What should we do now about Coronavirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. And maybe talking will remind folks that stop, take a breath, count to 4 is often a good first option vs overreacting.

I live in the pretty easy-going Midwest.
I mention that because what follows is 100% unusual for our area.
Our local main grocery store has had at least one police car parked on the sidewalk in front and an officer or two in the store for awhile now.
As I see it, they are keeping employees safe, other shoppers safe and deterring bullying and any other troublesome behavior.

We have that here too. The official reason given for the officers’ presence was to remind shoppers that they should be maintaining 6 feet between them. Both while standing in line waiting for the store to open each morning, as well as while inside the store. In my opinion, I like their presence because they are better-trained than the grocery store employees in how to do this effectively.

I have self isolated for about 3 weeks, 14 days because I felt unwell with ‘symptoms’ and 7 days (to date) because my student son returned from South America. So far, it has been ‘fine’. We haven’t needed to shop and actually have been living quite comfortably. The house is large enough to allow us to spread out and I have land so it is easy to walk the dogs, potter in the garden etc. We are just about to run out of things, not essentials or things we cannot live without, but things we would like... so for example eggs. I have also started mentally thinking about what meals we have left, how to divide vegetables, meal plan what we have in the fridge, freezer, garden etc. It was vaguely ‘fun’ or maybe a ‘fun challenge’ but now it suddenly seems very serious, too serious. I refuse to visit the supermarket but luckily I do have a supermarket delivery booked for 11 days and then 6 days after that. Who knows what will be available. I am irritated to see so many people wandering about unnecessarily and being seemingly unable to distinguish between ‘want’ and ‘need’. I wonder whether we would be in a different position now if everyone truly self isolated for 14 days. I cannot imagine continuing to live like this long term. I think most people need an end date.

Here is something fun www.jackbox.tv . You can play various games with anyone else who has the app on their tv. We play it against our family from different states. Its by the makers of You Don't Know Jack and is the same concept. There are many different games you can download like trivia games. It is so much fun and it keeps you connected with people. you can download the app to your smart tv. Everyone will use their phones and you login to a game room someone sets up. There are multiple questions and you gain points by how fast you answer correctly. The multiple choice answers show up on your phone and you click on the answer you think is right. It will show up on the tv when you answer. Its a blast. Its a great way to interact with each other and have a virtual party night.

Here the 14 days isn’t even over yet so we have no idea if it’s working yet.

Yep. My concern is that if we are making some progress that our leaders are going to claim it isn't working and order everyone back to work. We keep getting conflicting direction during different press conferences and on some media outlets that are causing people to blow it off. In another 2 weeks they are going to get sick of staying inside and start showing up on the beach again.

Don't count on that.

There are reports of reinfection in China.

At this point they are not sure if it is true reinfection or a high percentage of high false negatives during testing.

The reports of reinfection are being blamed on false positive tests. Most epidemiologists agree that once infected with SARS-CoV2, an individual remains immune to reinfection. This has been proven in the lab using rhesus monkeys, which are very similar to humans genetically. It is also the case with the other similar coronaviruses out there. This one is over 99% similar to the first SARS, and that one confers lifelong immunity.

They are already using antibody tests in Asia to check large numbers of people for immunity and the test will work reliably with even very low levels of immune markers.

In fact, these tests are being done by a doctor in my county right now (Orange County, CA) on a drive thru basis. He is the only one doing this in the country. Anyone can call and schedule a test to see if they have been infected already and have immunity. This doctor is the only licensed importer of these tests from South Korea and he is being contacted by doctors all over the area asking him to order them tests so they can begin doing this too. The FDA has given this doctor approval to use this test, not for diagnostic purposes, but for immunity screening, although in the early stages of infection, it could technically be used to tell someone they have the virus also.

Hello! I am the one who started this thread. I was talking about things to do to wipe out this virus. I am just so sorry and hate to see the way some of the comments on here have gone. :confused:

Anyway, it looks like these shut-downs are not really helping. This is not stopping this virus. I do think that right now we need to stay safe as much as possible. But this whole 14 day thing is not enough if this awful thing can live and infect on surfaces for nearly a month. I wonder if they have even been spraying down places like the subway in New York?

The shut downs are working in WA state. We are seeing a slowing of our new cases.

My neighbor is an ER nurse and was told that if she tests positive and has no symptoms, or has super mild symptoms where she can work, she should continue to work. It has actually come down to this in our area, but if everyone who is suspected or tested positive were stay home two weeks there would be no healthcare workers left to treat anyone. So it’s basically a balance of measuring risks, the lessor of two evils.
Italian doctors are warning hospitals have become centers of spread.

I am a realist.

I do not believe that people will be able to shelter in place for the months required to truly flatten the curve.

We literally can wipe this thing out in 14 days if EVERYONE complied. Everyone. It would not take 18 months.

Unfortunately, trying to coordinate a worldwide 14 day pause is impossible, so we have to do the next best thing.

I wonder if they have even been spraying down places like the subway in New York?

The MTA is cleaning the subway cars and stations twice a day with bleach, although they’ve been very empty lately (I have a few health care friends that are still commuting). NYC is tough with so many people living in close proximity—especially apartment buildings. I saw my super cleaning the door handles the other day, but there are so many communal surfaces—the front door, the trash room, the washer/dryers, etc.

Isolation IS working. I know this because I am an essential route sales driver in Washington state. I usually have multiple households with some sort of illness going on. We just recovered from a flu that spread throughout the city over a month ago. It lasted 3 weeks for most. I am seeing practically no one is ill from anything which is rare for this time of year. If you study the areas that are effected most they are centralized in high density areas. They also are concentrated in areas with Airport hubs. That is my take on how its being handled.

We literally can wipe this thing out in 14 days if EVERYONE complied. Everyone. It would not take 18 months.

Unfortunately, trying to coordinate a worldwide 14 day pause is impossible, so we have to do the next best thing.
It's impossible to completely isolate. Too many are essential to our survival. For now, we can only do our best to slow the spread.

I just want to say this on the subject of "mental hardship" as a result of social isolation:

Humans are capable of a LOT more hardship than they think. The human spirit, instinct to survive, and ability to adapt is incredible.

Americans, as a society, are generally spoiled by our privilege. We haven't had a war on our soil in over 150 years. Many people alive now have never experienced a real, true hardship.

We are in the early days of this "new normal" and people are understandably wringing their hands and feeling like they are starting to go crazy because everything they took for granted is now in jeopardy. This happens to millions of people every year in this world. It's just now happening to us.

We can handle this. All of us can. You are stronger than you think you are. You will adapt to this situation and realize that you are capable of being okay even without all the comforts you had before (to include close contact with loved ones).

I am a military spouse and not to toot my own horn or anything, but this has basically been our life over the last 21 years. Frequent separations due to training, field exercises, deployments, etc. For over 5 cumulative years, my husband has been separated from us, many times in a war zone where we had to worry every day if he was going to live or die.

I haven't seen my husband since Dec 31. He has been stationed in Japan since last July, without us. He is alone there. He also suffers from depression and PTSD, but he's still managing, even under increased restrictions (he's basically under lockdown too now). We won't see him again until he comes home for good mid summer. It stinks, but it is what it is. Its basically another deployment at this point. #6 for us.

It IS possible to replace physical contact with virtual contact and stay safe and happy and maintain long term relationships. Military families in America have been doing this for literally over a hundred years.

You can do it too.

The great thing is, we have technology that we didn't have even 10 years ago. I mean, 12 years ago, our video calls to my husband in Afghanistan were these terrible quality, glitchy, time delayed static snowstorms. We have it good these days. Take advantage of that tech and encourage your loved ones to do so as well.

It's impossible to completely isolate. Too many are essential to our survival. For now, we can only do our best to slow the spread.

Yeah, I know. However, it would REALLY go a long way if people would truly keep their butts at home for 14 days. Send ONE person out to get food or essential supplies. I mean, geez, we went to get curbside delivery last night and saw an ENTIRE family of like 8 people walk into the restaurant to pick up a takeout order. Like...WHY? This is the reason we won't beat this thing. People are stupid.

I just want to say this on the subject of "mental hardship" as a result of social isolation:

Humans are capable of a LOT more hardship than they think. The human spirit, instinct to survive, and ability to adapt is incredible.

Americans, as a society, are generally spoiled by our privilege. We haven't had a war on our soil in over 150 years. Many people alive now have never experienced a real, true hardship.

We are in the early days of this "new normal" and people are understandably wringing their hands and feeling like they are starting to go crazy because everything they took for granted is now in jeopardy. This happens to millions of people every year in this world. It's just now happening to us.

We can handle this. All of us can. You are stronger than you think you are. You will adapt to this situation and realize that you are capable of being okay even without all the comforts you had before (to include close contact with loved ones).

I am a military spouse and not to toot my own horn or anything, but this has basically been our life over the last 21 years. Frequent separations due to training, field exercises, deployments, etc. For over 5 cumulative years, my husband has been separated from us, many times in a war zone where we had to worry every day if he was going to live or die.

I haven't seen my husband since Dec 31. He has been stationed in Japan since last July, without us. He is alone there. He also suffers from depression and PTSD, but he's still managing, even under increased restrictions (he's basically under lockdown too now). We won't see him again until he comes home for good mid summer. It stinks, but it is what it is. Its basically another deployment at this point. #6 for us.

It IS possible to replace physical contact with virtual contact and stay safe and happy and maintain long term relationships. Military families in America have been doing this for literally over a hundred years.

You can do it too.

The great thing is, we have technology that we didn't have even 10 years ago. I mean, 12 years ago, our video calls to my husband in Afghanistan were these terrible quality, glitchy, time delayed static snowstorms. We have it good these days. Take advantage of that tech and encourage your loved ones to do so as well.
For most of us, we are more resilient than we like to admit.

Yeah, I know. However, it would REALLY go a long way if people would truly keep their butts at home for 14 days. Send ONE person out to get food or essential supplies. I mean, geez, we went to get curbside delivery last night and saw an ENTIRE family of like 8 people walk into the restaurant to pick up a takeout order. Like...WHY? This is the reason we won't beat this thing. People are stupid.
I was speaking more of the healthcare providers, grocery employees, delivery persons, etc. They can use precautions but can't isolate.

Now, the families out shopping? They REALLY cook my last grit.

The reports of reinfection are being blamed on false positive tests. Most epidemiologists agree that once infected with SARS-CoV2, an individual remains immune to reinfection. This has been proven in the lab using rhesus monkeys, which are very similar to humans genetically. It is also the case with the other similar coronaviruses out there. This one is over 99% similar to the first SARS, and that one confers lifelong immunity.

They are already using antibody tests in Asia to check large numbers of people for immunity and the test will work reliably with even very low levels of immune markers.

In fact, these tests are being done by a doctor in my county right now (Orange County, CA) on a drive thru basis. He is the only one doing this in the country. Anyone can call and schedule a test to see if they have been infected already and have immunity. This doctor is the only licensed importer of these tests from South Korea and he is being contacted by doctors all over the area asking him to order them tests so they can begin doing this too. The FDA has given this doctor approval to use this test, not for diagnostic purposes, but for immunity screening, although in the early stages of infection, it could technically be used to tell someone they have the virus also.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucel...how-does-covid-19-immunity-work/#4c330e7b5c0f
Lifelong for the first SARS? Perhaps three years for SARS but not lifelong.
In a study published in a 2007 issue of Emerging Infectious Diseases, a research team from the Shanxi Provincial Center for Disease Control and Prevention in Taiyuan, China, followed 176 patients who had had severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). On average, SARS-specific antibodies remained at the same level in a patient’s blood for about two years. Then, during the third year after infection, antibody levels tended to drop precipitously. This suggests that immunity to the SARS virus may remain for two to three years with reinfection possible after three years.

As for the value of antibody tests, seems problematic at best giving people a false sense of security.
Keep in mind though that antibody levels do not always correlate with immunity. They can be like selfies on Instagram, only indirect measures of what’s really going on at a deeper level. Some people may have immunity against a virus without detectable antibody levels, and some people may be very susceptible to infection even though antibodies are present. The only way to have determined if the patients actually had immunity against the SARS virus would have been to have re-exposed them to the virus and checked what happened. And that would have been a horrible experiment to do.

We need to be committed to this for the LONG haul and I really don't think society will accept that.
Therefore, if you do get exposed to the virus and recover, don’t view it as a free pass to start hugging strangers, digging your fingers deep into your nose like you are looking for pocket change, and licking door knobs. Keep doing what everyone else should be doing such as social distancing, washing your hands frequently and thoroughly, keeping your filthy fingers from gravitating towards your gigantic face, and actively disinfecting surfaces, objects, and that enormous BTS statue that you have in your living room. Just because you survived the first infection, doesn’t necessarily mean that future exposures and possible infections will end up OK. As you know, sequels don’t always have the same endings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter