What is Walt Disney World doing right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome CMs
Fixing the Epcot entrance so guests riding the monorail don't have to go through the second round of security
Support for the U.S. military service members and their families in various ways
Adding more (much needed) attractions to the parks
Restaurants are excellent when it comes to ensuring guests with food allergies are safe - above and beyond

The FP system now is more accommodating to guests who park hop yet many DISers don’t know about this info.

Guests don’t have to pre-book 3 FPs...if they only pre-book 1 (or 2 FPs), as soon as they enter the line for FP#1, they can immediately book the remaining ‘initial’ FPs at Park#2 and/or Park#3...including Tier 1 attractions.

From the FP FAQ ADDENDUM STICKY:

When_2 or less FP are booked for Park #1:
If you book fewer than three FP and once you scan the first FP from within the first park, you can at that point make FP selections for a different park, even if you still have a FP remaining in the first park.

This can be especially helpful for Tiered parks – if for example you wish to hit Epcot at rope drop, use only a Tier 1 FP and then still have 2 more FP for another park later in the day.

Additionally, there is no restriction on Tier requirements BETWEEN PARKS during one day. So if you use a Tier 1 at Epcot you can then book a second Tier 1 at HS immediately upon scanning – Also, you can even book your remaining two FP at two different parks if you would like!

NOTE: Splitting FP between parks or booking for another park CANNOT be done until the same day, AFTER you have already scanned your card/MB at the first FP Mickey head to “prove” to the system that you’re in a park.

You cannot book for 2 different parks in advance or even on the same day until you have scanned your first FP (not just entered the park).
I never knew this.

-New rides- but need another park.
-Skyliner if it works well. Low emission, high volume and a ride itself.
-Keeping fast pass free at the moment.Unfortunately, probably not for long.
-Still shining lights here and there in customer service.

Magical Express and Internal Transportation! Warts and all, it is REALLY nice to be able to get off the plane in Orlando and forget about rental cars and how to get around for the length of your stay - and it's FREE! The immersive experience would not be the same without it.

Security and safety while on-property. We tell our high-school aged kids what we are doing and leave it up to them - they can join us for rope-drop or sleep in and catch a later bus, or even go to a different resort, or stay later. No matter what, we know they will be safe. I can't imagine staying anywhere else the size of WDW where this would be true.

I love that counter service at Disney has great food and great variety. So many amusement parks are hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, and pizza and that's about it. Disney is fajitas and salmon and roast chicken and barbecue and so much more.

Cast members are still great overall. I love when we have a chance to connect with them for more than a few seconds, like a server or boat captain or whatever. It's fun to speak with them and hear their stories.

Theming. Plain and simple it is the theming that separates Disney from every other amusement park. There's nothing like strolling down Main Street first thing in the morning or after dark with the facades lit up and the castle in the background. Or wandering through Animal Kingdom with the carvings, impressions in the cement, thatched roofs, and more. It is easy to feel you've been transported to another place or time.

Value. Yes, Disney is expensive but it still represents a huge value for what you pay. For less than the cost of a seat for a Broadway show that lasts 2 hours, I can spend an entire day in one of the parks experiencing all of the attractions, shows, parades, shops, fireworks, and atmosphere. Where else can you be entertained like that all day for under $100? Instead of one show, you can visit Animal Kingdom and see Festival of the Lion King, Finding Nemo: The Musical, and Rivers of Light all for one ticket price, plus all of the other attractions in the park.

The fan community. Disney creates lifelong fans. So many of our friends are people we have met through our shared love of Disney. We frequently meet up with friends when we are visiting the parks, whether they live in the Orlando area or elsewhere in the country or even internationally. There is a common draw that we all feel to that place and being a part of that community makes it even more special and contributes to us coming back over and over.

The shows. We had our first trip to WDW last winter and we originally thought we would skip the shows. They turned out to be so so much fun. We learned a lot at the Hall of Presidents, we thought the Country Bear Jamboree was charming, Mickey's Philharmagic was very fun and cute and the nostalgic factor of the Carousel of Progress was excellent.

Landscaping at the resorts I frequent is well kept.

Quiet Pools at the resorts I frequent also are well kept. Cabanas at the Poly are excellent options.

I can get decent salads at lots of restaurants.

As a food allergy mom, I’m going to mentioned that too! It’s wonderful to travel somewhere and feel safe.

DME is a fantastic service we’ve always had success with it.

Disney does a great job with the variety of resort options, gonna ding them for the price though LOL.

The 4th and beyond FP is great. Restrictive enough to get there so not everyone will be using it, but really awesome for those who can. Addicting too!

I think the merchandise variety has improved, could be better, but I think they’ve really noticed in recent years what fans actually want by way of the small shops and are trying harder to meet that.

Even though some people hate Disney transportation, we’ve always had pretty good luck with it and I think it works like a (mostly) well oiled machine. We haven’t had a car since probably 2005.

Magic Bands aren't getting enough mentions here. The debate about which version (or any version) of FastPass are best often lumps the Magic Bands in but it shouldn't. Both FastPass+ and MaxPass could use Magic Bands as their "media" or ticket. As a room key they are awesome, paying using them is simple and convenient, and not needing my park ticket or paper pass to get on a ride makes so much sense. They are provided as an included part of your stay but also offer upgrades for collectors. As a whole they work well and help Disney make money at the same time, this overlap doesn't often happen. My recent year of trips to Disneyland left me missing the Magic Bands very much.

This is getting plenty of mentions but I'm adding my voice to the chorus, their efforts to accommodate guests with allergies is second to none. There's certainly room for some streamlining and integration but I don't know any other food service provider that does as well as Disney overall in this regard.

FREE resort-wide transportation that doesn't require that you've purchased anything. I seldom use the word "free" if I can use "included" instead but here it's actually true. If you can get to a Disney bus or Monorail, or Skyliner, or Boat you can ride it, you don't have to be a resort or park guest, you don't have to be parked in a lot, you don't have to have a dining reservation, it's just free. There may be flaws in each of those modes of transport or their upkeep but they are better than most municipalities' mass transit in this country.

They are slipping on this last one but I think they're still on the right side of the curve. The amount of experiences, services, features, and benefits included in the base prices of the tickets and resort stays is great. The price of staying at a resort includes outdoor movies, marshmallow roasting, crafts and other activities, great pools, "I'll leave off any adjective" WiFi, and other features. There's no resort fee to get all that while plenty of other lodging options out there claim that's what the resort fee is for and insist you pay it regardless of use. The parks are similar, once you're in you can do a lot without any extra fees. Photopass photographers (where they still exist) will take your photo with your own camera, character meets are included, there's no "premium" rides, and they allow you to bring food (that shouldn't be considered a perk but look elsewhere to see that it is). Only being able to participate or even view the lightsaber building for the price of buying one is a distinct bummer (Olivander's allows a good deal of viewers and doesn't even require the chosen person to purchase), the addition of parking fees for the resorts is lame (I don't drive while I'm there so in theory this saves me money compared to them hiking the hotel rate to get that revenue but it still rubs me the wrong way), there's a few other premium experiences that feel nickle and dime-ish but mostly they're on the right side of the "included in admission" curve I'd say. It'd be great if they could course correct and go back further into this world though.

Diversity and inclusion stand out to me. Disney is somewhere that appeals to people from all over the world and from all walks of life. We love meeting cast members and guests from other states and other countries and sharing our common love of Disney. Also, their accommodations for disabilities and food allergies are outstanding. I realize they're not perfect, but they strive to give everyone a magical experience, despite their limitations. Compared to other companies or vacation destinations, they go above and beyond.
Well said!! I completely agree!

The commitment to theming in their new lands is admirable. Yet, I also wish we could get more than two attractions per land. Disney is doing great on the "fluff" but not so much on the "stuff".

Customer service still seems to be as excellent as always

Park cleanliness and overall maintenance is carried out well. (YMMV)

Disney is advertising its parks well. Good job of corporate synergy.

Magic Kingdom nighttime fireworks/projection shows.

As sad I was to see Wishes turn into HEA - I love HEA!! The new Halloween show was an improvement in my opinion and I'm now excited to see what happens at the Christmas party.

The customization of ones vacation. No vacation is the same. You can add on events, tours, etc. you can stay at so many different places. You can dine at places run by famous chefs. Each trip is so different for me which is why I love coming back again and again.

Three things stand out to me:

1) The quality of room renovations as of late.

2) Theming at Disney is incredible. The amount of detail they put into their parks and resorts is stunning.

3) Disney’s Magical Express.

1. DISNEY SPRINGS.
The entire renovation was a breath of fresh air and we adore the whole area. We don't even shop...just browse, eat, listen to the free entertainment...it's marvelous!

2. Pumping money into renovating the parks.
Epcot has needed this overhaul for a long time. DHS is already a billion times better than it was.

3. THE FOOD.
I may be in the minority but I think Disney gets the food right. The variety, quality. There is something for everyone. Our trips are very food centric. The quick-serve options have grown by leaps and bounds.

4. Adding new resorts.
Riviera, Gran Destino, Reflections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter