What was the biggest trend at your school?

'97

Jnco jeans
band tshirts
flannels
cords
Vans
piercings
colored hair
chokers
bodysuits
plaid skirts
doc martins
knee highs/thigh high stockings
scrunch socks
babydoll dresses

Watch Clueless and My So Called Life and that's pretty much my high school experience.

Last edited:
I had forest green, maroon, gray and dark blue. Loved my cords

I don't remember Nike's either. It was Adidas back then. 75 Rio Linda and I got to go to DL that night. Sorry. We had 3 buses going but ours broke down under the railroad overhead on 99 just before the first offramp downtown. We sat there for 3 hours. At the time, we were upset but the good news was, everyone else had been sitting in the DL parking lot for 4 hours waiting for grad nite to open. We got to stop for dinner and got there 15 minutes before grad nite. You forgot one movie..the Exorcist. Our cheerleaders got in trouble for cutting school to go see it and got banned from cheering that night.

Exorcist came out in 1973, so not part of my graduation year of 1975.

class of '94 - overall, pretty much anything the kids from Saved By the Bell, Full House, and BH 90210 were wearing, so were we.

Standouts by year lol:

Freshman year: SKIDS and big hair with scrunchies
Sophomore year: pegged jeans, jean shorts worn with footless tights/leggings with lace and designs at the bottom
Junior year: pajama pants and bodysuits and jeans with a baggy t-shrt tucked in with a big belt
Senior year: overalls with one strap hanging down, and the grunge look was just starting at my upper-middle-class ritzy high school (I was one of the "poor" kids with a 10 year old car and no European skiing vacations)

I vaguely remember LaCoste sweaters and sticking quarters into penny loafers in middle school.

Class of '77
Jordache Jeans
Mood rings
and I don't know any other schools did this but if you were going steady with a guy, you wore his class ring. Of course the ring was too big for you so you had to wrap it in yarn to make it fit. Not just any yarn mind you, it had to be angora yarn! The high school I went to had 2 different high schools in 1 building, their school colors were different so the yarn you used had to match the color of the ring. I was just telling my daughter about this and she thought it was hilarious!

Ok, I'm gonna stick with the year I graduated.

Twist-a-beads and denim jackets.
MTV and Michael Jackson.
Bruce Springsteen and Magnum P.I.

Just to name a few!

Exorcist came out in 1973, so not part of my graduation year of 1975.

I'm sure you are correct but it's one of those mindless things I remember from school. I forgot to mention buying "beans" 10 for a dollar in a little plastic baggie.

So long ago, lol. Class of '78, but I remember when I was younger it was neon colors, flowers, and POW bracelets, then plaid jeans, head bands, bell bottoms, wallabies, cords, puka shell necklaces, Jordache jeans (though my family could pretty much afford KMmart brand clothes in those days, so I never wore name brands)... high school it was disco, afros, long hair... I remember in 6th grade they started allowing girls to wear pants in school, but my parents didn't let me until jr. high, and I was never allowed to wear jeans to school, or make up, let alone shorts in my senior year.

We should have tried to guess years. Surprisingly chokers and shell necklaces were on my list from the 70's too. I've seen them on a lot of much younger lists! I graduated in '79 and got to start wearing to school in 4th grade. Jeans weren't allowed on girls until 7th grade, but then they were all basically boys levis and then overalls. Designer jeans came along in high school.

I'll start from about 4th grade and move up:

Clackers, crocheted vests, boy's levis on girls, corduroy pants, high thick waisted plaid pants, chokers, puka shell necklaces, leather hair accessories, mini/midi skirts, yes - Nikes, chunky heels, ...

It's weird but I'm drawing a blank on high school other than jeans and Nikes. I came up with stuff easily for 4th - 9th grade. I guess I stopped caring?

Last edited:
Grammar School:
Jelly bracelets & sticker collection books

Jr/High School:
Bennetton shirts, pegged jeans, Aqua Net

This is pretty much the same for me. I actually still have my old sticker book in a trunk of stuff upstairs.

To the high school list, I'll add neon (I had a white sweatshirt with neon "scribbles" all over it that i loved) and layered socks - Why on Earth did we do that??

Oh! We had Chinese Jacks in middle school. I’d make “custom” patterns for my friends. It’s one trend that’s never come back. I think my youngest DD would love them.
View attachment 290599

Oh, yeah, I do remember those!

Class of 81.

Bell bottoms usually Levi brand and tight

Band shirts

Wide leather belts

Wooden heel shoes. We called them clogs but a bit like wedges today. Our jeans had to be long to come just to the bottom of these shoes. So you had to have jeans for these and different jeans for sneakers.

Sneakers were whatever those blue ones with the white stripes were that Starsky wore in Starsky and Hutch

Dressing like Chrissy from 3's Company or at least her hairstyles

Pencil legged jeans with high heels.

Toys from younger years I most remember were clackers and yo yos.

So I got cheated out of the usual all night trip to Disneyland, instead they rented a cabin at Lake Tahoe. 4 years I looked forward to that Disneyland trip.

That stinks. I have chaperoned many of those Grad Nights. 10pm-5am at Disneyland with thousands of teens. And our "teacher lounge" at Plaza Inn at the end of Main Street was well stocked with coffee, donuts, and other treats. We could stop by anytime, but we also had a designated hour or two we had to be there, available. Students knew to come there if they needed something, so we had shifts. And it was free for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter