What You Learned From Your Last Disney Trip...

Take tons of video and tons of photos and really take advantage of the Magical Memory Photographers so you can come home and relive all of those special moments with some surprises (they add Tinkerbell and other things to the pictures)!! It puts a smile on my face every time I pull out the Disney stuff!

I would agree with taking lots of photos. They really make the magic last all year long! At the same time, sometimes the camera can get in the way of the moment.

My DGF and I brought her camera to every park and tried to get those "perfect shots" of parades, icons, characters, etc. However, we forgot the camera on our visit to MGM. I think we (especially she) enjoyed Fantasmic a lot more because we weren't worried about getting the perfect picture, and just enjoyed the show.

Harold

Even though we stayed onsite, we learned that we were often happier taking a cab to the farther-away parks in the morning when we wanted to be there super-early, rather than waiting for the bus. We were already waking up so early to get to the ropes in time for the extra magic hour; it would have stressed us out so much to get up any earlier, or to watch our hard-earned time tick away at a bus stop. Afternoons and nights, we took Disney transport, but for those early mornings, the extra $5 or $7 dollars per person for a cab made us much happier. It may not be the right solution for everyone, but it was ideal for us.

DO NOT BRING A PARTY POOPER!!
If you are not going to ride any of the rides, :furious: STAY HOME!
If you are going to compain everytime we get on a ride, STAY HOME!
If you are going to compain about the heat...IN JUNE...in Orlando, PLEASE STAY HOME :furious: !

AMEN!!!!!!!:angel:

Speaking of pictures. I learned with DS that if I pay him a quarter per "good" pictue he will actually look at the camera and smile! Worth it to me lol.

What will you use to bribe him later on, if you don't have all those hillarious pics to show his future GF???:goodvibes

I've learned that if someone, say your sister, does not want to go to AK because she has an irrational fear of all the animals somehow breaking free and attacking her (just her, right?), then it is best to leave them to their own devices.

I've also learned that all of the objects in the Tower of Terror lobby are glued or nailed down to the tables. (I couldn't help myself, I love the atmosphere of the ToT and I just had to touch something.)

Take all precautions to avoid getting sick. Hand gel, spray the room, etc. We all got sick and it ruined our trip.

And NEVER use the ice bucket in your room without the liner. When the trash cans are being used by the adults, and the kid is sick.... I think you can figure this one out... :guilty:

Oh God!! Thankfully our last trip in September 2006 was the 1st trip in 3 I didmnt get sick :sick:
Its horrible, we've have had various opinions as to why we get sick 9 hour flight, change in climate, ice cubes, bug caught on flight.

Last year I felt sick on the flight (not a very good traveller), but I took travel sickness tablets that seemed to help and took them for 2 days after arriving!!
:laughing: - Well you travel a lot in the parks!!

now that you mentioned the getting sick thing, maybe bringing Airborne along is a good idea.. And just taking it every day to be on the safe side :clown:

"Don't listen to others who tell you your kid is too young for such a trip. Our DS2 had a great time - even if he won't remember it and we had a great time with him!"

I completey agree! We learned that it's worth taking a very young child to WDW even though they may not remember it. We took our granddaughter when she was around two. No, she doesn't remember the trip, but we do! We got to see it through her eyes and have the video to remind us of the magical moment when she first saw her beloved Ariel in a parade. At two, Ariel isn't a CM. She's the real deal! Our granddaughter is almost ten now and we still go at least once a year, but I'm so grateful that she had the opportunity to grow up with WDW and all the magical experiences it offers.

Just make sure you realize that you are taking the young one for your benefit, not theirs. I took my DD when she was 9 months old...I would not have planned that, but DH had a business trip so we went. The pictures are priceless...but if I had a once in a life time trip I would have definitely waited.

I have learned:

-Have a "rest/pool" day in between every two park days.
-If you go in a large group, split up and then get back together for dinner or something.
-Every few trips really *do* Epcot world showcase. Last time I made sure we saw every movie and walked into every store. I don't need to do that every trip, but every so often I put my foot down.

Just make sure you realize that you are taking the young one for your benefit, not theirs. I took my DD when she was 9 months old...I would not have planned that, but DH had a business trip so we went. The pictures are priceless...but if I had a once in a life time trip I would have definitely waited.

Yeah that reminds me of the 3 or 4 trips my parents took me on when I was really young. The only thing I remember...is that I don't remember :rolleyes1 haha!

I learned 2 things:

1) NEVER do Disney again in August, no matter how sweet the deal is Disney is giving you.

2) When the kids whine and cry about not wanting to brave the heat and go to the parks - listen to them!! It only makes for a long and miserable day for everyone because they won't just get over it and find fun in it.

What will you use to bribe him later on, if you don't have all those hillarious pics to show his future GF???:goodvibes

Trust me there are still plenty of pictures. :rotfl: This last trip was 4 days and I took at least 1000 pictures. This is normal me though I have a photo bug issue, not just Disney. We have one we played with on the plane in my digi camera. It is the same picture one he is "happy" the other he is irratated. (we were on our way to RnRC and Mom found a cool photo op) If you flip them back and forth on the camera it is hysterical because the only thing that changes is the look on his face ... mad .... fake happy. Anyway he was amused by it at least ;)

That we should do a water park near the end of our trip and not the second day in...we were so beat for the next 2 days. We just were like kids at the water park and way overdid it and payed for it afterwards.

Also, to try a new restaurant or counter service each time we go, so that we have some diversity because there are sooo many places to eat in the world that you may not be surprised to like...or maybe not, but you will never know until you try!!

Pack less clothes, the laundomat is next to the pool..so you can swim while your clothes "swim" :)

Just found this board doing research for our April trip. I still don't know all the acronyms ya'll use. :confused:

This will our first trip back to WDW since the opening year of AK. This time our 4yo will be coming with us and our 1yo staying with MIL.

Our trip has gone from 10days at CBR to 8days at ASM to now off-site hotel and 7 days in the park. It's funny how real life has other ideas on how I should spend my money...:headache:

My question is more for my own personal knowledge for next trip.
After reading the description of the DDP it doesn't seem like much food. But, I have seen many posts that mention the enormous amount of food they got and even had to throw some away. The description says 1 dinner, 1 counter and 1 snack. Doesn't "sound" like much but ofcourse I'm big eater. Am I missing something?

PS. Any helpful hints for a first timers with kids?

1) Never go to Disney without the DINING PLAN (PAID FOR or FREE) There must be a dining plan on the reservation. I've had the pleasure of booking a trip using AP with DDE and a trip with Dining Plan. The undisputed champion by my families vote is DINING Plan.

2) To bring some airfreshener for the bathroom - no explaination needed.

3) To go to the bathroom before standing in line and riding Kilamanjaro. DD waiting until we got on the truck to explain she REALLY NEED TO GO. Thank goodness for the bathrooms near Tusker House. I got my cardio on that day.

4) To ignore the packing lists posted on DIS. You will never use all of that stuff.

5) Occupy the time with activities for the four hour flight. Portable DVD player, MP3, Sudoko puzzles, tic tack toes. You will be at Disney before you know it.

6) During the week leading up to your trip, ALL of your co-workers will start to get on your last nerve. Just keep telling yourself...THERE's NO PLACE LIKE DISNEY...THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE DISNEY....that's why your here....THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE DISNEY.

7) Enjoy every moment of your vacation because in 10 days you will be back at work dealing with those co-workers and they will be pissed that you can afford to go Disney. Then those same co-workers will spend 20 minutes explaining to you why they cannot afford a Disney vacation while holding their $5 twice per day Mocha Frappinco, half-foam, half-cap, skim latte from overprice CoffeeBucks!

We learned to get a photopass (this is a free service) on your first day and continue to get your pictures taken everyday. They really take nice pictures, we ended up with over 70 photos (so we bought the CD). They are at every park even Typhoon Lagoon. I just had them all printed at Target yesterday, and they turned out really good :) .

I learned that if you plan properly going to WDW over Christmas and New Year is no where near as bad as people make it out to be. You just need to be realistic with your planning and plan your breaks when you know the crowds will be at the biggest.

Just found this board doing research for our April trip. I still don't know all the acronyms ya'll use. :confused:

This will our first trip back to WDW since the opening year of AK. This time our 4yo will be coming with us and our 1yo staying with MIL.

Our trip has gone from 10days at CBR to 8days at ASM to now off-site hotel and 7 days in the park. It's funny how real life has other ideas on how I should spend my money...:headache:

My question is more for my own personal knowledge for next trip.
After reading the description of the DDP it doesn't seem like much food. But, I have seen many posts that mention the enormous amount of food they got and even had to throw some away. The description says 1 dinner, 1 counter and 1 snack. Doesn't "sound" like much but ofcourse I'm big eater. Am I missing something?

PS. Any helpful hints for a first timers with kids?

I am going for my first time to WDW in March - there is a lot more info on the DDP under the resturant section! Lots of GREAT info there! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter