What's the catch?

keeperof4

Mouseketeer
We have already booked SVR but for the last couple of days we have been getting calls from Summer Bay Resort down on the 192 in Orlando. The price that they are offering is almost too good to be true. Has anyone recently stayed here , if so, could you give us a bit of feed back on rooms, staff, cleanliness and most importantly of all the timeshare pitch.

It is a beautiful resort. We stayed there for a cheap rate in return for a timeshare tour. We have taken over 10 of these , and I always say no, even though they keep bringing out manager after manager. They dont like no, but cant force us to buy. I'm sure the deal is a good one, it just depends if you want to take a couple hours out of your day to go on a tour. We do and get great deals, and would never own a timeshare, even DVC, I have gone to disney every year for 12 years, and never pay more than $120 A NIGHT AT A DVC RESORT, so its not worth owning to me. i DONT WANT TO BE TIED DOWN TO A PIECE OF REAL ESTATE I CANT GET RID OF.But to each his own, I would go there again if they call. It has a mini golf course. great resort!!

For a comparator, tug (timeshare users group) members rate SVR at 25th of the Orlando area resorts with an 8.54/10, and Summer Bay at 56th with a 7.47/10 rating. TripAdvisor gives SB 3.5 and SVR 4.0 "bubbles".

I would avoid the deal if you are required to take a TS Presentation. How much is your vacation time worth - spending a half-day in a stuffy sales room, or on the rides at Disney? I want everything to be perfect on my vacation.

Also, be very careful that the offer includes accommodation at SB. I know some of the shadier TS presentation deals include accommodation at the resort or a "similar" location. I have read many posts where "similar" turns out to not be very similar at all. Not saying that SB does this necessarily; just another thing to be aware of. (And as an aside, why would they EVER do this? Just try to sell to someone you have already bait-and-switched!)

Nuff said.

I don't know what Summer Bay's timeshare presentation is like but I'd suggest that even if it's the easiest sell type of presentation it isn't worth trading your vacation time for a low rate that comes with a timeshare presentation requirement. IMO, you should keep your reservation at Vistana Resort and just say no at check-in when they ask you to take in a Sheraton timeshare presentation.

Dick Taylor

I'm with Dick. Vacations are too short to spend even one minute of them in a timeshare sales presentation.

I'm with Dick. Vacations are too short to spend even one minute of them in a timeshare sales presentation.

And they act like total douche bags to you when you refuse their deal for the 10th, 11th and 12th time during a talk... I mean they have to know the main reason people are there is to get something free/discounted, if they can sell to 1 out of 20 of them great, but don't act like a prick to the other 19 groups

Surprisingly, sometimes that works. There was a post in the DVC forum about a year back where someone was staying at POP, took a DVC tour. She had no intention to buy, was just curious, and was told by the Guide that "You can't afford it anyway."

We all told her that, most certainly, the Guide has had that angle work before, and it was just a sales ploy. Sure enough, within a month, she had put a down payment on a contract through that Guide that, based on what she told us, she probably should not have purchased.

She sure showed him. ;)

Thanks for the info.After our fantastic vacation at SVR this year It really would not be a wise thing to think of staying anywhere else regardless of that great deal? next Feb.The only thing I really try to forget, is our night we spent at Tuscana resort. Thanks for the wise advice, those ninetyyyy min.tours can end up ruining a valuable vacation day.

Yes, they really do eat up half a day. It's always longer than they say. And you are never done when you think you are, they send in another salesperson to do a survey (another sales pitch), then their manager to review everything (another sales pitch), it goes on and on. And you sit and wait for each "wave". Unless you've got time to burn, don't do it!

:eek:Update ,just received a message from a family that took Summer Bay up on that great deal?? Their unit was some what outdated,worn, but clean .They agreed to a morning 90 minute presentation on the second day that ended up lasting 4 hours ,they were basically held captive while three different sales reps. pitched the advantages of a time share to them, they informed them several times that they could not afford it,and that their children were being watched by friends,and they were only expected to be 2 hours, it seems they just would not take no for an answer!! They proceeded to call and leave messages several times a day for better part of of the week, even when they asked not to be bothered any more.(they finally caught on and unplugged the phones) To make matters worse they failed to receive the gift card and discount them park vouchers that they were counting on for enduring the blitz screen. On the last morning the hole family was startled awake by cleaning staff trying to enter the unit at 8am and were unable to go back to bed because they made so muck noise out side the unit they felt it was time to escape dodge.This was their first visit to Florida on a budget and they left with a sour taste instead of a memorable vacation. Like so many of us (I admit that have learned the hard way. If that great deal looks to good to be true( in most cases, not all) it is!

Yes, they really do eat up half a day. It's always longer than they say. And you are never done when you think you are, they send in another salesperson to do a survey (another sales pitch), then their manager to review everything (another sales pitch), it goes on and on. And you sit and wait for each "wave". Unless you've got time to burn, don't do it!

Can't you just get up and leave after 90 minutes?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter