a fabulous time. I wasn't ready to leave, though my feet felt differently. Lol.
The dogs have been there for years but the pass through tent was implemented during the DTD Covid reopening.

I just got back from Disneyland yesterday after 5 days of being there. I think it's sad we're at the point of needing drug/bomb sniffing dogs at security. When did that start? After 9/11? I'm almost 43 and have been to Disneyland 20+ times. I have NO memory of those dogs at security when I was a kid. I also have no memory of when they started. Other than that, I had a fabulous time. I wasn't ready to leave, though my feet felt differently. Lol.
Dogs have been around more visible for the last 18 mos. Prior to that, they were around, but not as highly visible. Last trip, the people behind us were stopped, and had fire crackers in their backpacks. A lot of years ago (2002/2003 timeframe) 4th of July, they were in the park and found some fireworks in a planter. It is interesting what they find.

Dogs have been around more visible for the last 18 mos. Prior to that, they were around, but not as highly visible. Last trip, the people behind us were stopped, and had fire crackers in their backpacks. A lot of years ago (2002/2003 timeframe) 4th of July, they were in the park and found some fireworks in a planter. It is interesting what they find.

I was walking way behind some people when the dog alerted on them. They were refusing to allow their bags be searched when we walked by. I don’t know what happened after that. I do think those dogs likely stop people from bringing in things they aren’t supposed to more often than people think.

I remember seeing them more in DTD when it wasn’t within the security area. When did security move to encompass DTD? The COViD time warp has really messed with my memory, but I think it was before 2019.
Dtd joined the bubble in late 2016 I want to say

They are not sniffing for drugs, they're explosives detecting dogs. My husband was alerted on and they asked him if he had any explosives or gunpowder on him, which of course he didn't. The dogs aren't always right. They let my husband go after him simply saying "no." They didn't search him or anything.

For what it's worth the dogs working at DL are very good, especially the ones going after explosives and gun powder residue. Went with a friend of mine and the dog hit on her backpack. She went shooting a few days prior and used the same backpack. My friend is a K9 handler for the DEA and chatted up the DL handler. She was very impressed.

I know security is not always going to catch everything but we were there in early June after Uvalde. Being from Texas and that being a very recent event, I commented to my wife that it was nice to not have to worry about a mass shooting during our trip. We felt extremely safe the entire time.

It was top of mind as people would ask where we were from and then offer condolences for Uvalde. Even having security before you get into Downtown Disney was nice. Security seemed a lot more thorough this trip. We would joke beforehand if we were getting the super thorough security person this time. Every time, they were almost emptying our bags out and I was completely fine with it.

The dogs have been there, as others have said, for years.

I think I noticed a 'step up' in the DTD/Esplanade presence of dogs, LEOs and Disney's uniformed security after the horrific shooting at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas in 2017. I noticed the same at WDW Park entrance plazas and at Disney Springs. I think a LOT of places started making their security tighter and more 'visible' after that.

For what it's worth the dogs working at DL are very good, especially the ones going after explosives and gun powder residue. Went with a friend of mine and the dog hit on her backpack. She went shooting a few days prior and used the same backpack. My friend is a K9 handler for the DEA and chatted up the DL handler. She was very impressed.
That's interesting. My husband and sons have entered several times with backpacks that they routinely use for their shooting supplies, and the dogs have never given them a second glance.

I just got back from Disneyland yesterday after 5 days of being there. I think it's sad we're at the point of needing drug/bomb sniffing dogs at security. When did that start?

The world is a very different place from when we were kids. I’m glad they have the security measures they do at Disneyland - even if it does take a little longer to get inside. Definitely makes me feel a lot safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter