What's for dinner? Was it "budget"?

Tonight we're having:

Leftover chicken and pastina soup (cost of original dish - 8.00 - made over 6 meals though, so $1.35 for tonight)
cheese and garlic biscuits - 99 cents

Chili-just had huge craving for it.
Ground pork $3
Kidney beans 2 cans $1
diced tomatoes .65
oyster crackers from target $1.25
tomato sauce .33
corn bread mix .66 About $7 to feed my family of six.:)

I thought I would join in. I grocerygame so I have alot of items in stock but I can easily remember the price for most things.

stir fry

chicken breast (my mother bought so my cost FREE)
3 packs of stir fry veggies $2.50
Stir fry sauce 67 cents
Rice 80 cents
potato cakes (leftover mashed potatoes, cheese, flour, and egg) I would guess $1 since all ingredients I had on hand and didn't use much.

TOTAL $4.97 to feed a family of 5 and I have enough leftovers for 2 of us.

Baked chicken tonight, seasoned with a little Italian salad dressing and some S & P and garlic. Oven baked french fries and fresh broccoli for sides.
Have a great evening!

PS: Very happy to see the posts picking up again... welcome to all our newbie posters! :flower3:

Tonight's post:

Shrimp Cocktail
Leftover stuffed fish (made it and froze the leftovers a couple of weeks ago!)
Yellow Rice
Salad

$2.48/per person

We had homemade subs. Big bakery fresh sub rolls, grilled chicken strips, with melted cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo. Yum! Yogurt and fruit (apples and pears) on the side. About $10 total for the family.

Tonight we had homemade pork barbecue and mac n cheese.

$6 3lb pork loin
.25 onion
.50 can of pepsi
$1 bottle of bbq sauce
.50 mac n cheese

$8.25 total

I already froze half and there are lots of leftovers.

Tonight we're having parmesan encrusted tilapia with squash casserole and sweet baby peas. For dessert we're having baked apples and pears. I guess the meal costs about $10. Not bad.

Are we game to resurrect this thread again? I always love to hear everyone's ideas and recipes. :)

Tonight we are having baked chicken legs (seasoned very simply with a little butter and some lemon pepper), hash brown casserole (hash browns, cream of chicken or mushroom soup, a little sour cream, and some grated cheese) and green beans.
Its nearly payday, and with the extra expenses of Christmas I am beyond broke, so this meal is a combination of pantry staples and whatever's left lurking in the fridge and freezer. :rolleyes1

What is everyone doing for Christmas dinner? Any yummy budget ideas for that? My SIL is hosting Xmas dinner this year. I have been asked to contribute my famous sweet potato-pecan casserole. We get a full turkey dinner, and that's all I have to buy/make? Sounds budget to me! :thumbsup2

Tonight's dinner is Meatball Soup. I have everything on hand.

25 frozen meatballs
I can Italian style tomatoes
1 1/2 cups water
I jar pizza sauce
Frozen peas and carrots
1 can mushrooms
Italian seasoning and minced garlic
1 1/2 cups uncooked pasta

Combine all ingredients except pasta and cook on low 1 hr. Add pasta and cook another 8 minutes until pasta is cooked. Top with parmesan cheese.

Total cost about $6.

Tonight is Bean Burritos.
6 large flour burritos
1 can refried beans
little bit chopped onion, only for DH and I
Shredded cheese

Heat the refried beans in a pot on stove. Put one large scoop of beans down the center of each tortilla, sprinkle with shredded cheese and onion. Roll up into burritos, and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. I also add a little cheese on top to give it some colour. And I'm adding some frozen peas as the vegetable, because my 15 year old DS will say "Is that all" if I only serve the burritos!

Total cost, including Salsa and sour cream $5.00

Bumping so I can find this again after I take a break and eat supper--home made chicken noodle soup and oatmeal bread.

Chicken Tacos!

1.5ish lbs of boneless thighs simmered in the crockpot with buillon cube and taco seasoning - Maybe $3?
Burrito Shells - Maybe $2?
Cheese and sour cream - Maybe $1 worth

Side of fresh broccoli - $.60

So $7 but it will feed us for 2 days

Dessert for me will be fruit sorbet - frozen fruit leftover plus a splash of juice and some sweetener - maybe $1 tops

Hi!
Glad to see a post! :)

Tonight at my house is baked chicken. Roasters were on sale, and this one cost me less than $3. Rubbed it with a little butter and sprinkled on some seasoned salt and fresh herbs and lemon juice.

Think I will make some mashed potatoes to go with it, and I have some fresh asparagus that was $1.47 a lb. :)

Have a great evening!

Not sure of the cost of the meal but it the main ingredients were all on sale.

Sweet and Sour Chicken
White Rice
Steamed Broccoli

This chicken is my family's favorite. It is boneless breast placed in a baking dish and mix the following and pour over top: 1 bottle catalina dressing, 10 oz apricot preserves, 1 packet onion soup mix. Bake at 350 for 50 - 60 minutes.

Had my son and his wife and my grandkids join us, so we needed a large but easy meal: I made spaghetti, homemade garlic bread sticks (made the dough in my bread machine, baked the sticks in the oven), and a big salad with plenty of added vegetables (cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes, yellow pepper and diced apple. Okay, I know apple isn't a vegetable but my grandkids like it in the salad). The spaghetti sauce was from a jar (actually two jars) but I added lots of diced veggies (red pepper, green pepper, onion, mushroom). Made tofu brownies for dessert.

Teresa

Chicken Leg Quarters 3.00 on sale for 59 cents a lb at Weis this week. Mashed Potatoes-bought a 5 lb bag on sale for 99 cents. Frozen Corn 1.00 bag. Stovetop stuffing 1.00. Gravy 25 cents. This will also be lunch for dh tomorrow.

On Friday, we bought a pre-cooked chicken on sale for $5.00. DH & I ate 1/2 of it on Friday night. On Sunday, we made chicken soup (with carrots & celery). We had chicken soup on Sunday & again tonight. We meals on that $5.00 chicken.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter