what would you have done?

Unbelievable story. I have to wonder where the little girl got her morals from because it doesn't sound like either the mother OR the father is capable of setting a good example for her. I hate to be judgemental, but based on the parents' actions, I'm wiling to bet the little girl caught some sort of punishment for "embarassing" mom. Let's just hope that maybe dad stepped in instead of just shrugging his shoulders at that, too.

I wouldn't have caused a scene but I definitely would have said something to the mother. So sad that the little girl tried to do the right thing and her mother made her look like an idiot. Makes me wonder how the little girl came to be so honest in the first place. Obviously she's not learning this quality from her mother. Poor kid. I would have told the woman "it's ok if you really need 10 dollars that bad you can just keep it."

I would have told the little girl in front of her parents that you're so impressed with her honesty that you'd like her (the little girl) to keep the money you dropped and to buy herself a souvie. That would put the mom even more on the spot.:rolleyes1

Wow what a crappy person. That's all I can think of to describe her. :sad2:

OP...I think you did the right thing. If it had been more I would have said something but for $10 I would let it go and hope karma catches the lady.

I dont know. I think you handled it very well. And you were a good influence on the girl.

I MIGHT have said "thank you, anyway, you did the right thing. I hope your parents spent the $10 on you." but idk if I would have the guts to say that, lol.

The little girl did not learn her manners from her mom, I wonder who is teaching them to her! That is so cool that the little girl did that. I would have said somehing to the lady at least to let her know that I KNEW she was keeping something that was not hers, but it would not touch her consience much anyway, if she was willing to ignore her own daughter! Wow, What a terrible example to that little girl, and thank God she is learning good manners somewhere.
Karma...karma will always come around...:goodvibes

l

I was thinking the exact same thing. The child didn't learn her manners from mom. And yes I would of said something to the same effect to the mom. Real shame to find people so dishonest and so eager to make ill gained dollar or two. :sad2:

Intersting situation posed by the OP.

Most of y'all seem to think the OP did the right thing, and I agree.

But I'm awondrin' what y'all would have done, had it been a much larger amount of cash. Say, for example, $200.00.

Then would it still be best not to "ruin the kid's vacation at WDW?" and just not say anything?

:wizard: RackNack

Umm yeah I would say something...I would have if it was only the ten bucks...I don't get the whole Oh I would have ruined that poor child's vacation...ten bucks can be something to a person who doesn't have a lot of extra cash...what if the ten bucks was for OP's kid or something.

OP you did what you thought was right so you did do the right thing :)

OP I think you did the right thing. What comes around goes around--mom will get hers.

OP, I think you should feel good about reassurring the girl by thanking her. That is the most memorable tidbit about this situation. That mom sure put her family in a rough spot. I can't imagine the dh didn't say anything either! Wow...

Wow!!!! I think you definately did the right thing, and good for you for saying thank you to that little girl. Hopefully she stays that innocent and does not grow up to be like her parents. I have a 3 year old and hope she grows up to be like that. We were at WDW 1 month ago and my daughter found a plastic jewel ring on the sink in the bathroom and was thrilled with it. We then saw a little girl that was at the sink before my daughter and I had asked her mother if she lost a ring??? The mother said yes!! I asked my daughter to give the ring back and she looked at me like why??? The liitle girl was thrilled!!! I had explained to my daughter that the ring was the little girls. I then asked my daughter if she lost her ring wouldn't she want someone to give it back if they found it? It made me feel good and I hope my daughter learned a little something about being honest.:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Since "Punch her in the face, throw her in the lake, and then have Pete Werner come by and yell at her for swimming in a Disney Lake" is not a viable or legal option, you handled the situation well.

Too bad there are people like that out there. But also a good thing that the daughter knows the right the thing to do, even with a great role model like her mother trying to drag her down.

-ExBellhop

HAHAHAHAHAHA too funny... or maybe something like "Oh gosh, I'd hate to lose my lucky five dollar bill... just last week Rover the family dog ate it, and we had to wait 3 whole days for it to come out the other end!"

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Umm yeah I would say something...I would have if it was only the ten bucks...I don't get the whole Oh I would have ruined that poor child's vacation...ten bucks can be something to a person who doesn't have a lot of extra cash...what if the ten bucks was for OP's kid or something.

OP you did what you thought was right so you did do the right thing :)

While I see your point, I don't think that you understand, it's not only about ruining the child's vacation. It's about the extent of the repercussions the child will have at home. The more that you would've have embarrassed the mother, the more the mother would get angry at her child. And short of physically searching the mother or getting security involved nothing else would've been gained. The only guaranteed result would be that the child would've regretted mentioning anything to the OP.

Just my 2cents!

Since this thread isn't really about theme park attractions or strategies, I've moved it to the Theme Parks Community board. :)

Since "Punch her in the face, throw her in the lake, and then have Pete Werner come by and yell at her for swimming in a Disney Lake" is not a viable or legal option, you handled the situation well.

Too bad there are people like that out there. But also a good thing that the daughter knows the right the thing to do, even with a great role model like her mother trying to drag her down.

-ExBellhop

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: That's great!!

It's o n l y money... you did good!
The little girls mom... NOT good!
Personally, I would have given the little girl a $20 reward for her effort in trying to do what's right.

Except with a mother like that, she would have probably taken the $20.00 from her daughter!:sad2:

I dont know. I think you handled it very well. And you were a good influence on the girl.

I MIGHT have said "thank you, anyway, you did the right thing. I hope your parents spent the $10 on you." but idk if I would have the guts to say that, lol.

Oh I would have the guts to say it. I really do not like to see injustice and what the parents are doing to that little girl in their lousy upbringing is an injustice. :sad1:I am glad she is learning the right way from someone, maybe a teacher at school or grandma and grandpa?

I really would have made sure the mom knew I knew that she had it! I would have gone to the mom and said something like: "Well, you know you have a very cute and honest little girl and honesty like that deserves a reward, don't you think? You really should reward her for her honesty by buying her a nice Disney present with the 10 dollars you just got from me!" ;)
No loud words, just a quiet little conversation between the two of us.

Mom would have to rassle with her own conscience after that. And maybe she would! It is never too late to learn! And, maybe, just maybe, that would make the mom think about it a little, I hope! I hope!
She will continue to do this if no one ever calls her on it! And I dread to think that the little girl will eventually be so saturated with her mom's way of thinking that she too goes down that road....just remember out of the mouths of babes...;)
I love the pure honesty of children! It is so refreshing in this tired old world...:)

susan

Stay out of the damn lakes. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter