What we did - the short version (honest) - Pictures Added 17/03/09

Pegasus928

DIS Veteran
Now that we are back from Florida - and I am back in Qatar - I thought I would take a little time to put a few things together. I can't remember what we did on what days so it won't be much of a structured trip report - but I will do my best to highlight the good and bad points.
Weather
Started off pretty cool and we spent the first 2-3 days in jeans and jackets. Things soon turned around though and we were back to our usual attire of shorts and t-shirts. It did seem strange to be scraping the ice of the car in the morning, to then be wearing sun screen by 10am - but we learnt a long time ago that Florida holidays were far from the norm.
Arrival
Our flight over was pretty uneventful. We spent the night before in the Radisson at Manchester and went down nice and early to the Virgin desk to check our bags in. Once done we went straight through to get some breakfast and have to say we were extremly dissappointed. Green eggs, cold beans, dirty tables and god-awful coffee. Not a good start and we now wish we had stayed for breakfast at the hotel. More expensive but would have been worth it I think.
No problems at immigration or car hire. Once we got to the car I realised I had packed the sat-nav - which had the villa location in it - in one of the suitcases, so had a go at trying to find it. After 5 minutes of routing around (note for all the guys - women are a bit funny when it comes to their underwear being on display in a public car park - even if they're not wearing it at the time :rolleyes1 ) gave up and decided to wing it based on my DWs memory from what she saw on google earth. Less than 30 minutes later we were pulling up at the villa - well done missus. :thumbsup2
We were all very pleased with the villa - especially the kids who both got a double bedroom with their own bathroom each. Lovely views over the lake, sounds from the wild life at night and all the ammenities we could need. We would certainly rent this villa again - which is the first time we have said that.
After exploring the villa we got in the car and went to DTD to sort our tickets out. Got annual passes for me and DW and exchanged the kids vouchers for their tickets without any problems. We then went to Earl of Sandwich for tea. We all had a sandwich believe it or not.
Rather than try to detail each day from memory I will, instead, just talk about our experiences in the parks themselves.
Magic Kingdom
For the first time ever we decided to turn up early enough for park opening. We had heard many tales of what this is like so we got a good spot, front row centre to the station, and waited. We weren't dissappointed and DW had a few tears in her eyes by the end. I won't go into too many details as most of you have already seen it but it is worth getting up for if anyone is considering it. A really nice start to any day.
We spent our trips there doing the usual stuff. Photos with the characters, rides, watching the parades. Personally I wasn't overly impressed by the new 3pm parade. I much preferred the snow globe one to be fair but if anyone is going for the first time I am sure they will love it. We also managed to see Wishes 3 times - each time from a different spot. First time was from the balcony at the California Grill. Second time was on the station at the end of Main Street. We were in the park for a total of 22 minutes that night as we only turned up for the fireworks. We then went over to the Poly to watch the Electric Boat Pageant. We had never seen this before so were determined to see it this time around. It was nice to see but not sure we would go out of our way to see it in the future. The 3rd time we saw Wishes was after the ferry had dropped us off near the car parks. We had stayed in the park to watch Spectromagic then left. The ferry dropped us off just as Wishes was beginning and the music was being piped through to the jetty. So we stood and watched it from there along with a few others who had got off the boat. It was quite a good spot to be honest and I would consider watching it from there again. You could even see Tink when she does her bit in the beginning.
We managed to do a few rides we hadn't done before and, against my better judgement, also did It's a Small World. God I hate that tune - and it stuck with me all day just as I had feared. The only ride we didn't get to go on was the Winnie the Pooh one. We were about to join the queue when everyone was turned away and Disney firemen turned up in all their gear and went into the ride. A few questions later and we found that there had been a fire inside, but we never got to find out anymore. Personally I would be inclined to blame Tigger – but DW was having none of that.
Epcot
This is fast becoming one of the favourite parks for us all. DS loves Soarin and Test Track (as do the rest of us to be honest) but doesn’t tend to do much in the other parks. We all like to wander around the world showcase, and the Biergarten in the German section is one of our favourite places to eat anywhere. Against our better judgement we decided to try somewhere new this time around, and this is when we experienced our first ever “OMG” moment with Disney. We decided to go to 9 Dragons in China. The food choice was limited but we all found something we would like so stayed and ordered. As the meals arrived I set my chopsticks in my noodles as I turned to help DD with her meal - like so
IMG_0788.jpg

Next thing I know the waitress is rushing over to tell me that the what I have done is very unlucky in Chinese custom and means that one of our party is going to die. Yep. DIE. :eek: To say that this caused a little distress to my kids would be an understatement. DS, who is autistic, takes things very literally so believed what the waitress had said. We tried to reassure them but the day was pretty much ruined by that point. We felt strongly enough about it that we left the park via customer relations and mentioned it to them. They said they would bring it up with the restaurant, and I hope they did. We are all for learning about new cultures and traditions but being told that it was unlucky would have been enough for me to remove the offending chop sticks.
Hollywood Studios
The highlight of this park is always Fantasmic. It is a must on any of our trips and we have now got into the routine of booking the dinner package – especially as they have cut down the number of shows and seating is at a premium. The day we went was a Sunday and we ate at Hollywood and Vine. It was very nice and we will be doing the same in October. That night they were showing Fantasmic twice. I don’t know if this is normal for a Sunday or if it was because it was Presidents Day weekend. We were told when we went for our meal that the reserved seating we got as part of the dinner package was only valid for the 7pm showing, and not the 8pm one. This suited us as it is the one we planned to go to anyway – but it might not have suited others so it is worth bearing in mind when doing your planning.
A new thing for us was Toy Story Mania. This had just opened when we were last there but we never got to ride. We made up for it this time and went on it 3 or 4 times – it really is that good. The queues can be ridiculously long but if you havent done it before you wont be dissappointed. How some of the people get the scores they do is beyond me – my best score was still only half of what the best for the month was. DizneeMad gave me a few pointers before we left but by the time we had got on the ride I had forgotten most of what he had told me (sorry Paul). Maybe he can post them here so we all have a fighting chance next time we go.
Animal Kingdom
Nothing new to report here really. We did the Lion King show which we havent done before and that was worth a watch. We were left gobsmacked by some of the performances there. We had lunch at Tusker House. Very nice it was too. A good mix of spicy and not so spicy that seemed to cater well for all tastes.
Universal Studios
Both parks got a bit of a hammering from us on the rides front. There is plenty for us all to do here. The thing we did notice was that there always seemed to be 2 rides in each park that were closed each time we went – and it changed each time. The signs said maintenance but it became a standing joke with us, and the kids would guess on the way which 2 it would be this time. We stayed for the Mardi Gras parade, and joined in the mad scrum for beads. I couldn’t believe how much effort people were prepared to go to in order to get their hands on a set of plastic beads that would cost 50c in any naff gift shop – but then when we counted how many the kids had around their necks it came to about 30 each – which is about $15. Maybe I should stick them on ebay. ;)
US is also busy building its new ride and this looks absolutley awesome. Reading on the website it says that riders will chose the music track they want to listen to whilst riding the coaster and onboard cameras will record their ride. They can then buy a customised DVD at the end. It opens in spring so it is definitely on the ‘to-do’ list for October.
Other Stuff
Because this was our first trip on our own we spent a bit of time doing the things we had always wanted to do – but never quite got round to it for one reason or another.
We took a helicoptor flight on International Drive – fun but quite expensive for what it was.
We went horse riding at Horse World one Sunday morning. None of us had ever been horse riding before so it was an experience for us all to share. We were told that we should keep our horse a good distance from the one in front as the front one may get annoyed if the one behind gets too close. My horse (Abigail – god bless her) decided that she wanted to spend the whole time biting the bum of the one in front –Hershey. Each time I pulled her back and gave some distance she then sped up to close the gap and have another bite. Hershey took offence to this a few times, kicking out with his back legs making Abbi rear up. (I think that is the phrase) This carried on for a while before the guide suggested I tighten the reins a little and make Abbi walk a little slower. She didn’t like this at all and proceeded to toss her head around covering me in horse spit – much to the amusement of the rest of my family. In the end the guide told me that they don’t bring Abbi out much because of this reason – and she is pretty much a back up horse. Great. I suggested that next time maybe they should send her out with the intermediate group and not the beginners. Just a thought!
Food
As always this figured highly on our list of priorities. As we had AP’s for Disney and Universal we ate at the parks and hotels more than normal, so got more of a taste – no pun intended – for what each had to offer. Here is a selection of the good and bad.
California Grill – 15th floor of Contemporary
Although this is probably one of the most expensive meals we have ever had anywhere – let alone in Florida – it was by far one of the nicest I have ever had. It certainly should be classed as fine dining, and the reviews that cover the walls of the foyer do seem to support this. Watching Wishes from the balcony was also a lovely end to the meal – but I don’t think we will be doing it again. One thing I remember about the meal – other than how tasty it was – was DS and DD reaction when they brought their starter. Both had ordered from the kids menu and gone for the salad, and both looked in shock when the salad turned out to be 4 lettuce leafs and 6 croutons. Not bad for $4.
Chef Mickey – Contemporary
A good start to the day. A buffet breakfast that was simple but well turned out – nothing special. I think this is good for younger ones, and it gives a great opportuniy to get up close to Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Pluto.
Biergarten – Epcot World Showcase
Our favourite place to eat in Epcot. Good food, good entertainment and the atmosphere – one of a german village at night time – is spot on in our opinion.
9 Dragons Chinese – Epcot World Showcase
Not our favourite place to eat in Epcot as we were told one of us was going to die – pretty hard to get past that really.
Plaza – Magic Kingdom
This is the first time we have ever eaten here and I really enjoyed it. It was good for a lunctime snack if you don’t want anything too heavy. I had a tuna salad in a fresh croissant which was lovely.It also came with chunky proper chips – not the usual french fries that we were accustomed to. DS however was not too impressed by this place as – and these are his own thoughts and in no way reflects the opinions of the group – “all the waitresses are too old and can we go to Hooters please” :rotfl2:
Whispering Canyon – Wilderness Lodge
Last time we ate here we loved it so much it went straight to the top of our list of places to eat this time. The thing that made it so great was the staff that pulled out all the stops to make the atmosphere entertaining, shouting at the guests, sellotaping forks to their hands when they drop them – all the fun stuff. This time around there was something missing and our waitress told us that they had been told to tone it down due to a number of compaints from guests. To us this is a great shame as it was what made the place so much fun. The food is still good – and the all you can eat skillet is worth going for – but we’re not sure if will bother going again as we mainly went for the atmosphere.
Hollywood and Vine – Hollywood Studios
Buffet. We did this as part of the Fantasmic Dinner package. Good choice of food for all tastes and ages. We ate at about 4.30pm and the place – although full – wasn’t crowded at all and there was never a line at the hot plate.
Market Street Café – Celebration
We like to do this for breakfast on a Sunday morning as it ties in with the Farmers Market in Market Street. If you like eggs then you will love this place. If not do what I do and have a sausage muffin followed by a pancake – or 2. For any dog owners out there we also fully recommend the Dog Bark Bakery. Fantastic range of tasty dog treats and the owners are so nice to talk to, making you feel that there is no need to rush off.
T-Rex – DTD
Fantastic atmosphere – especially during the meteor showers. Good food and more than enough of it. If you want to clear your plates then skip the starters – although it will be hard for us to go back and not have the nachos now that we have tried them. This place has been reviewed on this site many times so I won’t repeat it – suffice to say that we will be going back again in October, and if any of your party are into dinosaurs there is nowhere better in our opinion.
Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville – City Walk
Excellent party atmosphere. Varied menu and the food tasted amazing – even the simple stuff like burgers. We got there at about 5.30pm to an empty place – but by 6pm all the tables were full and the queue was out of the door. Timing is everything.
NBA City – City Walk
DW made the statement that this was the best steak she had ever had. Again atmosphere, service and food was very good plus there is a small games area, basketball themed, to keep the kids occupied if they get bored waiting for their meal.
Friendlys - International Drive
One of our favourite places to eat away from the parks, and ideal for those on a budget. While we were there they had a special offer on – main course, ice-cream and a drink for $9.99, meaning that the 4 of us had an excellent meal for under $50. We certainly never come out of here feeling hungry, it is never overly busy and the staff are always friendly.
Bahama Breeze - International Drive
We always try to fit in a trip here at some point – and not just so that DW can have an Ultimate Pina Colada and the West Indies Patties. We have found the best time to go is for lunch as dinner gets very busy and the wait time can be up to an hour – sometimes more.
IHOP
Never been here before but will certainly be returning. A good place to fill up on pancakes that are to die for, before heading out for a long day at the parks. Have them with cream, fruit or just maple syrup – then when you have finished your first 2 they keep on bringing them until you say stop.

Having just read it all back I think I should stop. I could no doubt go on with more of what we got up to but I think I have covered enough.
Needless to say we had a fantastic time, did loads of new stuff - some that we would do again and others that we won't - and found some great places to eat as well.
A lot of what we did was as a direct result of advice I received on here - so a huge thank you to all that answered my questions, and give for the sake of giving.
:disrocks:
Now we have to continue our planning for our trip in October - I just hope we can fit it all in, but if not there's always the next year. :thumbsup2

Sounds like a fantastic trip:thumbsup2

OMG I didnt like the waitress comment in nine dragons that would have really scared and upset me:mad: :sad2:

Great mini trippie Kenny :thumbsup2 .
I agree with you so much on Bahama Breeze+IHOP-food is lovely+yes i agree with your DW the Ulitmate Pina Colada is lovely :thumbsup2 .
We have a ressie at TRex and i am very excited to be eating there-what room were you seated in?.I have heard for dino loving children the Fern Forest room is the best :confused3 .
We also are going to Friendly's for the first time+i noticed on their website this offer,i hope it's still going when we go in 5 weeks :cool1: .
I can't believe about that comment in Nine Dragons :eek: .
We did'nt know whether to try NBA or Nascar-have you tried the other+what one would you recommend out the both if you have?.

It sounded like you had a lovely holiday+welcome home :goodvibes .x.

Great mini trippie Kenny :thumbsup2 .
I agree with you so much on Bahama Breeze+IHOP-food is lovely+yes i agree with your DW the Ulitmate Pina Colada is lovely :thumbsup2 .

Thank you - I'm sure it is the only reason she insists on eating here ;)

We have a ressie at TRex and i am very excited to be eating there-what room were you seated in?.I have heard for dino loving children the Fern Forest room is the best :confused3 .

We were originally seated in the Ice Cave, but asked to be moved as the changing lights were messing with our heads and giving DD a headache. We were then moved into the next room - which I believe was the Fern Forest and this was much better. I would think this would be good for dino lovers as there are models all around you to go and investigate. Second time we went we were sat in the Coral Reef next to the Shark Bar. This is right next to the entrance, so may not be suitable if you fancy eating without the queue of people waiting patiently for a table drooling over your food ;)

We did'nt know whether to try NBA or Nascar-have you tried the other+what one would you recommend out the both if you have?.

We have eaten in both and, if pushed, would go for NBA. The menus and prices are similar from what I remember - although we didn't go to NASCAR this time around - but DWs comment about the steak would probably swing it. Second time we went she opted for a sesame crusted salmon with ginger soy marmalade and was also very happy with her choice. And thats before we mention the desserts :goodvibes

Great trippie! I am amazed at what the waitress said in Nine Dragons, especially seeing that you have children with you. I would have been livid!

Kenny thanks so much for your quick replies :thumbsup2 .
I have also heard that the Ice Cave lights mess with your eyes+head.If the room you were in seemed a little quiter+was situated at the back of the restaurant-then 'apparantly' that is the Fern Forest Room.
As for NBA/Nascar i am a steak lover,99%of my meals are steak,and Hubby likes the sound of the salmon on the website-so it will probably be NBA then.Did DW have the steak in TRex?.Sorry for more questions :goodvibes .x.

Kenny thanks so much for your quick replies :thumbsup2 .
I have also heard that the Ice Cave lights mess with your eyes+head.If the room you were in seemed a little quiter+was situated at the back of the restaurant-then 'apparantly' that is the Fern Forest Room.
As for NBA/Nascar i am a steak lover,99%of my meals are steak,and Hubby likes the sound of the salmon on the website-so it will probably be NBA then.Did DW have the steak in TRex?.Sorry for more questions :goodvibes .x.
First time we went we both had the Boneyard Buffet - which is half a chicken and a rack of ribs - and we hardly made a dent in it. It was huge.
Second time DW had the Ice Age salmon salad and I had a tuna salad. It was quite early on in the day (11.30ish) so we couldnt really face a big lunch. We just popped in after dropping our bags of at DTD check-in.

sounds like you had a great time---except being told someone was going to die. how stupid of them to say that.

good luck planning for your oct trip.:goodvibes

First time we went we both had the Boneyard Buffet - which is half a chicken and a rack of ribs - and we hardly made a dent in it. It was huge.
Second time DW had the Ice Age salmon salad and I had a tuna salad. It was quite early on in the day (11.30ish) so we couldnt really face a big lunch. We just popped in after dropping our bags of at DTD check-in.

Thanks Kenny :goodvibes .
If you don't mind i am afraid i have another question :rolleyes1 -we are going to our first Mardis Gras-i can't wait to see MCHammer :cool1: .We will be watching the parade first,now i have read(apart from yours) on other threads about this mad frenzy for the beads-is it really THAT bad?.I am worried now as my girls are only 7+4 and both are really excited at the prospect of catching the beads.The last thing i want is for them to get hurt in anyway.
Over on the US boards someone reported that there was a mass surge behind them as the beads were starting to get thrown+they ended up right near the floats :scared1: :sad2: ,closer than they ever hoped to be by the sound of it :eek: .x.

Sounds like you had a great trip Kenny. :thumbsup2 Thanks for the tip on Bahama Breeze - I had it down to do for dinner one night but I think I will make it a lunch stop on one of our rest days instead.

I laughed so much at the comment about underwear and car parks !! fantastic!!
I know how muc that comment from 9 dragons musthave upset ur son and I certaintly hope that whoever said that got reprimanded i was shocked!!
Cant wait to do toy story mania !!

Thanks Kenny :goodvibes .
If you don't mind i am afraid i have another question :rolleyes1 -we are going to our first Mardis Gras-i can't wait to see MCHammer :cool1: .We will be watching the parade first,now i have read(apart from yours) on other threads about this mad frenzy for the beads-is it really THAT bad?.I am worried now as my girls are only 7+4 and both are really excited at the prospect of catching the beads.The last thing i want is for them to get hurt in anyway.
Over on the US boards someone reported that there was a mass surge behind them as the beads were starting to get thrown+they ended up right near the floats :scared1: :sad2: ,closer than they ever hoped to be by the sound of it :eek: .x.

I would say that it depends a lot on where you decide to watch the parade from. First year that we went and did this we sited ourselves on the a bend and before long the 'crowd' was 5 or 6 lines deep. We were at the front but got pushed quite a bit.
This year we sat on the stretch of road that runs in front of Terminator. We were sat on the kerb directly opposite the Magic Show (next door to Mels Diner) from about 45 minutes before the parade started. When it got round to us a family of 3 had turned up and we made way for the little lad at the front - while his Mum and Dad stood behind and watched the parade. Our kids never got pushed or shoved and there was no scrum at all to speak of where we were, although a little further down were groups of teens who were fighting amongst themselves - but it was just harmless fun.
I would say to have a walk along the route an hour or so before and pick a spot on the kerb that is empty or quiet and you will be fine.

Sounds like you had a great trip Kenny. :thumbsup2 Thanks for the tip on Bahama Breeze - I had it down to do for dinner one night but I think I will make it a lunch stop on one of our rest days instead.

One thing to consider if you do prefer to make it a dinner trip is to take their number and call ahead. You can't book tables but if you call ahead when you are on the way they will add you to the waiting list.
We have only ever gone for dinner once and the wait was pretty bad - we always go for lunch now instead.

I would say that it depends a lot on where you decide to watch the parade from. First year that we went and did this we sited ourselves on the a bend and before long the 'crowd' was 5 or 6 lines deep. We were at the front but got pushed quite a bit.
This year we sat on the stretch of road that runs in front of Terminator. We were sat on the kerb directly opposite the Magic Show (next door to Mels Diner) from about 45 minutes before the parade started. When it got round to us a family of 3 had turned up and we made way for the little lad at the front - while his Mum and Dad stood behind and watched the parade. Our kids never got pushed or shoved and there was no scrum at all to speak of where we were, although a little further down were groups of teens who were fighting amongst themselves - but it was just harmless fun.
I would say to have a walk along the route an hour or so before and pick a spot on the kerb that is empty or quiet and you will be fine.

Thanks Kenny :goodvibes .I was'nt sure on where to sit/stand but will try+get to where you were which sounds ok :thumbsup2 .I know there only cheapie plastic beads,but my girls really want to catch some-as they love all that plastic jewllery.x.

Thanks Kenny :goodvibes .I was'nt sure on where to sit/stand but will try+get to where you were which sounds ok :thumbsup2 .I know there only cheapie plastic beads,but my girls really want to catch some-as they love all that plastic jewllery.x.

So did my DS - and he's 14 :rotfl2:

One thing I meant to mention earlier is that if you are that keen to see MC Hammer then you really need to decide if you want to watch him or the parade. By the time the parade is finished the closest you will get to the stage is the main road that runs between Shrek and Jimmy Neutron.
The area in front of the stage fills up really early for the big events, though we were there on Presidents weekend so I'm sure this didn't help. I dread to think what it will be like when Kelly Clarkson is there - not to mention the Village People :rolleyes1

I dread to think what it will be like when Kelly Clarkson is there

That's the night we're going, but I had already intended to miss the parade as I'm sure you're right, it is going to be mobbed and I would rather see her than the parade.

Great review thanks!! I can't believe your awful waitress at 9 Dragons - hope she was spoken to!

And I still remain the only person on these boards who absolutely hated Bahama Breeze!!!!:rotfl2:

So did my DS - and he's 14 :rotfl2:

One thing I meant to mention earlier is that if you are that keen to see MC Hammer then you really need to decide if you want to watch him or the parade. By the time the parade is finished the closest you will get to the stage is the main road that runs between Shrek and Jimmy Neutron.
The area in front of the stage fills up really early for the big events, though we were there on Presidents weekend so I'm sure this didn't help. I dread to think what it will be like when Kelly Clarkson is there - not to mention the Village People :rolleyes1

As long as i can see a screen with him on-that will be enough for me-i would'nt dream of taking my girls near the front in case they got hurt.Shameful to admit
blush.gif
-but i have seen him twice in concert donkey-years ago(blimey i'm showing my age :lmao: )so a screen will be fine.x.

Great trip report - sorry about your experience at the 9 Dragons. We have never tried the Biergarten but sounds like it's worth investigating when we return in September! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter