• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What would you do? Trip itinerary thoughts?

Erin M

Mouseketeer
I posed this question in the September Check In thread but then realized that lots of people not going in September might have really valuable thoughts. So here is my dilemma. We arrive on a Tuesday at 11:30. I figure by the time we're done checking in and have dropped off our bags we'll be ready to venture back out at 1pm-ish. Traveling in our party is DH and DD (5 turning 6 while on our trip). Our flight is only a few hours so not terribly exhausting. We have 4 day hoppers and tickets to the Thursday night Halloween party and I am struggling with the two itinerary ideas below, or maybe just upgrading our tickets to 5 day hoppers so it's not even an issue. We are also contemplating upgrading to Flex Pass but I'd thought to wait and do that until the very end because our last few days are reservation days and I didn't want to take the risk of not being able to get in. We are staying on property so have access to EMH and MM. Without knowing hours just yet I can guess that Tuesday and Wednesday may not be terribly late nights, but with SWGE and Halloween time maybe that will be different this year.

Obviously I'm am over thinker...

So what do you think?

Would you do this:
Tuesday 1pm-closing at parks
Wednesday - Full day at parks
Thursday - 3pm enter DCA for party - pool time and a nice lunch in DTD beforehand
Friday - Full Park Day
Saturday - Full Park Day

Or would you do this:
Tuesday 1pm - pool and explore DTD
Wednesday - Full Park Day
Thursday - Rope drop DL with Magic Morning, take a break around noon to 4pm and head to DCA for party after a nap
Friday - Full day
Saturday - Full day

Or would you just upgrade to a 5 day hopper not think so much about all the things?

I know that after a flight my family wouldn't want to do much but plop down for a nice swim and maybe walk around, familiarizing ourselves with the environment, so I wouldn't go to the parks on Tuesday. If you have park hoppers why not go to DL before the party? ;) I'd do the second option.

My kids (and me) would definitely want to get into the parks that first afternoon. I like itinerary 1 because it gives you a day mid-trip to sleep in, recover etc.

There’s also no reason you have to decide now on upgrading to 5 day hoppers with itinerary 1. You can decide when you’re there if you feel like you do want to go into the parks before 3pm on Thursday.

My last thought is about upgrading to flex. You will have a good idea by the first day of your trip if the last two days are still open for reservations. If they are, go ahead and upgrade the first day so you can take advantage of the food and merch discounts. Or consider just upgrading one person for discounts if you’re worried that you could get caught with some family members with reservations and others without.

I would definitely opt for the 5-day hoppers to get that extra afternoon on arrival day. We had a similar situation this May -- flew down from PDX and got there about 11:30 a.m. We had 3 kids with us, and went straight to CA after checking in -- ate lunch there, did a few rides and watched some street performances, walked around and settled in to just being "at Disneyland". It was great, because although I'm a planner the plan was just to do whatever, so when it ended up being very crowded that day it didn't bother me because I knew it was like a "free" afternoon. Then we did an early night and the kids were all good to go first thing the next day.

BUT we go only every few years at best. It looks like you go more frequently, so in that case, the extra afternoon may not be as important for you.

I would definitely opt for the 5-day hoppers to get that extra afternoon on arrival day. We had a similar situation this May -- flew down from PDX and got there about 11:30 a.m. We had 3 kids with us, and went straight to CA after checking in -- ate lunch there, did a few rides and watched some street performances, walked around and settled in to just being "at Disneyland". It was great, because although I'm a planner the plan was just to do whatever, so when it ended up being very crowded that day it didn't bother me because I knew it was like a "free" afternoon. Then we did an early night and the kids were all good to go first thing the next day.

BUT we go only every few years at best. It looks like you go more frequently, so in that case, the extra afternoon may not be as important for you.
We're flying down from PDX! I think we may do the 5 day upgrade. While I go twice a year, DD only gets to go once (I take a friends only trip each winter) so she should get that extra time. And if we don't rope drop on that Thursday, no big deal we won't feel pressure because we'll have more time.

Thank you all for your help and ideas. It's nice to talk this out with people of like minds. My husband just looks at me, baffled.

Thank you all for your help and ideas. It's nice to talk this out with people of like minds. My husband just looks at me, baffled.
[/QUOTE]

This is so perfectly put (and funny too). Some people just don’t get it so it’s great to find people who do!

Our flight is 2 hours and we fly in super early so make it to the parks around 11 - we would totally do itinerary 1. One party day we slept in, DD and I did the Haunted House decorating class at Ralph Brennan's and then had a late lunch at Jazz Kitchen.

Usually I would be all about adding a 5th day to our tickets but with a little one I would think about how late they would last during the party.

On Last Minute Travel the 5 day hopper ticket is less than $3 more than the 4 day.

Since the price difference is negligible, I would just upgrade and then you have the flexibility to do what you want. Not much lost if you decide not to go to the parks on your arrival day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter