What is the best character breakfast for a 6yr old boy?

Joseph Andrew Hunt

Drew's Dad Joe
My wife and I are super excited to take our son to Disney World for the first time next year. We are planning on doing a character breakfast during our stay but would like some input. What is the best character breakfast that you have been to at Disney World in terms of food and characters?

Although we haven't done breakfast there, we have had lunch at Tusker House. I highly recommend.

We like to do a farewell breakfast at one of the resorts on our departure morning. Our kids enjoyed both Chef Mickey (Contemporary) and 'Ohana Best Friends Breakfast (Polynesian).

We liked the Crystal Palace especially when the kids were younger. All the Pooh characters are there. The food is really good.

Hello Joseph,
A good restaurant you can try that your son might enjoy for character breakfasts is the Soundstage Restaurant in Disney's Hollywood Studios and you can get your son photos with some characters because when I went to Disney World back in 1997 I met Aladdin Genie Meeko Quasimodo and Esmeralda but I don't know if the characters have changed but the Soundstage Restaurant has great breakfast and is well worth the money
Hope you have a great vacation Joseph

Hello Joseph,
A good restaurant you can try that your son might enjoy for character breakfasts is the Soundstage Restaurant in Disney's Hollywood Studios and you can get your son photos with some characters because when I went to Disney World back in 1997 I met Aladdin Genie Meeko Quasimodo and Esmeralda but I don't know if the characters have changed but the Soundstage Restaurant has great breakfast and is well worth the money
Hope you have a great vacation Joseph
Soundstage closed in 1998.

My best character meal ever was in Tusker house. We were the last shift for lunch, the restaurant was very empty and the characters were having so much fun with each other and the guests.

I would see if there are characters you think your son might be interested in and go from there.

Garden Grill Breakfast is my personal fave. Farmer Mickey, Pluto and Chip n Dale. The setting is low key. When we went in pre-covid times, the characters would usually make a couple loops around the restaurant.

It's family style so the menu is smaller than the buffets, but it's nice to not have to get up for more food. (the downside is the restrooms are located OUTSIDE of the restaurant near soarin').

Just be aware that currently character meals are very different from the past. You say "next year" so hopefully more normal - but until more info comes out I would plan towards the same offerings as now, which are limited venues/characters with a modified experience. Getting hopes up to see Safari Donald at Tusker House could lead to disappointment if it doesn't return before your trip.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/dine/#drawer-card-themeParkDining

Like others have already posted, Tusker House and Garden Grill would be great. Also our young grandchildren enjoyed Chef Mickey's. Lots of characters at all of these restaurants::MickeyMo

Last edited:
Depending on the character interactions: Tusker House is GREAT if under normal circumstances. Garden Grill is doing a pretty good job with current restrictions.

Garden grill is my favorite character breakfast meal. The character interaction is good, the food was good (love the cinnamon roll) and it’s a family style meal so no having to struggle with kids at a buffet (not that disney is doing any buffets right now...and isn’t doing breakfast at garden grill right now either)

I have no idea what is open right now with Covid or when character meals will return to normal. But pre-Covid, my kids loved the character breakfast at the Polynesian. You can meet Mickey, Lilo and Stitch. Chef Mickeys is fun for the classic characters and my kids love seeing the monorail go through the hotel.

We are also big fans of Garden Grill character meals. We haven't been during all the restrictions, but pre-covid it is one of the best places to meet with the characters. The restaurant is small so the interactions are longer, and you usually get multiple chances to see them.

IMO character meals are not worth the premium right now since characters do not visit your table and you can only see them from a distance. No buffets also limits the food selection. Hopefully by next year things will be back to normal but last year I would have said we'd be back to normal a year later and the parks now are hardly any different than when they reopened last summer. Vaccines are just about readily available to everyone yet no major changes to protocol regarding distancing or masking in public are on the horizon.

Having said all that, my favorite character meals under normal circumstances are Tusker House and Cape May Cafe. Neither of those are currently open.

We are also big fans of Garden Grill character meals. We haven't been during all the restrictions, but pre-covid it is one of the best places to meet with the characters. The restaurant is small so the interactions are longer, and you usually get multiple chances to see them.

Garden Grill was always our fave--- (especially if one of my kids was celebrating a birthday !!)
However, last time we went there... (pre-covid).. wow, the sticker shock !!!

Garden Grill was always our fave--- (especially if one of my kids was celebrating a birthday !!)
However, last time we went there... (pre-covid).. wow, the sticker shock !!!

My Husband and I like to joke that there are Disney prices, then there are "rest of the world" prices. Let Chuck E Cheese try to charge 300$ dollars for "ok" food and the chance to meet a guy in a mouse suit. It will never happen. At Disney though, it's hardly given a second thought.

IMO character meals are not worth the premium right now since characters do not visit your table and you can only see them from a distance. No buffets also limits the food selection. Hopefully by next year things will be back to normal but last year I would have said we'd be back to normal a year later and the parks now are hardly any different than when they reopened last summer. Vaccines are just about readily available to everyone yet no major changes to protocol regarding distancing or masking in public are on the horizon.

Having said all that, my favorite character meals under normal circumstances are Tusker House and Cape May Cafe. Neither of those are currently open.
For us a character breakfast was perfect in the modified version as DD age 5 is not a fan of in your face characters. Lots of tears at these pricey meals! So our breakfast at Topolino’s this year was perfect. Great food and we still had lots of interaction with the characters.

For a first timer I would highly encourage a Fab Five character meal: Tusker House, Cape May Cafe, Chef Mickey’s, Topolino’s, ‘Ohana, Ravello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter