What would you never want in your home even with unlimited money?

A cat because I'm allergic. Any pet that can easily hide in the house and/or won't make it known that he/she is hungry. This has allowed me to say no to a pet snake without outright saying no to the snake.

Carpet in the bathroom. I'd prefer to eliminate all carpet because of our allergies but it's too expensive.

We don't have a fancy bar in our house but we do have a built-in wine fridge in the kitchen. The former owners loved wine so much that they had multiple full-size wine fridges in a room upstairs. They were in their sixties and I honestly don't know how they'd drink that much wine without killing their livers. I guess they liked to entertain.

We have 2 bar cabinets in my husband's office that store wine glasses and serving dishes.

I am there all the time. But some of those folks consider living on $150,000 a year middle class. Try living on $3,000 a month, and yes I consider that middle class.
What does that have to do with anything? Is this some sort of competition? Who has the least (or most) amount of money per month? Nevermind

Carpet in the bathroom. I'd prefer to eliminate all carpet because of our allergies but it's too expensive.
I like carpet but not in the bathroom! My mother-in-law and step-father-in-law less than 10 years ago (I can't remember exactly when but it's been under 10) actually replaced old carpet in their main bathroom with new carpet!! I couldn't believe it :crazy2: They sold that house but yeah why they actually put new carpet down instead of taking the chance to do tile I'll never know. And that house was built in 2004 still can't believe they were still doing that in new homes then.

Smoking def. inside the house. And it's not just cigarette smoke, weed, cigar smoke and vaping. Part allergies, part it's gross to be surrounded in, part it makes it very difficult to sell anything that absorbs it, etc. We've had people who smoke over they either smoke outside or can do it in our garage although it's been a long time since we've had someone who did smoke over. My best friend used to at least spray body mist even when she'd smoke in her car because her boyfriend at the time didn't really like her smoking. On the other hand I do find it very difficult to be around my sister-in-law right after she smokes especially in the wintertime even with them going outside that smoke clings to her clothes and the air around her as she re-enters the house. Maybe it's just how much she smoked or what she smoked because it wasn't that bad with my best friend.

Something else would probably be things that serve zero purpose but seemingly look neat or are more designed to impress. Whenever we look at model homes we often find these things, just impractical designs but ones you know probably cost a bit usually found in a finished basement.

ETA: this is an example from a model house we saw a few weeks back, it's a nice wine storage but without it being an actual temp controlled room and with concerns regarding humidity even being in the basement, it was just something they said "hey let's just build this in the stairs". I'm not sure who the clientele of this was really but it's not the serious wine person likely.
View attachment 801202
And they're storing it wrong. The cork end goes down. Although if that were built in harry potter's room, he'd have had a much better time of it at the Dursleys.

What does that have to do with anything? Is this some sort of competition? Who has the least (or most) amount of money per month? Nevermind
I read that more as a comment pointing out a disconnect on what constitutes ‘budget’ and types of suggestions people give for saving. Someone with that higher salary might make ‘budget’ suggestions that for them is very affordable but still waaaaayy outside affordability for someone earning 35,000 a year…

I read that more as a comment pointing out a disconnect on what constitutes ‘budget’ and types of suggestions people give for saving. Someone with that higher salary might make ‘budget’ suggestions that for them is very affordable but still waaaaayy outside affordability for someone earning 35,000 a year…
There are a lot of different people on there. Mine was a genuine suggestion to go ask on the budget board about cost effective diy pool treatments and I'm met with what I should have expected but didn't, there's always a reason why xyz won't abc with the pp.

- Having alcohol in the house isn't what I find odd. It's dedicating a fancy place to display them -- I don't see bottles of alcohol as any different from, say, jars of peanut butter or bottles of soy sauce.
Some liquor bottles are very fancy. We have a couple empty tequila bottles that we've kept just because they're pretty. My liquor goes in a closed cabinet, but I do display all my tiki mugs.

A pool. My son is autistic and LOVES water, but he's not the best swimmer. I'd rather just have a dedicated time/place to go to a recreational pool so we can control it/him better. I feel like I wouldn't be able to keep a complete eye on him living with a pool, and it just gives me nightmares. I live in the NE and I'm used to not having one, so it won't be missed, to be honest.
Well if you had unlimited money you could pay people to watch him.

I am there all the time. But some of those folks consider living on $150,000 a year middle class. Try living on $3,000 a month, and yes I consider that middle class.
Warren Buffet lives a middle class lifestyle. The term is very nebulous.

Warren Buffet lives a middle class lifestyle. The term is very nebulous.
But I don't think he claims to have a middle class income though. My wife and I bought both of our kids one year old Ford Taurus' from Hertz. A very generic car no doubt, but I was amused to see an article at the time that the most popular make and model car among millionaires was the Ford Taurus.

These are really interesting.

FWIW, courteous smokers do exist. My wife and I both smoke. I don't need a lecture, I know it's bad for my health. But neither of us would EVER smoke inside our abode. Only outside. Even in Europe, where we spend a lot of time and is much more accepting of smokers, we are super cautious.

Why are so many people against bars? I have a home bar because I collect spirits and like craft cocktails.

My kid had a fancy rat when they were young. It was cute.
Not passing judgement on the person, I just can't stand the smell, and yes, it's not good for anyone around the person who is smoking - or has been smoking. Again, it's the smell. And it can be any form; joint, stogie, cigarette, it does not matter, I hate them all the same.

Don't take it personal - it's more of a PSA. People don't like being around it. You decide what to do with that info.

I like carpet but not in the bathroom! My mother-in-law and step-father-in-law less than 10 years ago (I can't remember exactly when but it's been under 10) actually replaced old carpet in their main bathroom with new carpet!! I couldn't believe it :crazy2: They sold that house but yeah why they actually put new carpet down instead of taking the chance to do tile I'll never know. And that house was built in 2004 still can't believe they were still doing that in new homes then.
Carpet in bath or kitchen is yucky. I feel like you can never get it clean enough !

Not passing judgement on the person, I just can't stand the smell, and yes, it's not good for anyone around the person who is smoking - or has been smoking. Again, it's the smell. And it can be any form; joint, stogie, cigarette, it does not matter, I hate them all the same.

Don't take it personal - it's more of a PSA. People don't like being around it. You decide what to do with that info.
Oh I don't take it personal at all. But while there are a lot of rude smokers, there are some courteous ones. That's all I was saying. I do occasionally smoke a pipe which I've been told smells somewhat better (pipe smoking is a requirement when you become a tenured professor).

Carpet in bath or kitchen is yucky. I feel like you can never get it clean enough !
When we put in our addition we put tile in the kitchen and baths, hardwood in the hallway and common room, and carpet in the bedrooms, thinking that would be quieter and warmer in the winter. I regularly shampoo'ed the carpets in the bedrooms and the water always came out black. We finally had enough and pulled the carpet out and replaced with hardwood. Not only was the carpet filthy, so was the foam padding and you could see the traffic patterns on the plywood underlayment.

In my best Edna Mode; NO CARPETS!

No, I haven't tasted the $5,000 scotch, but -- if I owned it -- I'd put it in the cabinet above the microwave with the other alcohol. Art form? Okay.

Fancy = domesticated. Interesting.

The wanna have a beer is a high compliment, Lord M! We might disagree, but I think we'd have fun.
When you think about the nuances required in getting certain flavour profiles out of a scotch, or a bourbon, or even when brewing beer and then making it palatable or even delicious? I do see it as an art form just like I see cooking and baking as art forms. Or at least they should be treated as such in my view.

I guess I'm with ya on the snake. While I think they're beautiful creatures, I don't think I'd want one in my home and my wife is scared to death of them.

Some of the best times I've had drinking have been with people I don't necessarily see eye to eye with but can have a spirited discussion. We'd have fun, indeed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter