What's your supply chain issue? How's this one for a start?

Well, more good news out from Bloomberg and the Wall Street Journal today on both the US and International supply chain crisis easing. There are still bottleneck around the world, and any covid outbreaks near ports, especially in Asia, could continue to throw a wrench in the system here and there. But experts are predicting that the worst is behind us and that we'll begin to see improvement, especially after the New Year...and Lunar New year. The easing and eventual end to the supply chain crisis is also going to take a lot of heat out of the inflation spike that we're experiencing now. Links below:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-11-18/the-u-s-supply-chain-crisis-is-already-easing
https://www.wsj.com/articles/supply-chain-problems-show-signs-of-easing-11637496002?mod=hp_lead_pos1

The other good news is that at least we're past the peak demand shipping season. If it needed to be here for the holidays, it's either already here, has left port and is sitting somewhere already, or has been cancelled. Going into January the demand for shipping should ease due to lower volume, which should allow ports to catch up on what's already sitting there.

We have had a couple of items that have been difficult.

DH sleeps with a c-pap that has a humidifier attachment. We use distilled water for it, and have had a difficult time finding it. And when we do find it, we can rarely get the 3 gallon containers we prefer.

we have also noticed some snack items are not easily found. We went looking for gingersnaps (really wanted the gingerbread Oreos that were out last year, but can’t find them anywhere) and they were totally out. We have never not found them before.

I had been looking for them, too. Couldn't find them anywhere. And then, I was wandering around the Christmas section of Target and found them on a hidden end cap. So weird and random. Maybe see if yours is the same.

So what are the turkey prices in your area? Most Thanksgiving sales should have started by now.

We got a fresh turkey from our butcher for 2.39/lb and then I got 2 big turkeys for the freezer for .79/lb. We are set for the winter.

I have found theater box candy to be in short supply. There is always some available, but way less kinds than usual. Even at Dollar Tree which would usually have a very wide variety there's not usually very many kinds.

Also I wanted Reese's peanut butter Giant bars for my son for Christmas. Looked at 5 stores (some more than once over a couple of weeks) before I found some.

Do you have a Menards? Ours is always well stocked with theater candy.

I still have not run into any shortages or anything here in MN. I am not sure if it is because we aren't short here or I just shop for things others don't.

And, as far as prices...I have not noticed that, either, outside of the low carb tortillas we use daily. They went up in late summer, though. I still spend $100 a week and have everything we need (we bought a cow in February, so our freezer is stocked with meat)

I just want to add to what you said about Kohl’s. My son has a job interview tomorrow so I told him I’d stop into Kohl’s and pick up a new white dress shirt. Well the men’s department was completely done over and the many cases that held the shirts was completely gone. I asked a worker and all they had left was a few dress shirts on hangers. I also noticed the suits area was gone also. My son went to Macy’s last night and was successful.

I also looked in Kohl’s for something “holiday partyish” to wear to my dh’s work party next month and there was nothing. Normally this time of year there would be an area of “dressy” clothes. Nothing.
Kohls is a hit or miss. I was able to find more dress slants for my seasonal retail job at a great discount, but could not find a white button down shirt or a black skirt (to replace old ones I had for years that I needed to get rid of) and they had nothing. I was very disappointed.

Waited 3 and a half months for a replacement windshield wiper control wand for my daughter's mustang.

Dry dog food wiped out at my grocery store, did not have my dog's food. That is the 2nd store that was out of it. Grabbed last bag of same brand but different type so hopefully it's OK for her. Cat food was pretty sparse too.
No iceberg lettuce heads.
I did get what I needed for Thanksgiving dinner so that is a plus. Hopefully when I go out on Wednesday to get the fresh produce I'll be just as lucky.

I have to chuckle at the language around inflation from CEOs these days. The CEO of Smuckers this morning....""Inflation has been driven by the cost of ingredients, transportation and some cases some isolated labor issues," says $SJM CEO Mark Smucker. "We have been successful in passing along those costs to our retail customers and the consumer has responded very well."

All of that to say..."we're selling a lot of expensive jelly". ;).

Regular caffeine free Pepsi is impossible to find here except in 2 liter bottles. Regular, not diet. I don’t drink it, but a few relatives have been looking for it. I checked the stores I was in today & there’s not even a place for it anymore.

I have to chuckle at the language around inflation from CEOs these days. The CEO of Smuckers this morning....""Inflation has been driven by the cost of ingredients, transportation and some cases some isolated labor issues," says $SJM CEO Mark Smucker. "We have been successful in passing along those costs to our retail customers and the consumer has responded very well."

All of that to say..."we're selling a lot of expensive jelly". ;).

And customers are buying it.

Regular caffeine free Pepsi is impossible to find here except in 2 liter bottles. Regular, not diet. I don’t drink it, but a few relatives have been looking for it. I checked the stores I was in today & there’s not even a place for it anymore.
Funny, I haven't be able to find caffeine free Coke anywhere for months, but can find the CF Pepsi sometimes.

Dry dog food wiped out at my grocery store, did not have my dog's food. That is the 2nd store that was out of it. Grabbed last bag of same brand but different type so hopefully it's OK for her. Cat food was pretty sparse too.
No iceberg lettuce heads.
I did get what I needed for Thanksgiving dinner so that is a plus. Hopefully when I go out on Wednesday to get the fresh produce I'll be just as lucky.
I’m so worried about this with my dog! While we luck out she’s a small dog so the largest bag they sell lasts a good 4 months, there is only one pet store that sells it in our area. Thankfully it’s the next town over. Unfortunately, they were severely flooded (I’m talking they are redoing the place from the ground up and they sadly lost one of the bunnies they have in their special pen area) during Ida and are STILL not finished. I’m actually concerned for them reopening by January when they want to be. I’m so worried we might have to chewy order it (love chewy but don’t like ordering food because we have a lot of chipmunks and squirrels in the area that have been known to destroy boxes).

I’m so worried about this with my dog! While we luck out she’s a small dog so the largest bag they sell lasts a good 4 months, there is only one pet store that sells it in our area. Thankfully it’s the next town over. Unfortunately, they were severely flooded (I’m talking they are redoing the place from the ground up and they sadly lost one of the bunnies they have in their special pen area) during Ida and are STILL not finished. I’m actually concerned for them reopening by January when they want to be. I’m so worried we might have to chewy order it (love chewy but don’t like ordering food because we have a lot of chipmunks and squirrels in the area that have been known to destroy boxes).

The good thing about dogs is that you can easily make their food. Cats are a bit harder, but still doable. In fact, it is better for them to eat real food then the kibble. My aunt had a Pomeranian that she was feeding "good", vet recommended food and developed colitis from the food. Then she started giving the dog food that she prepared and it made a huge difference. Even the vet said that the dog seemed to have become younger. Most of these pet foods are actually so bad for the animals. It's sad really how they are allowed to sell them even. But I think that there is a trend starting to not accept those foods that are all fillers.

Did our grocery shopping today, and all the perishable holiday items were half off. Fresh Turkeys, cranberries, pies, and judging from the piles and piles of these items, they didn't run out. The non-perishable stuff of course they can sell for Christmas dinner.
Walmart WAS out of 6 and 12 packs of eggs, but they had plenty of 18 packs and flats of 60 eggs.

I’m another with a car issue. My beloved 2007 Honda Odyssey has been deemed unsafe to drive due to a large hole rusted through the subframe. Replacing the rear subframe would cost about $5000 and there are several more issues including power steering and a leaky main seal that would add several thousand more to the bill. I can’t see putting that much money into it knowing that other areas could be rusting as well, but there are no minivans available right now. I guess we’re going to need to live with one car for a while. Fortunately, my husband is still working from home and the preschool where I worked shut down, so we don’t really need two vehicles right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter