What kind of dog should I get?

penguinande

Mouseketeer
I won't be ready for several months but, in short, the situation is this:
I'm either going to stay at my current job and move into a medium-sized apartment, or I'm going to start police academy in September and move into a house with a yard. Either way, I won't be getting the dog until I move out. I'd prefer a big dog, one that I can romp around and play fetch with and take jogging, but a big dog may not be feasable in an apartment. I'm considering adopting one from the pound, but even then I would want a good idea of what breed I was looking for. So far, I'm considering the Great Pyranees and the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. I love Weimerarmers and Siberians, but I hear that both are pretty high-maintenance. This will be my first dog, so I want one that is pretty easy to train. I also need a dog that gets along pretty well with other animals. The dog is going to be a companion, not a watchdog. I have no children. Any suggestions?

I think a Golden Retriever is a great dog for a first time owner. Did you know there are rescue groups for each breed? Check it out (I'm sure there are plenty in your area): http://www.ygrr.org/ Best of luck. :wizard:

I love mutts. They just seem so much more healthy and even tempered than purebreds. I've had a husky/lab mix, a lab/pit bull mix, and a poodle/terrier mix. They were all awesome dogs.

Get a Greyhound.
Inside, they'll sleep and lay about just like a cat all day. Bring them outside, adn they walk all day, or run with you if you like.
You can teach them to fetch, but they don't come to it naturally; they just never have been exposed to it.

I wanted a big dog too, but we went to a petstore where a rescue had dogs for adoption and I absolutely fell for a little Jack Russell Terrier mix.

Best decision I ever made - Jack Russells are small enough to be happy indoors, they are extremely smart and one of the easiest breeds to train, and they love to run and play like a big dog (I am a distance runner, and he loves to go on runs with me, and can actually outrun me on those little 6 inch legs!).

gasparilla014.jpg

If you dont have time to train a dog, consider an older dog who is trained. Try petfinder.com. Take your time looking and I am sure you will find one just right for you.

gallaj0 said:
Get a Greyhound.
Inside, they'll sleep and lay about just like a cat all day. Bring them outside, adn they walk all day, or run with you if you like.
You can teach them to fetch, but they don't come to it naturally; they just never have been exposed to it.
I AGREE.........if you like to jog they are naturally talented for that....they are very low maintance as far as hair (they shed little or none) the x racers are used to being handled by many people so are very people friendly, they are very quiet, they are also crate trained! Not only that but you are saving a life! They do have a few special needs so some reading should be done on them and finding a vet that has dealt with them is a good idea. They do like to be warm since they have little body fat. They are very quiet also. Any questions I would be more than happy to help. I cannot say enough good things about the breed! And most that do get them usually end up with another one. You said you wanted a larger dog, they can range from 45-100lbs. I had a female that was 53lbs and she was a very nice size.

I love Golden Retrievers too but I don't like the shedding. As you can see in my sig, I have a Goldendoodle - it's a Golden mixed w/ a standard poodle - so they are big (they can be anywhere from 50 to even 100 lbs) - average is about 65-70.

Little shedding, very trainable and great with people.

Whatever you decide on, I hope that you are able to get a dog from a rescue org., humane society, etc. There are many unloved doggies out there that may otherwise perish without a home.

fanofmickey said:
Whatever you decide on, I hope that you are able to get a dog from a rescue org., humane society, etc. There are many unloved doggies out there that may otherwise perish without a home.
I agree! I have always had rescue dogs and they are the BEST!

They are so happy to have any amount of love and attention and seem to do their best to please you.

My two dogs now are from a rescue from two separate puppy mills. The conditions of these mills were diplorable. The owners should have been hung! ::yes::

Congrats on going into law enforcement and good luck on finding a pet. They really do make coming home so much nicer! :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter