• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What should we do now about Coronavirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the government is trying to support the people both through the health crisis and the economic crisis (and they are), there is ZERO risk of revolt. ZERO. The risk is in the government doing nothing.
When we hit 40-60% unemployment there is little the government can do.

Primary elections are being postponed and then postponed again. What will the people do if they are postponed out of an election?

Risk is never zero.

What about those that suffered mental health issues caused by the shutdown?

Lots of posts on here by people that do not sound like they are mentally handling the isolation very well at all. Months more of this and what state will they be in?

I know there are a lot of things OTHER than death that need to be considered as well.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. I am one of those people. This isn't easy. But my anxiety would go through the roof if we just said, ok Darwin rules. May the fittest survive. 3/5 of my family have asthma. They are healthy, but are at much higher rate for the disease. So yeah, anxiety at them dying or social isolation. Great choice for my mental health. :-)

We will just have to agree to disagree.

The thing is, to slow the spread of the virus and save lives we need these measures to prevent the hospitals from being overwhelmed. BUT, we also need the strength of the economy to actually fight for the cure to this virus. This is an incredibly complex balancing act and I grow weary of posters that insist on injecting their political bias into the conversation - knock it off, this is the Disboards.

Not downplaying the severity all.

I have said in many threads that I expect 100,000,000 to die worldwide. Because I don’t think as a society we can isolate for 18 months until a vaccine is developed and administered to the world population.

In my mind it is better to accept the death now so the survivors can live.
They are also working on a cure, with some success. Young people are dying, and dying alone. My friend’s 18 year old is hospital for another issue, he’s sick and needs surgery. He’s by himself.

No, there are reports of people who were not completely recovered having the virus reemerge in their system. The tests were very immature even a few weeks ago. Tons of false negatives. Tests today are better than 98% accurate.

You are spreading false information. Please stop.
From the CDC Q&A site:
Q: Can people who recover from COVID-19 be infected again?

A: The immune response to COVID-19 is not yet understood. Patients with MERS-CoV infection are unlikely to be re-infected shortly after they recover, but it is not yet known whether similar immune protection will be observed for patients with COVID-19.

I pointed out that there is the possibility of false negatives causing the "reinfections", so no I am not spreading false information.

China is reporting that 5-10% of patients reported as recovered a month ago are now testing positive.

Research needs to be done and we can not count on immunity.

They are also working on a cure, with some success. Young people are dying, and dying alone. My friend’s 18 year old is hospital for another issue, he’s sick and needs surgery. He’s by himself.
I am not saying that is not sad.

But young people die every day. Old people die every day. Middle aged people die every day. Alone.

Great, they are working on a cure. As a society are we willing to pause life for up to 18 months in 2 week chunks while we wait on a cure? I don't think society will wait.

Just look at all the New Yorkers that fled the state.

From the CDC Q&A site:

I pointed out that there is the possibility of false negatives causing the "reinfections", so no I am not spreading false information.

China is reporting that 5-10% of patients reported as recovered a month ago are now testing positive.

Research needs to be done and we can not count on immunity.
China reporting is really irrelevant. I’ll look to information from Madagascar before I trust their numbers.

And then there is this part of society:

I hope this is Kevin Donnelly. Your wife is a horrible woman and to accept the deaths of people you guys are disgusting and I am horrified that you guys walk the planet you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

That is a voice mail I just received from a DisBoards internet stalker. Not sure why you hate my wife so much?

This is the break down of society I am predicting.

Who ever left this message should contact a mental health care provider, I am worried for your mental health.

Last edited:

But young people die every day. Old people die every day. Middle aged people die every day. Alone.

Great, they are working on a cure. As a society are we willing to pause life for up to 18 months in 2 week chunks while we wait on a cure? I don't think society will wait.

Yes. This is correct. All of these shelter in place orders are designed to scare folks into sheltering to slow the spread and the strain on the hospitals. In about 2-3 weeks more and more people are going to go crazy and just plain ignore the order. And the government is not going to be able to do a thing about it. People will go to parks, play basketball at a park, go fishing, etc.. Society WILL NOT tolerate the isolation for long. And government knows this. People go to work so that they can do all the things they love to do socially. Very few work and live for spending every other moment at home. We are social creatures. Thank goodness we have skype, FaceTime, etc...as these are helping us tolerate isolation a bit longer.

That is a voice mail I just received from a DisBoards internet stalker. Not sure why you hate my wife so much?

I am so sorry you received that message, there is no excuse for it, ever, full stop. But this is not new at all and not indicative of a societal breakdown due to COVID-19, internet trolls are scum and have been around since day one of the internet.

The mental health implications of these quarantine orders are real, and should be taken seriously, but do you truly believe that people's mental health would be better if we just let this thing go through our population, killing the numbers anticipated? I, for one, do not. I can assure you that my mental health would be far worse under your plan.

:scared1: OMG - proof positive! Dare I say karma is gonna get that fool?

I am so sorry you received that message, there is no excuse for it, ever, full stop. But this is not new at all and not indicative of a societal breakdown due to COVID-19, internet trolls are scum and have been around since day one of the internet.

The mental health implications of these quarantine orders are real, and should be taken seriously, but do you truly believe that people's mental health would be better if we just let this thing go through our population, killing the numbers anticipated? I, for one, do not. I can assure you that my mental health would be far worse under your plan.
I am a realist.

I do not believe that people will be able to shelter in place for the months required to truly flatten the curve.

A buddy was alone in a hospital for 9 months in Japan. He almost died. He was 19 and severely hurt by a North Vietnamese rocket in the fight for Dak To. I’m sure your friends 18!year old and doctors will figure it out. Luckily they have phone text and so forth

I have been quarantining and will continue to do so. However, there is going to have to be a balance relatively soon. Yes, the government is going to send out checks - but that is not enough to sustain people for MONTHS of quarantine.

I am concerned about the economy - very much so. For example, there are retailers that have been paying employees even though stores are closed. This morning I just got an email from Nordstrom that they will only be paying store employees through April 5th. Places cannot go on paying employees who are not working indefinitely. In addition, many of us can work from home. However, depending on your industry and client base vendors may slow down payments, cancel orders, scale back projects to the bare minimum. I don't think many people realize the full ramifications of all of that either.

No matter how you slice it, this is going to be very painful and in my opinion, we have only just begun...

Curious do you have anyone close to you in a high-risk category who is at risk of contracting the virus & dying?

Curious do you have anyone close to you in a high-risk category who is at risk of contracting the virus & dying?
My wife’s parents live in our basement. They are 75 and 71. We have been practicing social distancing to limit our exposure so we can provide them with whatever they need.

Doesn’t change my belief that as a society we will not be able to continue this for the months that are required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter