What is the "irresistible" allure of Birthday FP's?

Can someone explain in detail how these b-day FP work as compared to a regular FP? We will be there on my son's b-day(Sat Aug 1), 7 people in our party.

I was gonna give him the GC, but now I'm curious how these passes might work to our advantage.

I was typing that war and peace deal when you asked this. It does have info on how many etc but not directly to your question.

You need to pick a park (only 1 park) and arrive before 10AM (to be safe) with everyone. Some have said that 6 "cards" is the max, but we got all 12 in our party-it may depend on the season. Pretty sure you will get 7. Then you can take the cards up to the FP Machine you want, put in as many as you want for that ride, and it will deduct as you use them. So you need to keep reading throughout the year to see if anything changes, like which rides are available and how many etc. If you have the current 7 cards with 8 FP's each, you can use 4 from one group of attractions, and 4 from the other. At AK we had EE/Safari in one group and Dino/Bugs in the other. It was busy so it was great for EE/Saf, and good for Dino, not necessary for Bugs really. But you may think its worth it just for say 3 at EE and 1 at Safari. Or if you choose DHS, 2 at TSM and 2 at RNR (TOT was in that group but only pick 2), the other was Mermaid and Star tours-kind of crummy. Or 2 at Soarin and 2 at TT etc.

I could see a group with 2 kids and say 4 older adults that dont go on anything, and give all 48 passes to the 2 kids. Thats 12 each for TSM if they want.

WDWXMAS2008381.jpg

WDWXMAS2008380.jpg

WDWXMAS2008378.jpg

Also, when all daily FP's have been dispensed, they keep one machine open all day for the B-day FP only. Every time we went up and used it-a big crowd would flock over and want to try thier park ticket keys. The folks working the machine just hated explaining that-I could tell.

Can someone explain in detail how these b-day FP work as compared to a regular FP? We will be there on my son's b-day(Sat Aug 1), 7 people in our party.

I was gonna give him the GC, but now I'm curious how these passes might work to our advantage.

One other thing. Your park keys still work in the FP machines as well-thats unaffected. So you can grab 7 regular FP's at say TOT for later, if you want TSM and RNR as your B-day choices. By the time those are done, TOT FP would be ready. Then get 7 more for later-or go home and throw up.

I'll be there in June and I'm leaning toward the FP. It will be our 2nd day at EP so if we get lucky the first day and get on Soarin, Test Track, and Mission Space with little or no wait I'll take the gift card instead. But mostly likely it will be crowded and I'd rather have the time than the money. We are NOT rope drop people. :)

What are the list of rides at each park and how do you prove your party size?

Someone has a list, I only have the DHS above. You simply need all of your party to be at the cust service window. We had more than one room so I dont remember them even asking why that was. But I would have everyone bring their room key and park pass to be safe. And of course your pre-registered birthday pass and date of birth proof.

What are the list of rides at each park and how do you prove your party size?

Group A: splash, space, BTMR, peter pan, pooh
Group B: Stitch, philarmagic, jungle cruise, buzz

Each person needs to be present and have a valid ticket, all eight in our party were at the window and handed the CM their ticket to recieve the FP

And I get that, its just that in a trip that likely will cost $2000-$3000, $40 ain't gonna save the mortgage.

------------------------------------
or you could ride TSM 6 times in a row,

Disney offers (basically) $75 in "cash"
(OK, not "cash" but it spends like cash at a Disney shop... and there's a lot of 'em)

Please send your explanation of this to me scribbled on the back of the
half-dozen FastPasses that you collected but never used on your last Disney trip. ;)

After re-reading your original post Robo, it seems you are kind of answering the question from both sides. Not a bad thing at all-great discussion actually. You point out how $40 is pretty useless, and I say so is $75. So why not take the FP? If you indeed know somebody that will jump through hoops to save $3, then chances are they will take the gift. But why not save $3, and get 48 fast passes? I mean you save thousands of dollars and stay at Allstars instead of BC, but does everybody do that? Those guests chose quality and convenience over money...and not just $3, thousands. The B-day FP is totally about quality and convenience. Depending on your situation, you can ride 6 times in a row with no wait. Actually everyone in the party can ride at least 4 times in a row (with the current 8 attractions), of the longest wait attraction possible. 6 if you have a couple in the party that dont care for rides. As for old FP's laying around. Ours are always because it was for later that day/night and we wanted to go back and swim/rest, then whimped out or hit a different park. If they had been instantaneous as these are-it would have never happened. We would have went on the ride right then.

When this offer first came out, people were reporting that they could choose only 2 fastpasses from the first list and 2 from the second, for a total of 4. I'm not sure if it has been permanently changed to 8 fastpasses, or if it's just the season. I can understand how the BFP would be more justifiable if it is for 8 rides. I still think I'll take the $$$, though.

When this offer first came out, people were reporting that they could choose only 2 fastpasses from the first list and 2 from the second, for a total of 4. I'm not sure if it has been permanently changed to 8 fastpasses, or if it's just the season. I can understand how the BFP would be more justifiable if it is for 8 rides. I still think I'll take the $$$, though.

Yea ours was 4 total for each person like you said but a very busy week. That may be why, or maybe fewer guests use it than they thought-it doesn't cost them anything to hand out a FP (or 8)-it does for a gift card.

Also remember you are not limited to "2 choices" of the "good rides" really. For example, if you visit DHS with a group of 6. Using the current offering of 8, You could take 3 cards and select 12 TSM passes-meaning 2 rides each, then take the other 3 cards and select 6 RNR and 6 TOT. That way your 4 "good rides" would be TSM twice, and RNR and TOT 1 each.

Same with MK. Take 3 cards and pick 2 Spalsh (6), and 2 Space (6) on each. Then with the other 3 pick 2 Space (6) and 2 Thunder (6). Gives you each 2 Space and 1 each of Splash and Thunder.

Something for everyone. I'm there so much I don't need the ticket and I also don't need special fastpasses to go on a couple of rides I have been on a bazillion times. Fortunately they will give me cash.

Something for everyone. I'm there so much I don't need the ticket and I also don't need special fastpasses to go on a couple of rides I have been on a bazillion times. Fortunately they will give me cash.

Exactly. Very clear why you would choose the gift. Also very clear why others would choose the FP. :wizard:

There were reports prior to me going down about the 8 FP total. I only got 4 though. Might be which park it is too :confused3

If it helps, my birthday was Saturday 2/28 and I was at Epcot. (Yes, this was ESPN weekend!)

I work in that area, and the Birthday FP's are considerably more popular when it's a busy and crowded day...getting more and more popular now that spring break is upon us! For myself, if given the chance (but I'm not eligible), I would probably choose the FP's because I really don't need any merchandise and it wouldn't feel special to me, but having the FP's definitely would.

And yes, children are often much more likely to want the FP's over the Gift Card if given the choice (and nothing bugs me more than when I see a parent telling a child what he or she is going to choose for their birthday option no matter what the child prefers :rolleyes1 ).

One other thing. Your park keys still work in the FP machines as well-thats unaffected. So you can grab 7 regular FP's at say TOT for later, if you want TSM and RNR as your B-day choices. By the time those are done, TOT FP would be ready. Then get 7 more for later-or go home and throw up.

thanks for those replys, that does help a lot!! At first I was leaning toward the gift card, but I think now I'm leaning the other way.

Much appreciated!

thanks for those replys, that does help a lot!! At first I was leaning toward the gift card, but I think now I'm leaning the other way.

Much appreciated!

Your welcome. Just keep checking the boards until you go to WDW-you can decide that day which way to go.

And yes, children are often much more likely to want the FP's over the Gift Card if given the choice (and nothing bugs me more than when I see a parent telling a child what he or she is going to choose for their birthday option no matter what the child prefers :rolleyes1 ).

Yep. Our group of 12 was much older kids-most were 21. On the B-day there was no way the one person with the B-day was going to take the "gift card" for themselves, when they could choose to make everybodys day special by sharing 48 FP's. Way more meaningful and they will talk about it forever.

Great thread...

I clicked on this thread assuming that it would confirm that we would just get a gift card for the kids to share. It's my oldest son's birthday and he is choosing the park for the day (DHS) and where to eat. As it will be Star Wars Weekend, we thought it would be nice to let each of our three boys get $25 of SWW merchandise each (i.e. a t-shirt, pin, etc.).

After reading this, we might choose the birthday fastpasses instead. If I understand correctly, all 5 of us would get a birthday FP worth 4 or 8 rides each. That could mean 4 times on Toy Story Mania. We visited DL last year and had to wait nearly an hour for TSM as they don't have FP for it at DL. I think the kids would love that instead. They will already have some spending money for the trip and they can decide together if they'd rather have some extra for some SWW merchandise or get the extra FPs.

We will decide as a family what to do ahead of time. Although it's our sons' birthday, we moved our trip a few days to incorporate his birthday into the trip. We let him know that his brothers would share in his birthday celebration as we can't visit on their birthdays as they are when school is in session.

Great thread...

I clicked on this thread assuming that it would confirm that we would just get a gift card for the kids to share. It's my oldest son's birthday and he is choosing the park for the day (DHS) and where to eat. As it will be Star Wars Weekend, we thought it would be nice to let each of our three boys get $25 of SWW merchandise each (i.e. a t-shirt, pin, etc.).

After reading this, we might choose the birthday fastpasses instead. If I understand correctly, all 5 of us would get a birthday FP worth 4 or 8 rides each. That could mean 4 times on Toy Story Mania. We visited DL last year and had to wait nearly an hour for TSM as they don't have FP for it at DL. I think the kids would love that instead. They will already have some spending money for the trip and they can decide together if they'd rather have some extra for some SWW merchandise or get the extra FPs.

We will decide as a family what to do ahead of time. Although it's our sons' birthday, we moved our trip a few days to incorporate his birthday into the trip. We let him know that his brothers would share in his birthday celebration as we can't visit on their birthdays as they are when school is in session.

Sounds like you have it correct to me. For us it was 4 total each (not 8), so it would be 2 each on TSM, but sounds like it has gone to 8 which should be 4 ea on TSM-unless someone can confirm otherwise. It is for positive all 5 of your group though (up to 6 for sure, and most have reported more, like our 12). And yes TSM will most likely be gone by noon and over an hour wait. So yes, you may be looking at 20 instant TSM passes for your group-meaning you could give them all to the kids, or go once for M&D and 6 each for the 3 kids, and able to use regular FP as well. We were told to be sure to get there before 11AM, so keep that in mind.

The good thing is you can pre-register, and decide right there in line which way you want to go. If they change the plan and it sounds worse-take the gift.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter