What to do with ALOT of canned mandarin oranges?

sherry7

DIS Veteran
There's a salvage grocery store near me, and they sell those huge restaurant sized (about a gallon?) cans for only $1-$2. They are either very dented, or lightly dented. I pick out the ones in the best condition.

The last time I went there, I got 3 huge cans of mandarin oranges, packed in a light syrup.

But, I don't know what to do with them! Once I open up a can, I need to use it up quickly...within a few days. I don't think they freeze well, so that's not an option.

DS and DH don't like eating them plain. Anyone have any ideas for recipes that use ALOT of canned mandarin oranges?

Thanks!

Hmmm...I'm not of great help...DS and I :-)) ) love to eat them plain. They doo keep in the fridge for a better part of a week or so--probably even longer. I do like them in salads too--just toss a few on top with a few of those Asian noodles.

Maybe somebody does have some better ideas...if not, I'm sure a food pantry or a local church that has a free meal would love to take them off your hands...good luck and what a great buy!

Oh my-I love them. My favorite is to put them in salad-I drain them and add them to organic mixed greens with same walnuts and a little red onion-so good. You can also make an oriental salad with them, romaine, sesame seeds, almonds and some wonton strips with a sesame dressing. I also make a great cake with em. Let me know if you want the receipe.
They are great if you beat them and add them to vanilla pudding. My kids love em out of the can and in fruit salad. They are great mixed with crushed pineapple.

I would go to www.allrecipes.com and look for a recipe for Ambrosia. Usually uses a lot of mandarin oranges. I don't want to post any one recipe for it, b/c depending on what part of the country you're from and who ya' granny was ;) different things in Ambrosia are considered heresy :rotfl: (My family comes from the whipped cream, coconut, pineapple, pecans Ambrosia clan)

Wendy's (Hamburgers) has a great Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad similar to the one a PP described.

I eat them plain with chocolate syrup, by rinsing off the light syrup, draining, then drizzling with chocolate syrup.

You can also make a nice English Trifle. :)

Great ideas everyone.

I had forgotten about Ambrosia. I'm not allowed to eat it, but DH and DS will love it.

Oh, and I've love to have the cake recipe, Problemchild718. DH and DS would love that. Thanks!

Oh if I had one of those stores in my area I would be there every day. I love mandarin oranges. I remember when I was in high school I would go to the store every day after work and buy a can and eat them on the way home. Of course back then I could eat a cow and not gain a pound.
And branv, ambrosia is made with pineapple, mandarin oranges, miniature marshmellows, a bag of coconut, and sour cream. I LOVE Ambrosia...

I love madarin oranges! Given the chance I'd probably gorge myself on them until I was sick. Next time I get a can I'll have to remember the ideas and recipes. Yum!!

One question on buying dented stuff - how dented can it be before it is unsafe? :confused3

We have a store near us called the "Dented Can". I've seen some pretty dented stuff, banged up boxes, expired stuff (even stuff marked best before 2006) and them some stuff with no damage at all. I've been shopping there more often but I keep hearing my mom ... "dented canned foods will give you food poisoning". She wouldn't buy a dented can for any amount and if it got dented on the way home or in the cupboard it got tossed right away.

Thanks!!

JELLO! If your son likes JELLO you can add them to any flavor. Excellent snack. Make a big batch and scoop into small sealable bowls or ziplock bags to take for lunch or snack time at school.

Maybe use them as a waffle or pancake topping?

We just had strawberry waffles this morning, so that's what automatically came to mind - especially since they're already in a syrup.

.........One question on buying dented stuff - how dented can it be before it is unsafe? :confused3............

Here's my general rule. If it's dented along a seam, I won't buy it. It's it's bulging, I definitely won't buy it! I look for the less dented cans, which usually involves moving a bunch of stuff around.

My finds there include the mandarin oranges, pears, peaches, corn, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, tomato sauce, etc. Some are $1 a can, some are $2. Oh, and using up a gallon of roasted red peppers takes some serious imagination! :lmao:

DH thinks I'm nuts for buying these big cans, but I'd pay just as much for a small can at WM.

Now that I think of it, I've used the pears and peaches to make fruit cobblers with. I wonder if I can use the mandarin oranges for cobbler? That would use up a bunch of them at a time.

I love the great ideas that everyone is giving me! :)

i make ambrosia with mandarin oranges, pineapple, greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and just a little bit of marshmallows. fewer calories, and tons of protein from the yogurt.

Here's my general rule. If it's dented along a seam, I won't buy it. It's it's bulging, I definitely won't buy it! I look for the less dented cans, which usually involves moving a bunch of stuff around.

My finds there include the mandarin oranges, pears, peaches, corn, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, tomato sauce, etc. Some are $1 a can, some are $2. Oh, and using up a gallon of roasted red peppers takes some serious imagination! :lmao:

DH thinks I'm nuts for buying these big cans, but I'd pay just as much for a small can at WM.

Now that I think of it, I've used the pears and peaches to make fruit cobblers with. I wonder if I can use the mandarin oranges for cobbler? That would use up a bunch of them at a time.

I love the great ideas that everyone is giving me! :)

You're making me hugnry! I did a quick search and came up with this for orange cobbler, sounds pretty easy.
  1. 2 tablespoons sugar
  2. 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  3. 1/2 cup cold water
  4. 1/4 cup orange marmalade
  5. 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
  6. 2 teaspoons butter or margarine
  7. 1/2 cup biscuit/baking mix
  8. 1 dash ground nutmeg
  9. 3 tablespoons milk
  10. Vanilla ice cream
Nutrition Info

Per Serving