What's Cookin'? - A Recipe Share Thread

Tonight I'm making Martha's:

Lemony Tortellini with Peas & Prosciutto (Serves 4-6 easy)

Salt & Pepper
1-2 pkgs frozen cheese tortellini
sm bag frozen peas
2 Tblspoons olive oil (I dbl it)
1/4 lb thin sliced prosciutto (I dbl it)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1tsp lemon zest grated
1Tblspoon fresh lemon juice (I dbl it) = because I like more sauce in dish

Cook tortellini to al dente, add peas into pasta water last minute of cooking, drain into colendar reserving 1/2 cup+ of the cooking water. In same pot put 1/2 of the olive oil prosciutto and garlic cook until lightly browned. Add back tortellini and peas with rest olive oil and lemon zest - toss to combine, season with salt & pepper. Big salad and a good piece of crusty bread = Good light dinner for a "Meatless Monday"!

I have a similar recipe only with vodka sauce. I'll try your variation. :thumbsup2

Hope you like it Cap. Steamboat Willie! It is FREEZING here in PA; so I just made a quick soup! Simple & humble but a good quick soup.

QUICK Lemongrass Escarole Soup
Threw into box of chicken broth a TBLSP of lemongrass paste and 2 TBLSP tomatoe paste, 1 clove garlic minced, 3 big handfuls of chopped escarole and bring to a simmer. Had ditalini (or any other small pasta) already cooked and top with a good shaved parmasean & cracked black pepper!

Tonights dinner is a repeat from earlier in this thread, Honey Baked Ham (had some leftover that we froze) and the Maui potatoes from 'Ohana. Will probably make rolls and carrots to go with it.

Since the weather is rough in NC, I decided to make some white chicken chili. I plan to cook it in the crockpot and I hope it turns out to be tasty (first time making this recipe). I got this recipe from the Campbell's Kitchen website www.campbellskitchen.com

Southwest White Chicken Chili
1 tbl olive oil
4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
3-4 ts of chili powder (adjust to your taste. I don't like spicy so I only use 3 ts)
2 ts cumin
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 can cream of chicken soup, fat free ( I am trying to eat healthier)
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cup frozen corn
2 cans white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Cheddar cheese (fat-free) for topping
Sour Cream (optional)

Cook chicken with spices in vegetable oil until chicken is cooked through. Add chicken to crackpot with the rest of the ingredients, except for cheese and sour cream. Cook for 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low. Serve and top with cheese and sour cream.

Typing this recipe has made me hungry :)

Nicole...this sounds wonderful...I love white chicken chili....I'm going to try it...thanks.

Snow day today, so comfort food just sounded good! So i'm making chicken and dumplings in the slow cooker. It's a new recipe for me, so I hope it turns out good :goodvibes

4 chicken breasts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 small diced onion
2 tablespoons butter
1 can chicken broth
1 can biscuits

Cube the chicken breasts, season as desired, then place in slow cooker. Dice onion, mix with chicken. Add butter, 2 cans of cream of chicken soup and 1 can of broth. Mix together. Cook on low for 8 hours. About an hour before it's done, roll out bicuits and cut into strips, mix in with the other ingredients.
We did double up the recipe as it didn't seem like it would make much.

I made this today! I did cut back on the broth and used about eight ounces. I think I'd cut it back just a bit more next time, too. I also added some thyme, a sprinkle of paprika, salt, and freshly ground pepper. The biscuits I put in two and a half hours before the cooking time was up. I increased the heat to HIGH the last hour or so.

dumplings.jpg

This was a really fantastic dish. The flavor was awesome! :thumbsup2 I had no issues with using canned biscuits. They came out great and were cooked all the way through. I also liked the base of this recipe and will tweak it in the near future to make a few other dishes. Thanks for posting!

That looks wonderful but i HATE salmon...could I use a different fish and it still turn out good???

Hmm...

I suppose you could use any "firm" fish, like ahi tuna or swordfish (although, both of those could get very pricey very quickly)

Any cheaper fish like tilapia or cod would probably get lost in the flavor mix and turn to mush. (After all, it's not just any recipe that calls for strawberries, honey, onions and peppers ! :laughing: ) And of course, the cooking time would have to be adjusted accordingly.

ehh... I guess what I'm saying is if you don't care for salmon maybe you should skip this one. :upsidedow

4poundsrump roast
1can beef broth
1can condensed French onion
1can or bottle beer
6 French rolls
2 t/l sp butter

Trim excess fat from roast and place in cooker
Add beef broth, onion soup,and beer
Cook for 7hrs on low setting

Split rolls and spread butter bake for 10min

You can add mozzarella to the bread if wanted!

I gave this recipe to Julie it's the one she talked about on FB

1 bag cubed frozen hash browns
1 can cream of chicken
8oz sour cream
Shredded cheddar cheese this is subject to how cheesy you want it

And corn flakes or frosted flakes if you want it to bet salty/sweet

Mix hash browns, cheese, cream of chicken, and sour cream

Bake on 350 for 45 min

Crush corn flakes and use as crunchy topping.

Again I like it with corn flakes DH likes frosted flakes so first time out I would suggest the corn flakes :goodvibes

mailgooglecom.jpg

Easy-peasy
1 lb chicken (breasts, thighs, whatever you like)
1 can coconut milk
1 packet curry seasoning (or 3-4 TBS curry paste)
Toss in the crockpot and set at low for all-day cooking, or high for half-a day.

Also:
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
2 yellow squash, chopped
2 cans bamboo shoots
1 cup matchstick carrots
1 medium head bok choy, chopped (leaves & stalks separately)

You can add the veggies (onions, bamboo, carrots, bok choy stalks first for an hour and then the rest) for a couple hours, I sometimes will cook everything in one saucepan and then mix it into the chicken after it's cooked through, it only takes an hour after that. This pic shows REALLY watery in the bowl because I like extra liquid on my serving, and because I forgot to drain the chicken beforehand. You could also cook all the veggies first and drain them, but the coconut milk doesn't add a lot of liquid, just thickness.

mailgooglecom.jpg

Easy-peasy
1 lb chicken (breasts, thighs, whatever you like)
1 can coconut milk
1 packet curry seasoning (or 3-4 TBS curry paste)
Toss in the crockpot and set at low for all-day cooking, or high for half-a day.

Also:
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
2 yellow squash, chopped
2 cans bamboo shoots
1 cup matchstick carrots
1 medium head bok choy, chopped (leaves & stalks separately)

You can add the veggies (onions, bamboo, carrots, bok choy stalks first for an hour and then the rest) for a couple hours, I sometimes will cook everything in one saucepan and then mix it into the chicken after it's cooked through, it only takes an hour after that. This pic shows REALLY watery in the bowl because I like extra liquid on my serving, and because I forgot to drain the chicken beforehand. You could also cook all the veggies first and drain them, but the coconut milk doesn't add a lot of liquid, just thickness.

^ That looks *really* tasty ! :goodvibes

The *only* liquid involved is the can of coconut milk and the water that comes out of the veggies ? It looks like there should be a carton of chicken broth involved or something...

I'm not sure where the extra moisture comes from... Do you cook the chicken separately in water ? Does *that* much liquid come out of the veggies ?

I'm a little confused.

(So what else is new ? ) :rotfl:

I solemnly swear, only liquid in there is coconut milk and what cooked out of the veggies. (I used some veggies that have lots of fluid though; bok choy is full of water, as are bamboo and water chestnuts. And the onions exude some liquid too.) I toss the chicken (still frozen; maybe that's where the excess liquid comes from?) in the pot and cover it with the coconut milk (mine is always half-liquid and half solid in the can) It's even better a day later when the spices have aged into the veggies!

Peas & Pasta
A Very Simple Old Italian Recipe

I realized last night that not many people are familiar with this dish. It is second nature to us and my father makes it all of the time. I can never get it quite as good as his, but come pretty close.

1 can peas
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small onion, chopped
Salt
Black pepper
Red pepper flakes (I like food hot, but you can eliminate this)
Oregano, parsley or combo Italian seasoning
Cooked pasta (elbows works best, but you can use others)
EVOO

Cook pasta according to directions. You can make this work for your party size. I've done it with just 2 cups, but you can stretch it to 4, if need be. Be sure to salt the water during cooking.

While pasta is cooking, heat about 1 tablespoon of EVOO in medium to large size frying pan. Add onions and garlic. Season with salt and black pepper. Stir onions and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent; be careful not to overbrown the garlic or it will become bitter.

Add full can of peas including most of the liquid. Stir with onions and garlic. Add oregano and parsley or Italian seasoning mix. Toss in red pepper flakes and stir. Cook on medium heat, uncovered until pasta is done. The peas will bubble as the liquid evaporates. This is a good thing. :)

Drain pasta well. Fold pasta into pea mixture and cook another minute or until fully coated. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

My father uses more oil in this dish than I do. He puts thin layer in with the onions and garlic. If you are not watching your waistline, do that and the flavor will be stronger. If you are, stick to about a tablespoon of oil. If the meal is too dry, you can add butter.

Made this tonight...success!

Pasta With Shrimp and Wine

Prep Time: 45 minsTotal Time: 45 minsServings: 4

12 ounces shrimp, shelled
1 cup onions, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped ( 1 cup)
10 ounces pasta, cooked
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup parsley, snipped

Directions
Thaw shrimp, if frozen.
In a saucepan, cook onion in 2 Tblsp. butter and olive oil until tender but not brown.
Stir in wine, bouillon granules, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until about 1/3 of the liquid is evaporated.
Halve shrimp lengthwise and add to wine mixture.
Cover and simmer about 5 minutes until shrimp is just tender.
Stir in tomatoes and heat through.
Toss pasta with 1/4 cup butter, melted. Add shrimp mixture, cheese and parsley. Toss until pasta is coated.

^ That looks *really* tasty ! :goodvibes

The *only* liquid involved is the can of coconut milk and the water that comes out of the veggies ? It looks like there should be a carton of chicken broth involved or something...

I'm not sure where the extra moisture comes from... Do you cook the chicken separately in water ? Does *that* much liquid come out of the veggies ?

I'm a little confused.

(So what else is new ? ) :rotfl:

I was watching them do a pork pot roast on America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Country (one of the CI shows on PBS) this afternoon, and they were saying that when you cook meat in the slow cooker, it gives off a LOT of liquid.

Hmm...

I suppose you could use any "firm" fish, like ahi tuna or swordfish (although, both of those could get very pricey very quickly)

Any cheaper fish like tilapia or cod would probably get lost in the flavor mix and turn to mush. (After all, it's not just any recipe that calls for strawberries, honey, onions and peppers ! :laughing: ) And of course, the cooking time would have to be adjusted accordingly.

ehh... I guess what I'm saying is if you don't care for salmon maybe you should skip this one. :upsidedow

okay!...thanks!

I work long hard hours and don't have time for long meal prep...this one is so easy...NOT low calorie lol but a great comfort food after a long day!

1 large can cream of chicken soup
1 whole cooked chicken from the deli torn in small pieces
1 med. jar of Pace Med. Salsa
1 box of Cheese (Velvetta)
1/2 to 3/4 carton of Chicken broth (less if you want thicker,more for thinner soup)
1 bag tortilla chips
put broth, salsa, cream of chicken and the chicken pieces in a pan and bring it up slowly to a nice simmer, while it's warming cut up the cheese into small cubes. Once that mixture is warm add cheese and stir (turn heat down or cheese can burn) Chips can be warmed in the oven and broken into small pieces to add to soup or just eaten along with it...I leave these off simply because I try to cut calories lol This re heats well and a little goes a long way! Enjoy...taste a bit like McAlisters Soup:thumbsup2

I found it (although Stacy's looks good, too)!

From Allrecipes

Ingredients

2 cups sour cream
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
2 cups shredded processed cheese
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (32 ounce) package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
Directions

In a large bowl, stir together the sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, cheese, onion, salt and pepper. Gradually mix in the hash browns until evenly coated.
Coat the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray or butter. Spoon the hashbrown mixture into the slow cooker. Cover, and cook on High for 1 1/2 hours, then reduce heat to Low, and cook for an additional 2 1/2 hours.

I made this a few days ago and it was SO good! I didn't read the recipe closely enough and ended up with a 24 oz bag of hashbrowns. Then I didnt realize it needed thawed, but it was still done in the same amount of time and tasted great!

1tr8g1.jpg

Deep dish pizza
and
110 K Bars
11qr56t.jpg

I made this a few days ago and it was SO good! I didn't read the recipe closely enough and ended up with a 24 oz bag of hashbrowns. Then I didnt realize it needed thawed, but it was still done in the same amount of time and tasted great!

Hmm, I've never made them in the slow cooker.
They are a fav. of ours and we call them Mimi potatoes.
Alternately they are called funeral potatoes,Mormon potatoes and Cracker Barrel potatoes. Whatever you call them, I love them:love::love::love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter