What would you do? Resort decision...

melifeld

Mouseketeer
We are planning a surprise trip for our DS 6th birthday in July. I currently have a reservation at Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek because I found a really great deal in a king room with bunk bed alcove, even including the resort fees. We have never stayed off site before, and I am now questioning my decision to do so for our son's birthday trip. As much as I try to justify it, I know that Wyndham will not make this trip half as magical for my son as Disney will.

The rate I currently have at Wyndham is cheaper than the current (no discount) Disney value rate. We will be getting APs this year, so parking at parks is not an issue.

What would you do? Would you switch to Disney resort to ensure a magical vacation and pay more, or stick with the Wyndham Grand (not the timeshare)?

Thanks in advance everyone.

We are planning a surprise trip for our DS 6th birthday in July. I currently have a reservation at Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek because I found a really great deal in a king room with bunk bed alcove, even including the resort fees. We have never stayed off site before, and I am now questioning my decision to do so for our son's birthday trip. As much as I try to justify it, I know that Wyndham will not make this trip half as magical for my son as Disney will.

The rate I currently have at Wyndham is cheaper than the current (no discount) Disney value rate. We will be getting APs this year, so parking at parks is not an issue.

What would you do? Would you switch to Disney resort to ensure a magical vacation and pay more, or stick with the Wyndham Grand (not the timeshare)?

Unless you were going to switch to a Disney deluxe, I wouldn't change your reservation. Bonnet Creek gets awesome reviews (the pool is as good, or better, than any Disney pool.) The parking fee isn't an issue for you guys. But then again, I'm someone who knows that offsite stays can be just as magical as its onsite counterparts.

I've looked at Bonnet Creek myself, but have never pulled the trigger on a reservation there.
As long as you have a car and are willing to drive to the parks, you shouldn't have a problem getting around. Do not rely on their transportation to get anywhere.
Less "Magic"? I would have to think so. But it could be a better value in the long run. I might be tempted to hedge my bet and reserve a room hoping for an AP discount and cancel whichever one I didn't want at the last minute to get a full refund. If it was within a few dollars I'd go on-site.
Bonnet creek is about as close to on-site as off-site can get. You are right next to the Epcot resorts of OKW, POR & POFQ.
The reason I have never booked there is I go for the resort experience as much as the park time. My kids are adults now and we don't need the giant Mickey theme 24/7.

At 6, your DS will find magic everywhere, which is why that age is so awesome! The Wyndham will be beautiful and he 'll love the pool, and if you are anything like us, you won't spend much time at the resort anyways :). Take the money you save and spend it on a magical experience, like an extra character meal, or a really great souvenir. You will have a great trip either way. Enjoy!!

Hi, just for your info. on April 2 a discount will be released for the summer for the values Pop, All Star Sports, Music. I think it will be 15% off rack rate, so that is something if you wish to change. We always stay on site at values. My kids find them magical even at 12 and 15 years old. Enjoy your son's birthday celebration! :cool1:

1. Art of Animation
2. Fort Wilderness Cabins, bunk beds
3. Wilderness Lodge, I believe some of the rooms here also have bunk beds

By questioning your decision I think you have already answered your question. ;) We fuss about the cost every trip. Many people say the same old thing about only using the resort for sleeping. For me and my Wife and 2 kids, the resort is part of our trip. We have stayed at WL every trip and I can't imagine staying off property. There truly is some kind of "magic" at WDW. Either way, enjoy your trip. The kids grow up before you know it. Have no regrets, because in the end we are making memories.

My brother is at Bonnet Creek as I type this. I spoke with him 2 nights ago and he said the resort is great.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Still not sure what to do. I will be looking at the discounts that come out in a couple of days. Since we are going in July this year, I expect that we will use the pool at the resort a lot more than we have in the past (usually go in January). But I don't see us changing from the Grand to a value.

I'll take any other replies! Love hearing from you all on this.

If this were my first trip to WDW I would stay onsite. WBC is a beautiful resort. However, the quick service food options are sparse and the buses do not run as often as a Disney resort.

That being said, others are correct in that your son won't know the difference between an onsite and offsite hotel. He'll have a great time regardless!

If this were my first trip to WDW I would stay onsite. WBC is a beautiful resort. However, the quick service food options are sparse and the buses do not run as often as a Disney resort.

That being said, others are correct in that your son won't know the difference between an onsite and offsite hotel. He'll have a great time regardless!

If it were me, I would stay onsite, only if I was going to be staying in a moderate or deluxe. The pool is a huge thing with my family, so when I book a resort, the pool is in the top 3. As you know, value resorts have no water slides, although great pools, moderate/deluxe pools are a lot better!

Where you are staying looks amazing too (I've never stayed there) so what I would do is write down the pro's and con's of each resort, and go from there..I find when I write everything down, it helps me a lot.

Good-luck with your decision, I don't think you can pick a bad one. Disney alone is amazing for a child's 6th bday. Lucky boy:)

Cheers!

For Disney part of the magic is staying onsite for us. We take other vacations and stay in different UnDisney hotels/condos but it isn't the same as being immersed at disney. Also, we love not having to think about driving.

For Disney part of the magic is staying onsite for us. We take other vacations and stay in different UnDisney hotels/condos but it isn't the same as being immersed at disney.

This is my thought too. We have been several times and always stayed at a Disney resort, which is part of the reason I am having this dilemma. Driving is not an issue for us. We prefer to have a car and drive to parks because we tend to have dinner at resorts. It's just faster to drive from resort to resort, rather than take two buses.

This is my thought too. We have been several times and always stayed at a Disney resort, which is part of the reason I am having this dilemma. Driving is not an issue for us. We prefer to have a car and drive to parks because we tend to have dinner at resorts. It's just faster to drive from resort to resort, rather than take two buses.

Why Disney resorts have you stayed at? This might help us understand what type of resort "magic" you're looking for.

Bonnet Creek is one of my family's favorite resorts. Last year we stayed one night at BC prior to checking in to our unit at Boardwalk Villas. My DH actually would have preferred BC to BWV. The only advantage for us to stay on property is the proximity to Epcot and HS when we stay at BWV.

We never take advantage of ME from airport and since we have APs the parking fee is not an issue. Renting a car is always a must for us since we like to come and go on our own schedule and explore the nearby shopping centers and restaurants.

The lazy river is a blast at BC.. and the resort is very nice. We have enjoyed several trips to WDW while staying there in a 2 bedroom.

If you find a good deal at Disney and that is comparable in size to what you currently have then that might be tempting.

For the price, I would stick with what you have. We were "onsite" people as well until last December when we took a last minute trip and I had missed out on the Disney discounts. We decided to give the Dolphin a try and it was fantastic! With all of the discounts I found, we were able to stay 3 nights there for the price of 1 night at the Boardwalk. We just got back from a stay at the Ritz Carlton - Orlando and the hotel was gorgeous. Granted, this was not a heavy park touring trip and I would not stay there if we were doing Disney everyday, but Bonnet Creek is a different story - you are just outside Disney property. The only thing my son missed this last trip was going to the parks everyday - that to him is "Disney". Otherwise, he doesn't know the difference between a Disney and non-Disney hotel. We are looking to go over Memorial Day weekend and I just checked the discounted rates. We only stay deluxe when we go to Disney and I just can't justify spending over $400 a night on the room I would want at Disney when we can stay at the Waldorf (in Bonnet Creek!) for $183 per night! We will use their shuttle service and supplement with taxis if need be. I would stick with what you have and plan something really special for your son's birthday - a Pirate cruise, Pirate's League, character meal - it can still be very magical!

We have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, Coronado Springs and once at All Star Sports.

If you liked the mods (which have decidedly less in-your-face Disney icons and decor from the values), you will enjoy Bonnet Creek. The pool is huge (and has a much bigger lazy river than even Stormalong Bay) and the grounds are beautiful. If you're using your own car no matter where you stay, I think you're getting a much better resort for you money than switching to a Disney value or mod.

My DH and I stayed there for our anniversary without the kids last November. I thought it was beautiful and once we saw the pools I felt so guilty we had left the kids at home!

Besides the pools you can see in the pictures, there is a pirate themed zero entry pool that any 6 year old boy would LOVE! Since you'll be there in July, pool time is important :) There are structures around reminiscent of a Spanish fort, complete with faux cannons.

Does he have a bunk bed at home? That right there would be the highlight for my kids, LOL!

We have stayed at Bonnet Creek a few times before and will be doing so again in 12 days, 23-28 April. The resort is great, lots to do, nad like you with your AP's, we ALWAY drive to the parks. Even most times onsite at SoG.

Are you saying in the timeshare resort, or the new hotel resort? Both are on the same land parcel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter