What should we do now about Coronavirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, once you’ve decided all by yourself it must last 18 months. There are a lot of other possibilities, but you seem to want to ignore them. That’s not being a “realist”
There are a lot of people thinking Disney would open April 1st, even with the new "closed indefinitely" there are people thinking really short term. Maybe people are really clinging to it opening soon because in their minds this whole situation has got to be seen as a temporary, there's a known end date to help preserve their own mental well being and that's totally fine too. I even seen in various threads the "it's only 2 weeks nbd it's easy you can do it" and it's like huh? this isn't a 2 week thing and we're done (even as that ignores the other measures that were done in the several weeks preceeding).

12-18 months has been floated around as the time needed for a vaccine, and it's been advised that such social distancing measures will likely be needed until such vaccine can be provided. Maybe the shelter at home, stay at home orders don't last that long (I think most have been formulated to be several weeks to a month) but I personally don't see my 30-day (ending towards the end of April) to be the last time I'll see such directive and I'm going in expecting that to get extended or if not extended then re-introduced again. I hope I'm wrong though just leaving that as a possibility. A lot of people say "if we would all stay home we can get through this faster"..I don't think they realize that's not what staying at home is doing. Staying at home and the social distancing measures is lengthening the time we deal with this because we have medical priorities going on.

I'm not at all framing my comment that you at all said any of the above it's just something I've seen on the Boards, something I've seen on social media even my own friends. I think it's a common theme of not thinking long enough in the future because maybe that's not what we want to even think about right now.

Sure, once you’ve decided all by yourself it must last 18 months. There are a lot of other possibilities, but you seem to want to ignore them. That’s not being a “realist”

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200324-covid-19-how-social-distancing-can-beat-coronavirus
New computer modelling research from Harvard University, which has yet to be published in an academic journal, warns that it may be necessary for intermittent social distancing measures to be maintained into 2022 in the US unless other interventions such as vaccines, drug therapies and aggressive quarantine measures can be put into place.

Vaccines or drug therapies take time, a year or longer to develop, test, and implement in a safe and controlled manner.

14 months of social distancing implemented in 2-3 week chunks is a real possibility. Followed up by shorter periods for another 12 months.

I think it’s a possibility. I just don’t think it’s such a given we should just open the gates and let everyone who will just die now. I think acting like that’s the ONLY possibility to justify those deaths is not “being a realist”

When we hit 40-60% unemployment there is little the government can do.

Primary elections are being postponed and then postponed again. What will the people do if they are postponed out of an election?

Risk is never zero.
When pigs can fly bacon is going to get a lot more difficult to come by.🤷‍♂️

I think it’s a possibility. I just don’t think it’s such a given we should just open the gates and let everyone who will just die now. I think acting like that’s the ONLY possibility to justify those deaths is not “being a realist”
Maybe society will surprise me and accept a 12-14 month shutdown, I have my doubts.

Hello! I am the one who started this thread. I was talking about things to do to wipe out this virus. I am just so sorry and hate to see the way some of the comments on here have gone. :confused:

Anyway, it looks like these shut-downs are not really helping. This is not stopping this virus. I do think that right now we need to stay safe as much as possible. But this whole 14 day thing is not enough if this awful thing can live and infect on surfaces for nearly a month. I wonder if they have even been spraying down places like the subway in New York?

Last edited:

You are posting fringe stuff that is far from real. I don't like to label people, so I won't label you. But you are not a realist.
Fringe stuff?

That vaccines and drug therapies take 12-14 months to develop, test, and implement?

That experts are saying that social distancing will be necessary for long periods of time?

I remember posting a few weeks ago that the 2 week closures were just a way to ease people into the much longer required closures.

12-14 months in 2-3 week chunks.

To have such a prolonged lockdown would certainly paralyse the economy, harm people's mental health, and cause disillusionment with higher powers. 12-14 months is too long, and breakthroughs need to happen a lot faster if we're to avoid 2020 becoming an annus horribilis.

If he “was the subject of a “months-long domestic terrorism investigation” then his problems started long before this virus.
There are many thousands who were already on the edge. Those are the people that are going to refuse orders to isolate first.

Sadly, I think we are seeing evidence that there are people beginning to lose it, and it will only get worse as we get deeper into it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...anted-bomb-hospital-amid-coronavirus-n1169166
That's in my area. That's not related at all to the virus though I know it would be easy to blame it. The guy had been on FBI radar in September, he was a white supremacist. He was already targeting black schools, mosques, and synagoges..you know 'classic' (and I hate saying that) places. He used the virus and hospitals as a means of another target but I'll be honest I'm still questioning why because he could be killing people who are like minded to him. At least with the other 'classic' places we know motives more.

I don't want people to use this as a way to say "see people have gone over" that's not the case here with this guy and would only serve to deflect this situation.

This didn't even make our local news and that shocked me so much. There was a link to the story off to the side nearly hidden a day after it happened. My husband heard it from national news first. That to me is not a good thing either. That our news is so focused on the virus we end up losing information that affects our area.

If he “was the subject of a “months-long domestic terrorism investigation” then his problems started long before this virus.
Started, sure. There are a lot of people walking around on the edge. But according to what I've read in various articles, his anger at the government and being asked to stay in his house over coronavirus put him over the edge to the point where he was going to drive a truck with a bomb into a hospital.

FBI officials describe Wilson as a potentially violent extremist known to express racial and religious hatred and antigovernment sentiment. They say that while under surveillance, Wilson wanted to commit an act of terrorism, specifically a bombing, and had considered several targets, including a school with a large population of black students, a synagogue and a mosque.

But as the coronavirus pandemic began to take hold in the United States and local officials in Missouri issued stay-at-home orders, FBI officials said Wilson became aggravated.

"With the current health crisis, Wilson decided to accelerate his plan to use a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device in an attempt to cause severe harm and mass casualties," the FBI said in a statement.

Wilson considered various targets and settled on an area hospital, the statement said. The hospital was not identified

Started, sure. There are a lot of people walking around on the edge. But according to what I've read in various articles, his anger at the government and being asked to stay in his house over coronavirus put him over the edge to the point where he was going to drive a truck with a bomb into a hospital.

FBI officials describe Wilson as a potentially violent extremist known to express racial and religious hatred and antigovernment sentiment. They say that while under surveillance, Wilson wanted to commit an act of terrorism, specifically a bombing, and had considered several targets, including a school with a large population of black students, a synagogue and a mosque.

But as the coronavirus pandemic began to take hold in the United States and local officials in Missouri issued stay-at-home orders, FBI officials said Wilson became aggravated.

"With the current health crisis, Wilson decided to accelerate his plan to use a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device in an attempt to cause severe harm and mass casualties," the FBI said in a statement.

Wilson considered various targets and settled on an area hospital, the statement said. The hospital was not identified
Anything could have set him off, he was already planning to do bad things at some point. That's not what we're usually talking about which is your average everyday people. Extremists will use any opportunity at their disposal but they are not the people I want to focus on (though that is me speaking personally not speaking on behalf of anyone else). I'll leave that up to the FBI. Meanwhile I'm more concerned about my friends who have known to be up and down with periods here of depression and my friends that suffer from anxiety, my friends who are on the verge of losing their jobs or already have, those are the people I want to focus on in respects to how we can realistically help out.

I get where your viewpoint is coming from though :flower3:

Hello! I am the one who started this thread. I was talking about things to do to wipe out this virus. I am just so sorry and hate to see the way some of the comments on here have gone. :confused:

Anyway, it looks like these shut-downs are not really helping. This is not stopping this virus. I do think that right now we need to stay safe as much as possible. But this whole 14 day thing is not enough if this awful thing can live and infect on surfaces for nearly a month. I wonder if they have even been spraying down places like the subway in New York?

Whilst this is still a new virus, studies done so far suggest its days not nearly a month living on surfaces new scientist & WHO. Obviously more studies can be undertaken over time

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter