What should go in my toddler's backpack?

Eponine

Earning My Ears
My son, who will be a month shy of 3 during our trip, has asked if he could take his very beloved backpack with him to WDW. I decided that this wouldn't be a half bad idea. He goes way beyond the normal level of responsibility for his age (consistently reminding us to turn Christmas tree lights off when we left the house before he was even 2 is a good example!), so I feel comfortable with the fact that he probably won't let it get lost - there would be no valuable items in it anyway. Here's what I have planned to put in it, so that he can have some control over what he uses and when:

Juice cup
Container(s) with finger snacks
Glow stick (for dark rides and general entertainment in the evening)
Small writing pad and a few crayons
Sunglasses

Does anyone else have any other suggestions for things that he might want to have on hand? This is his first trip, so a lot of the aspects of planning for a toddler are unfamiliar to me.

Thanks!

He will need a stroller at WDw and I don't know how comfortable he will be with something on his back. My son usually doens't carry anything. I simply have a piece of masking tape on his back with our cell phone number-just in case.

What you have so far sounds good. I woudl pack more practical items, like a rain poncho and his autograph book and fat pen.

He'll be in a stroller, but we'll most likely tether the backpack onto it in a place where it will be accessible to him. He'll probably have the backpack during rides if he wants to (if not, I'm sure it will be just fine in the stroller).

I'm still up in the air on whether or not to start him down the autograph road yet! The rain poncho is a good idea, though...it has to go somewhere, anyway! :)

Thanks for the tips!

Handi wipes, tissues, squeezelight for dark rides.

You might also want to give him a disposable camera. Even though the pictures won't be perfect it will give you a great idea of what he saw, and what he thought was important. My DS had a camera at 4 and the pictures are priceless.

Our first time with kids also, DS 5 and DD 3. What is a squeezelight?? The glow in the dark sticks sound like a good idea. Don't know how well potty trained his is, but I'm taking an extra set of clothes just in case they can't hold it until we FIND a bathroom. I can see it now, as we are waiting in line for a ride and I hear "mommy I go to go"!!! UGH!!

our first year, DS was 4 months, DS was 4 years and DD was 8. DS the eldest had a disposable camera. It was great. There were a lot of pictures of legs but he really loved the topiaries and took beautiful (sort of ) pictures of them. I really recomend that. I started DS #2 on the camera at 2 years.

My kids really liked the autograph books when they were younger also. I was a real thrill to be up next to the character. I depends of the kid of course. We DS #2 was 16 months, we started at the Crystal Palace so the characters took time and were very patient and after that he willing went to other characters. He still brings that book out.

Last year on this board, someone suggested getting a shirt and a dark cloth pen and having the characters sign the shirt (not while worn) That might be an idea because that would limit the number of character lines you will be in and he can show it off when he wears it. My father at 70 gets more people stopping him and asking about the shirt that I would believe possible

Maybe you could talk him into a new Disney fanny pack instead. Then you won't have to worry as much about losing it and you could put his name and phone number inside.

As squeeze light is a tiny flashlight that you squeeze to get it to light up. They usually have a little chain on them so you can attach them to your keychain. I attached it to the zipper pull on the kids fanny packs and it was readily available if they were in a dark ride and wanted a little light. The rule was they had to shine it on their lap or on the floor of the ride car so they didn't bother anyone else. It helped a lot when my DS was 4. Made him feel more in control.

If you aren't sure about the autograph books take a small notebook and a fat pen with you. It never fails that when you don't have something to sign your kids will want to start getting autographs. Autograph books and fat pens are sold all over the place but try to make a toddler wait until you find one. ;)

Why can't I find them anywhere? Disney.com doesn't have them, unless they are calling them something else! Any help would be appreciated. I have 6 and 10yo DD's, so the child sized ones would be best.

What about some bubbles for line waits? Or an extra pair of socks in case he starts to get hot spots. Even though we had a stroller, our 3 yo last insisted on doing quite a bit of walking. He finally would get in the stroller when he would get tired.

Another thought, what about some Disney Dollars that he can spend on anything that he wants? His money. Free and clear. No strings attached. It amazes me what our kids decide to buy when they have their own money. My 9 yo last year bought pins and pens. My 6 yo bought snow globes and my 3 yo bought plastic Mickey figurines and postcards.

Make sure you leave enough room in his backpack for all the things that he picks up along the way!

I thought of something else! Pennies and quarters for pressed pennies. Use pre 1982 pennies as they press better. We layer ours in an old film canister, two quarters to a penny. Its a great inexpensive souvineer.

You've had a lot of great ideas. I'd recommend a few colored pencils instead of crayons. Depending on when you go, melting crayons could be an issue.

It was very upsetting to my four year old when someone stole his fanny pack out of our stroller at Magic Kingdom. I think he felt violated like we all do when we are robbed. Therefore, I suggest that you make sure to take his bag on the rides and keep it small and light as you will likely be the one who has to hold it for him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter