What is the appeal of the dessert parties?

The appeal for us is that this is our first (and likely only) trip so we are splurging for the Frozen Dessert Party in Epcot. I don’t plan on watching any of the other shows at the other parks, I don’t need to worry about a FEA FP, and it sounds lovely to sit and relax at a table with desserts to end our evening. There are 5 of us and it is definitely a splurge, but I honestly can’t see us bothering to watch them at all without a party.

The only dessert party we have done is at HS .We are Star Wars fans and the dessert party was a treat for us. We have only done it once but it was worth it to see the storm trooper interaction with our 16 yr old ds. Food was good plenty of choices alcoholic drinks weren't bad either!!:drinking: The viewing spot was great not packed plenty of space. It is not something we would do every visit but it was fun and less stress finding a viewing spot.

So all the other dessert parties have no chairs or tables?

We did have tables at ROL - but that was because of the rain. I understand that there are not really a lot in the regular spot.

When I did the Garden viewing of HEA, you sat at a table for the dessert part, but not for the show viewing.

I have not done Epcot's and have less than zero desire for the one at the Studios. (I honestly pretend like the Studios don't even exist, but that's just me.)

HEA party during crowded times for the spot and the peace. Desserts are a bonus.

We will do the JBJB party again if it’s offered next year. We enjoyed the food and atmosphere and the fun festive feel.

We like them for the desserts and outside of MK, the adult beverages. And a seated place to enjoy them and the fireworks is a bonus

But, if you don't see the appeal then it won't really matter how much I tell you I enjoy them. You don't. And as you said that's ok.
We are regular visitors of WDW. Travel down and stay a week to 10 days usually twice a year and we have never done a dessert party. I guess I just can't get over the price tag. Depending on which one it's $90+ a person for an hour of finger desserts and a good spot to watch a 15 minute fireworks show. I'm not trying to put it down for those of you who love them...different strokes for different folks...I just don't get the appeal. For those of you who love them and do them.....what is the appeal for you? Is there something else included that I don't know about?
So all the other dessert parties have no chairs or tables?
They do have seats

We did HEA and JBJB last November and LOVED both of them. The appeals were very different. JBJB was actually a very good party--I think I would consider doing it even if there weren't fireworks. The food was great (both sweet and savory), the setting was actually sort of elegant. They had about five or six really lovely holiday themed cocktails and a bar staff that was really pleasant and efficient and frankly I think if we went to a bar somewhere in Disney and ordered what we had there we'd already be at the ticket price. The M&G was awesome (Santa Goofy) with no waiting--they came and got us at our table when it was our turn. Seriously, even our tablemates turned out to be fascinating. At the end they led us over to our viewing area for the show and it was great. Anywhere else the party itself would have been a lovely evening out, at Disney World it was one of the 28 things we did that day but it still felt like this lovely little evening out in the middle of it all. I thought it was well worth the money... although next time I might consider doing a different one just because it would be cool to see a variety.

HEA was an entirely different matter. I suspect we will do the HEA one every time we go to WDW for the foreseeable future. We actually tried to do HEA earlier in the trip. We were there during party season so we only had a couple of options for HEA. We winged it for the first one and booked the party for the second which was also our last evening there. For the first one we showed up about 45 minutes early and ended up sandwiched in along the side three-fourths of the way down main street. The throng of people was just oppressive and frankly we really couldn't see much--and it was just depressing. We'd spent all that money to fly here and book a nice hotel and buy tickets to have this experience we'd never had before, that I at least had sort of dreamed about and it just wasn't happening. We ended up slowly making our way out of the melee shortly before the fireworks actually started. We actually wasted almost an hour for nothing. On the other hand, on our last day, it was Thanksgiving week. It was a 10 that night at MK. We made our way to the party and sat in a comfortable, uncrowded setting for a while and had cheese and fruit and little desserts with lemonade and tea. Was it a little like what a ten year old girl would imagine as the best tea party ever? Yeah. But it was pleasant enough and we actually quite enjoyed it, but with this one it's really about the fireworks viewing. They led us out to the area in the Plaza and we literally laid there and waited for the fireworks to start. They had given us little boxes to take desserts out with so the tea party continued, and when the fireworks started we sat up, no need to stand, no one that close because well we'd been lying down and just watched--and it was like we were the only people in the world, sharing this moment. We could see everything and it was just perfect and beautiful. We're two grown men and, yeah, we teared up a little. It was just this perfect moment that I had always wanted without even knowing what it was, and frankly it was one of the moments that I had flown across the country for and booked a hotel for a week and bought the tickets for. And on an insanely busy night we still go to have it. Frankly for me it's about respecting the money I've already paid for this experience and making sure I get what I came for. No regrets at all...

You guys are making me want to do the JBJB one.

My family has never done a party. But we do not travel to Disney yearly (I haven’t been in 13 years, my parents in 7). From what I have read it has changed a lot. The new fireworks show at MK was on our must do, important list. And we want to enjoy it without the hassle, crowds, or wait time.

It helps that my DD will be under 3, but with the huge cost of a Dusney trip, the added cost of a dessert party is a drop in the bucket.

I do think you have to prioritize based on your family. My dad loves the choreographed fireworks shows, so it’s a must do.

We did HEA and Star Wars on our last trip. Both were a huge splurge. DH and DS are Star award fans, so that one was a special treat for them. The other we did because Main Street gets so crowded. DS, who is on the spectrum, loves fireworks but can get overwhelmed by the crowds and wait. The party let us see the show with greater success. We didn’t like the lack of savory food at HEA nor the expectation to sit behind people standing in the hub, so we probably will look for other options for viewing HEA in the future, but we liked the dessert patties enough that I’m frantically searching for an Illuminations reservation for our upcoming trip. For us, at least the parties are worth a try.

For me the appeal is not having to battle the crowds. I've done enough of that on past trips and I'm done so I'm happy to pay for a more relaxed experience watching parades/shows/fireworks. I love dessert and dining packages. That said, it's usually only 2 or 3 of us (my older kids and DH don't come on the trips so much anymore, just my youngest DD) so the expense isn't as huge as if we had our entire family of 6.
Yes, this is exactly why we've done those same types of events.
I wanted to sign up for the Galactic Dessert Spectacular but upgraded to CL at BWI and now see no reason to. We can go to fireworks dessert party there every night and with 5 of us, skipping a party easily covers one or even two nights of the cost to upgrade to CL. Of course, we have to watch Illuminations every night, but hey....:hyper:

Last edited:
I've always thought the same way as you. For me they seemed like paying for something we could get for free because we've never really minded grabbing a spot on early or being surrounded by a lot of other people. But we'll be trying out the HEA after party on our next trip. The appeal for me this time is 1) I wanted to do something special that we'd never done before 2) This is our first time seeing HEA and I'd really like the full experience which means the viewing spots are more limited 3) Even the worst, most sugar-bomby desserts are good enough to eat for us 4) This is likely going to be the only time we do a dessert party like this.

We are regular visitors of WDW. Travel down and stay a week to 10 days usually twice a year and we have never done a dessert party. I guess I just can't get over the price tag. Depending on which one it's $90+ a person for an hour of finger desserts and a good spot to watch a 15 minute fireworks show. I'm not trying to put it down for those of you who love them...different strokes for different folks...I just don't get the appeal. For those of you who love them and do them.....what is the appeal for you? Is there something else included that I don't know about?

I completely get what you’re saying. I too balk at the price for what is being offered.

And yet.... after months of telling myself it was overpriced, I went ahead and booked the JBJB dessert party for our upcoming visit.
I have to wonder if perhaps you are a little bit tempted to book a party also - hence the question.

I wanted to splash out on a nice experience that would give us all the fun of WDW without the crowds and chaos.
Our original plan had been to do MVMCP, but the reports of increasing party crowds and the expensive week before Xmas prices were putting me off. I realised that for about the same price as a night at MVMCP with a QS meal, I could do the JBJB dessert party on our HS night and Trails End buffet and a sleigh ride at Fort Wilderness on the night we would have done the Xmas party.
This second, escape-the-crowds, option appealed more and hence the cost of those super expensive desserts was justified. Time will tell if I made the right decision, but right now I’m feeling good about it.

By the way, if you can consider the dessert party your dinner (which we will) and also consider that taxes, tips and drinks are included, it’s not quite as scary as you first think. Especially when comparing it with the almost as scary costs of most WDW table service restaurants.

Last edited:
For me, the appeal is not having to stake out a spot for whichever park's nightshow, and getting a great view. Relaxing in chairs prior is also a plus. I enjoy the desserts, but that's never the draw. Sometimes it's a bonus, like riding "Frozen Ever After" without burning a first tier Fast pass or waiting an hour. Sometimes it's a combination of things. For Jingle Bell Jingle Bam, I like the idea of eats, preshow relaxation, great viewing with no wait, AND a character meet up.

We attended the WoC dessert party at DL and loved it. WELL worth it, considering it was a seat and goodies, in a sea of standing-room only.
I'm so sad looking for one this trip. Are there NONE which offer sparkling wine anymore?? It's a bunch of $$, but worse when you don't drink what they offer...

I guess for us the fireworks are nice but just can't get over the price. For a family of five like us were looking at over $400 for some desserts and a nice view of the fireworks. I guess its just not worth for me

I'm with you... There are 4 of us and I can find a lot of other ways to spend that money and still see the fireworks shows. The only dessert party I will splurge for is NYE at MK. I must say though, huge crowds don't bother me and I have no problem standing with the masses for an 18 minute show.

The best seat I have ever had for a fireworks show at WDW was on BTMRR at midnight on December 30th! No desserts but it was amazing and cost nothing other than park entry.

You have a seat in a chair at a table.

It is exactly the same food offerings as the Garden Viewing one.

You may have a seat at a table but that doesn't stop rude people from standing at the rails in front when the show starts. At least at our garden seating no one stood so all could see.

We did the Garden viewing in September, it was nice but not good enough for us to do it again.

You may have a seat at a table but that doesn't stop rude people from standing at the rails in front when the show starts. At least at our garden seating no one stood so all could see.
For me I think like George Costanza when he talks about parking....why pay for it when if I try, I may get it for free..HAHAHAHA

Ill add that we may do a desert party elswhere but not in MK again,
And even if we try one say at epcot, can't picture us doing it more than once.
Everything is worth at least once for us to do. Then move on

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter