What's the Skinny on Perks for Staying at Disney Affiliated Property?

consultant

Mouseketeer
Last time I was at a Disney Park, it was Disney World and we purposely stayed at an affiliated hotel for the sole purpose of being able to reserve ride entry times (especially Avatar) 30 days sooner than the general public. I believe at the time, those staying at an actual Disney Property got a 60-day advanced lead but those properties are so outrageously expensive, it wasn't worth it in my mind (didn't have money burning holes in my pockets.) The 30-day head start we got staying at the affiliated Holiday Inn worked great. Hotel was close with free shuttle (although one time we just Ubered it and it was worth the money as opposed to waiting for the shuttle.) And it was a much better value (all things considered) than paying out the nose to stay at a Disney property.

Considering going to WDW this fall. I read a bit on Genie+. Haven't dug real deep but am I correct that with the advent of Genie+ (basically pay for play Fastpass), the advantage of staying at a Disney affiliated property is largely gone except for if/when they have Extra Magic Hours? Or does staying at an affiliated property still offer one or more significant benefits other than EMH?

Last time I was at a Disney Park, it was Disney World and we purposely stayed at an affiliated hotel for the sole purpose of being able to reserve ride entry times (especially Avatar) 30 days sooner than the general public. I believe at the time, those staying at an actual Disney Property got a 60-day advanced lead but those properties are so outrageously expensive, it wasn't worth it in my mind (didn't have money burning holes in my pockets.) The 30-day head start we got staying at the affiliated Holiday Inn worked great. Hotel was close with free shuttle (although one time we just Ubered it and it was worth the money as opposed to waiting for the shuttle.) And it was a much better value (all things considered) than paying out the nose to stay at a Disney property.

Considering going to WDW this fall. I read a bit on Genie+. Haven't dug real deep but am I correct that with the advent of Genie+ (basically pay for play Fastpass), the advantage of staying at a Disney affiliated property is largely gone except for if/when they have Extra Magic Hours? Or does staying at an affiliated property still offer one or more significant benefits other than EMH?

Disney resort guests have the ability to book Individual Lightning Lane selections (the pay per individual ride system for the big E tickets) earlier than offsite guests, even at Good Neighbor hotels. Offsite have to wait until the park the ride is at opens. This matters for Rise of the Resistance as Rise sells out long before offsite guests can book it. You know how you basically couldn't get a Flight of Passage FP+ unless you stayed on property? This is like that.

Deluxe resort guests get Extended Evening Hours which essentially replaced the old PM EMH, but it's only a couple of nights a week, one for MK and one for Epcot. Swan and Dolphin are the only non-Disney hotels that get this benefit. Parking is also free at all Disney resorts again, they rescinded the fee last week. Onsite guests still get the ability to book ADRs for the length of their trip (up to 10 days), which matters much more now that ADRs are booked at 60 days instead of 6 months. Some are extremely hard to come by.

No one can answer whether any of this is worth the cost to you except for you.

Thanks for the info I read the thread and also read this very well done blog post: https://www.disneytouristblog.com/individual-lightning-lanes-guide-prices-info/

Note the main takeaway from this blog post was that if you execute a very well-planned park visitation strategy (and have Genie+), the $ILL for Star Wars is the only one worth getting.

My main takeaways are:

1. Effectively, ignore "Good Neighbor" status - it has no perks whatsoever.

2. Assuming there's a significantly higher costs at official WDW Hotels, the value is only worth it if you are going to get early magic hours each day. Otherwise, there does not appear to me to be any valuable enough perk at an official partner hotel to justify the cost unless it's worth the quality/location regardless of the perks. (Unless I'm still missing something?)

3. The perks for the Disney resorts are not that impressive. Seems it mainly boils down to getting one, yes just one $ILL (two if you park hop) before the park opens. Not impressed, especially considering the costs of those places. Although Dolphin/Swan appears the way to go if you really want the early $ILL access. Sounds like Extra Evening Hours are the only other significantly valuable perk that only resort guests get or Deluxe partner hotel guests?

I could have started a business 15 years ago being a Disney Vacation Planning consultant. Ended up taking the family to WDW 4 times and Disneyland 6 over 15 years spending hours and hours planning the park strategy each time. Never paid anything extra for anything ride related. Never waited in a line longer than 20 minutes and did all the major/best rides within the day for that park. Miss the days of having the paper "Fastpass Ticket Runner" strategy. After reading the blog post I must say I'm not surprised, but sad and dismayed. While technically you can visit the parks without paying for Geine+ or $ILL, due to the basic laws of supply and demand, combined with stock prices being factored into corporate decisions, Disney Parks have become a total "Pay to Play" operation requiring a significant level of "user sophistication" to navigate the whole ecosystem properly from choosing where to stay to what $ILL to get. Your Blue-collar, middle-class family on a tight budget in my opinion has essentially been left behind. Walt would not be happy about this.

I was considering a college graduation trip this fall for my youngest son. The Grandparents usually always come too, but they have started to decline riding some rides (they are now in their mid-late 70's.) Taking a step back and looking at the nickle and diming it has evolved to, I'm having second thoughts that the total large sum of money necessary is better spent on another type of adventure (especially when your kids are now in their early 20's). I'm a huge Disney Park Fanatic (was a collectibles collector for years then sold it all realizing how materialistic it felt.) In addition, as the years have gone by the luster of the "magic" of Disney parks has gradually dulled over time mainly due the rising costs and pay to play strategies they've implemented. But it's a for-profit business, not a charity.

But I digress as this thread is more about the hotel perks. So seems the bottom line answer to my inquiry is the official partner hotels have no major perks other than Early Morning Hours (when they are available - and regular guests even at official partner properties don't get extra evening hours! Pathetic.)

Last edited:
Disney resort guests have the ability to book Individual Lightning Lane selections (the pay per individual ride system for the big E tickets) earlier than offsite guests, even at Good Neighbor hotels. Offsite have to wait until the park the ride is at opens. This matters for Rise of the Resistance as Rise sells out long before offsite guests can book it. You know how you basically couldn't get a Flight of Passage FP+ unless you stayed on property? This is like that.

Deluxe resort guests get Extended Evening Hours which essentially replaced the old PM EMH, but it's only a couple of nights a week, one for MK and one for Epcot. Swan and Dolphin are the only non-Disney hotels that get this benefit. Parking is also free at all Disney resorts again, they rescinded the fee last week. Onsite guests still get the ability to book ADRs for the length of their trip (up to 10 days), which matters much more now that ADRs are booked at 60 days instead of 6 months. Some are extremely hard to come by.

No one can answer whether any of this is worth the cost to you except for you.
Good Neighbor hotels get no Disney perks.

They only get a category because they are AAA approved and provide some required amenities.

1. Effectively, ignore "Good Neighbor" status - it has no perks whatsoever.
Agreed.
2. Assuming there's a significantly higher costs at official WDW Hotels, the value is only worth it if you are going to get early magic hours each day. Otherwise, there does not appear to me to be any valuable enough perk at an official partner hotel to justify the cost unless it's worth the quality/location regardless of the perks. (Unless I'm still missing something?)
I think you're missing that Disney Springs hotels do get early magic hours.
Disney Springs is not the same as Good Neighbor. With all your years of planning, you knew that, right?

I think you're missing that Disney Springs hotels do get early magic hours.
Disney Springs is not the same as Good Neighbor. With all your years of planning, you knew that, right?
I have stayed DS many times. I do think the location is excellent especially if you plan to dine out or spend time at Disney Springs. They also give guests discount booklet for DS. It keeps you in a modified bubble at different price points.

And prior to COVID (not sure they are back up to speed yet) they had the best non-Disney shuttle bus system available. If I did not have a car, these would be a priority (or a couple deluxe like Hilton/Waldorf and Four Seasons).

As always I would watch to see if they get any other perks new or returning.

Offsite now no longer gets to do rope drop ever. Onsite gets to start there day a 1/2 hour earlier, so not a lot of time but enough time to maybe get one or two rides in that will shortly have longer waits.

Is it enough to get me to book a Disney hotel -- no. Did I miss not getting to do rope drop because I was offsite last March -- you bet. Also, although I only tried at park opening -- LLs I was interested in were not available at park opening. This was FYI, a busy spring break week, though too.

Offsite now no longer gets to do rope drop ever. Onsite gets to start there day a 1/2 hour earlier, so not a lot of time but enough time to maybe get one or two rides in that will shortly have longer waits.

Is it enough to get me to book a Disney hotel -- no. Did I miss not getting to do rope drop because I was offsite last March -- you bet. Also, although I only tried at park opening -- LLs I was interested in were not available at park opening. This was FYI, a busy spring break week, though too.
The partnered hotels (Disney Springs Non-Disney, Shades of Green and S&D) that got it before still get EMH, and they have added a few that are offsite ~ Hilton & Waldorf Bonnet Creek and Four Seasons. I don't think there are any hotels that used to get it that no longer get it.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/early-entry/

@HopperFan appears to have the correct info. Furthermore, WDW website currently states Extra Magic Hours are 'suspended'. Is this true, or is the 30 minute early entry currently active and therefore this page is a bit misleading. Finally, the undercovertourist.com site article from Oct 2021 seems to confirm that the Extra Evening Hours WILL be more restricted as it only lists Disney properties. Is all this info outdated? (I'd be surprised if the WDW site itself is outdated.) As I interpret this, all early/evening extra time is currently suspended but, when it resumes, the extra evening hours will only be for onsite Disney property guests and not the offsite official partners who WILL still get the 30 min early entry.

*** EDIT: Looking at the current WDW calendar (duh) appears that this page below for Walt Disney Travel is inaccurate and old (during COVID) info I'm guessing as the calendar IS showing Extra Evening Hours! So if you stay at an official partner offsite, all you get is the 30 min early entry and not the evening hours.

https://www.disneyholidays.com/walt-disney-world/faq/official-disney-partner-hotels/

How do I access the parks for Extra Magic Hours?​

An Extra Magic Hours voucher will be issued at check-in to each person listed on your reservation. The voucher is a uniquely numbered card and must be presented, along with valid Theme Park admission, at the Theme Park entrance in order for you to use Extra Magic Hours. The voucher is valid for the duration of your participating Official Disney Partner Hotels reservation and is not transferable.

Please note, Extra Magic Hours are temporarily suspended.

More accurate info:
https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/disney-world-early-theme-park-entry-benefit/

@HopperFan appears to have the correct info. Furthermore, WDW website currently states Extra Magic Hours are 'suspended'. Is this true, or is the 30 minute early entry currently active and therefore this page is a bit misleading. Finally, the undercovertourist.com site article from Oct 2021 seems to confirm that the Extra Evening Hours WILL be more restricted as it only lists Disney properties. Is all this info outdated? (I'd be surprised if the WDW site itself is outdated.) As I interpret this, all early/evening extra time is currently suspended but, when it resumes, the extra evening hours will only be for onsite Disney property guests and not the offsite official partners who WILL still get the 30 min early entry.

*** EDIT: Looking at the current WDW calendar (duh) appears that this page below for Walt Disney Travel is inaccurate and old (during COVID) info I'm guessing as the calendar IS showing Extra Evening Hours! So if you stay at an official partner offsite, all you get is the 30 min early entry and not the evening hours.

https://www.disneyholidays.com/walt-disney-world/faq/official-disney-partner-hotels/

How do I access the parks for Extra Magic Hours?​

An Extra Magic Hours voucher will be issued at check-in to each person listed on your reservation. The voucher is a uniquely numbered card and must be presented, along with valid Theme Park admission, at the Theme Park entrance in order for you to use Extra Magic Hours. The voucher is valid for the duration of your participating Official Disney Partner Hotels reservation and is not transferable.

Please note, Extra Magic Hours are temporarily suspended.

More accurate info:
https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/disney-world-early-theme-park-entry-benefit/
I think Disney is trying to be clever with their slight change of names to cover themselves as they are not offering the full EMH they once did.

The mornings are now Early Park Entry even though operationally they are the same as EMH, same hotels.

The evening ones have changed to Extended Evening Hours, as they are limited to deluxe list of hotels.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/extended-evening/

Do the Dis Springs hotel get 7 am VQ access too? Or have to wait for park open?

Everyone can do the 7am VQ, it is the paid lightning lane that opens early at 7am for onsite guests. Off-site guests have to wait until park opening to buy an individual lightning lane.
thanks! I always get that confused

I don’t think Anyone but u can decide what’s Worth it to you/r family/group. Wed never again stay offsite as the Total Immersion/Disney Bubble is Worth it to us. That being said, it’s TRUE, once you be gone Deluxe… you never Want to stay any other way. 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter