Wheelchair availability

daisylovesdisney

Mouseketeer
We have two long park days scheduled in our upcoming August trip. It's been a few years since our last trip and I'm not sure my mom will be able to do all the walking. We'll be hopping from DHS to Epcot on a Monday and AK to MK on a Wednesday.

Are there usually wheelchairs available for rent in the afternoon? She's not able to operate a scooter.

Should be since manual wheelchairs are more plentiful and less in demand since most people rent/bring their own.

How long will you be there and are you staying onsite? Just asking if getting an offsite wheelchair for the whole time would be best? Going back ten years or so, my DH did ok walking, it was the standing that did him in. And the worst was standing waiting for a bus. He didn't like the standing in lines,(who does) but at least you keep moving.

as @Groot said they should have them but they are not that good shape so you may want to have an outside vender number just incase.
Well, then again, the rental companies use the same type of manual wheelchair (Invacare Tracer IV or similar aka “The Grandma Special”, see pic below), so if you’re expecting something a little bit nicer (think TiLite, Quickie, etc.), then you’d better either find a rental store in your area and take it on the plane with you (It’ll fly for free since its a medical item) or buy one on you own.
CD2162DA-CF34-460E-9E10-1BCD2FCC05AE.jpeg

Should be since manual wheelchairs are more plentiful and less in demand since most people rent/bring their own.
Thank you, this is very promising!

as @Groot said they should have them but they are not that good shape so you may want to have an outside vender number just incase.
I will keep that in mind just in case, thank you.

How long will you be there and are you staying onsite? Just asking if getting an offsite wheelchair for the whole time would be best? Going back ten years or so, my DH did ok walking, it was the standing that did him in. And the worst was standing waiting for a bus. He didn't like the standing in lines,(who does) but at least you keep moving.
We'll be there for 9 days but will spend most days at the resort pool. We only have two park days scheduled and my mom is not really open to using a wheelchair, I just want to know the option is there should we need it later on the long park days.

Well, then again, the rental companies use the same type of manual wheelchair (Invacare Tracer IV or similar aka “The Grandma Special”, see pic below), so if you’re expecting something a little bit nicer (think TiLite, Quickie, etc.), then you’d better either find a rental store in your area and take it on the plane with you (It’ll fly for free since its a medical item) or buy one on you own.
View attachment 671734
I think the DIsney option will be okay for the couple of days we may need it but I'll look into the different options. Thank you for the suggestion.

View attachment 671734
Not likely to find a TiLite or Quickie wheelchair to rent. Those companies make custom manual wheelchairs that cost around $5000 and up.

We'll be there for 9 days but will spend most days at the resort pool. We only have two park days scheduled and my mom is not really open to using a wheelchair, I just want to know the option is there should we need it later on the long park days.

I think the DIsney option will be okay for the couple of days we may need it but I'll look into the different options. Thank you for the suggestion.
Maybe a rollartor (walker with wheels and a seat) might be something to look into for those resort days. Were you planning on going to disney springs or resort hopping? Those side trips can add up to a fair amount of steps too. And the airport too. Some cost about $75

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Rollator-Removable-Support/dp/B00NFJX0PU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2N549STDM8U0V&keywords=rollator+walker+with+seat&qid=1653567408&sprefix=rolla,aps,104&sr=8-5&th=1

I mention this because before my DH needed help, I had no idea what was out there. Tell your mom if she feels she can walk, that's great, but at least she will also have a seat when ever she needs one.

Have a great trip.

remember that unless there are parking lot chairs available at end of day park chair can not be used to get to your car or other transportation. very little seating while waiting for transportation. something to think about with long park days

Maybe a rollartor (walker with wheels and a seat) might be something to look into for those resort days. Were you planning on going to disney springs or resort hopping? Those side trips can add up to a fair amount of steps too. And the airport too. Some cost about $75

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Rollator-Removable-Support/dp/B00NFJX0PU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2N549STDM8U0V&keywords=rollator+walker+with+seat&qid=1653567408&sprefix=rolla,aps,104&sr=8-5&th=1

I mention this because before my DH needed help, I had no idea what was out there. Tell your mom if she feels she can walk, that's great, but at least she will also have a seat when ever she needs one.

Have a great trip.
That's an idea, we actually have a new rollator that was purchased for another family member that sadly did not make it home from the hospital to use it.

remember that unless there are parking lot chairs available at end of day park chair can not be used to get to your car or other transportation. very little seating while waiting for transportation. something to think about with long park days
That is a concern, I'll discuss this with her more as we get closer. I know that last walk to get to the bus late at night can be tough even when you're young and fit. And our bus no matter the resort always seems to be at the farthest end lol.

That is a concern, I'll discuss this with her more as we get closer. I know that last walk to get to the bus late at night can be tough even when you're young and fit. And our bus no matter the resort always seems to be at the farthest end lol.
this is what moved me to a scooter as there were no benches to rest and the standing killed me. we were always one of the furthest stops from the gate. Ps I was an active grandma at the time

And then you might be on a ”Sardine Bus” where it’s standing room only.

This past may at AK, they let not just me and my husband use regular park wheelchairs to get to our car but several others behind us. The cast members were extremely kind.

First, let me say the average trek in the parks is 6 miles. This is because you are in and out of attractions that require walking: it's not just going around the park. Next, with park hopping I would say you are looking more like 10 miles a day.

My best answer is getting a transport wheelchair. They are much lighter. Your mom can also use this as walker if she chooses to do so. You will need to buy one and I would say you are looking at $150. If you are flying this does not count against your luggage. These transport wheelchairs fold up and flatten to a degree (you'll need to remove the legs) and can fit them in a lot of cars. They are a little smaller, too than a regular wheelchair. Sometimes, a pharmacy like Walgreens will have them in stock at their store. Maybe, call ahead and see about the availability of store stock on it if you don't want to buy one ahead of time.

We used a transport wheelchair for my mom at least 10 times at Disney. We really like it. We continued to use it as she needed it even around our house going places. We felt safer with it. You don't want your mom to fall or trip, either. AK has many different surfaces to walk on, for example.

Agree with the PP about a transport chair! I actually got one for my Dad after renting a manual wheelchair at Zoo Tampa that was like, out of alignment or something LOL Anyhow, got it from Walmart online, it is a nice red (Dad likes that), folds down so it fits in the back of their Kia Soul, and weighs 14 lbs. It was like $120 I think and worth it. He *actually* likes it!

We used to rent the parks' manual wheelchairs regularly for grandma, but now always get the scooters, typically from an offsite company. A few months ago, we made a last minute trip and didn't get a scooter, and decided to just get a wheelchair at the park. We got there right around noon time, but were told that the people in front of us got the last wheelchair - so frustrating!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter