What is up with the AWFUL smell?

disney's daughter

DIS Veteran
I have had severe sinus problems for the last year and a half...and was unable to smell...Well...now I can smell...and the "sewer" smells at Magic Kingdom and Epcot were..sometimes overwhelming....:sad1: So ...Just WHERE is that smell coming from and IS it SEWAGE? That can't be healthy for us? It was awful....My sister said she had noticed it a few months back.....

Also...there was still a strong "smoke" smell at Magic Kingdom when I was there June 24th...(from all the fires?) That can't be good for people who have respiratory problems....I had read about it from when other people had written about it on the forum...Well...It was still there on the 24th...::sad2:
:

I personally have no idea what you are talking about. When we were there in April there was nothing like you describe. Anyone?

Don't know about the sewage smell, but there's really nothing Disney can do about the smoke. Unfortunately brush fires happen in Florida. What would you suggest they do, close the parks?

I have family that lives in the Orlando area, and they talk about the sulphur pockets that you sometimes drive through around town. Maybe its sulphur you're smelling?

:confused3 We were there May 8-15th...no smells that I encountered....well...maybe a couple of times....but I just thought my husband had a bad case of Gas!!! :lmao:

This thread stinks......

Sorry. Really had to go there!! :)

I recall in my last visit that there was a hint of sulpher in the air but nothing overpowering. I know that the creative imagineers found ways to 'pump' enticing fragrances into the air on Main Street but I hardly think that rotting eggs or worse was what they had in mind.

Blows in from Epcot.

Its called...

BEVERLY!

;)

We were there mid-June, and noticed no strange smells. We did smell smoke a few times, but nothing major. My DD4 is asthmatic, and had no problems from the smoke.

We were there May 6th through 12th and didn't notice any sewage smells at any of the parks. There was some smoke from fires, but there's really not much Disney can do about that.

The smell has always been there from what I can remember.
It's at the MK and at Epcot but ONLY in certain areas. It's like it's hovering over those areas and you actually walk through the cloud of stink. LOL

Not sure what it is but it does smell like sewage......more than a little gross when you're walking along with a snack and all of a sudden your nose catches a whiff of :eek:

WDW has a large waste management system where trash is sent via a tube system to central processing plants. One of those processing plants is in the MK, near Big Thunder Mountain (We saw it on the KTTK tour)...Perhaps that is one source of the smell at the MK? :confused3

The smell has always been there from what I can remember.
It's at the MK and at Epcot but ONLY in certain areas. It's like it's hovering over those areas and you actually walk through the cloud of stink. LOL

Not sure what it is but it does smell like sewage......more than a little gross when you're walking along with a snack and all of a sudden your nose catches a whiff of :eek:

We were there June 9-18 and noticed this on several occasions

I've always noticed it walking between the Contemporary and the MK. I like the walk because it's a good walk after a nice dinner at Chef Mickey's or the California Grill. But when you hit that one spot the smell is pretty bad.

if you are only smelling it in specific areas, it is just dumpsters. magic kingdom is the only place with the underground system but there are a couple of them backstge that do smell quite badly. the other places, it is green trash compacting dumpsters. they can only move them so far away from guests before it would be a hassle for cast members to get to them. most of the time disney can cover up the smell with a food cart, etc but in the really hot and humid days, it can get quite bad. also, trashcans that don't get used as often, don't get emptied as often (they do at least twice a day, but the right food in the right humidity can smell within an hour).

to me, the smell is heartwarming... haha. i was a custodial CM last year and i kinda miss it!

I just got back and noticed no smells. Well, no sewage or garbage smells. Some people smelled of stinky B.O., but they're out in the hot, humid Florida weather - can't help that.

I was also there end of May and noticed no smells.

I've always read about these foul odors and have never caught a whiff. Starting to feel left out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter