What is going on Feb. 8-13th?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by connorlevismom, Jan 8, 2019.

1. connorlevismom

connorlevismom DIS Veteran

I am trying to find available rooms and only Deluxe seems to be available. Is there an event going on that I am unaware of?

2. Hopefully

Hopefully DIS Veteran

It is very late to be looking

_19disnA likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. connorlevismom

I know - my husband just got invited to a conference in the area and I thought I would tag along and take in some Disney.

5. focusondisney

focusondisney DIS Veteran

There is a national cheerleader competition that weekend. Not sure what else. But there are posts about various weeks that have not much availability. I think since that is only a month away, there just isn’t much left to choose from. Those dates have been discounted for a few months too, so rooms are pretty well booked. The way things have been at WDW lately, you pretty much have to book early for a greater selection.

_19disnA likes this.
  6. SarahC97

SarahC97 DIS Veteran

Have you tried looking through a third party site such as Priceline or Hotwire? I booked through Orbitz for that week at Pop Century, got a decent deal.

firefly_ris likes this.
  7. winnieofpooh

winnieofpooh Mouseketeer

As @focusondisney mentioned, there's a high school cheerleading competition that weekend. The athletes will stay at the value resorts, maybe some at CSR as well. It's also a bit late in the game so that contributes as well.

8. WEDWDW

WEDWDW DIS Veteran

As well as February being a HUGE month for Argentina 15s.:)

9. SarahC97

SarahC97 DIS Veteran

I'm staying at Pop the 13th to the 15th. I booked preferred -- do you think I'll have a problem with cheerleader's or 15s in preferred? I'm scarred from an experience last July with large teen tour groups keeping me up until 3 am.

10. supitscarrie

supitscarrie Mouseketeer

I have no experience with the 15's but I was at Pop during the Pop Warner week in December. I mostly just ran into the groups in the food court during breakfast - didn't really have much of an issue with them otherwise. I think the majority of these groups stay at the All Stars rather than at Pop Century. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

11. vintagemomma

vintagemomma Earning My Ears

Yes it's the National High School Cheerleading Championships, and Pop is one of the hotels the girls will be at. I am a coach coming with a Senior Rec team (grades 6-8) and we will be at Pop. If you see any girls in MJT gear acting up let me know so they can be dealt with! I requested Pop because All Star Sports is mayhem this weekend, they practice all hours on the fake field there. This is our first year so I have no idea what to totally expect. I have gone with a group for Dance the World previously and that was fine, but the shear number of cheerleaders who attend NHSCC scares me I won't lie. I already plan on taking the walk over to AoA for most of my food court meals.

hereforthechurros and iivye like this.
  12. kadiem

kadiem Earning My Ears

Hi if you don't mind me asking, vintagemomma, which weekend is the cheer comp? Is it the 8-10 or 15-17?

13. vintagemomma

8-10

14. WEDWDW

WEDWDW DIS Veteran

Definitely!:)

Mickey Mouse Field is a sight to se during any Cheer competition(College,High School,Cheerleading Worlds,Summit,etc.)!:)

It is always fun to see the looks on the faces of All-Star Sports Guests(especially from other Countries) who have no idea what has "invaded" their Resort!lol:)

[​IMG]

15. SarahC97

SarahC97 DIS Veteran

Thanks! Can I ask what category of room the groups have booked?

16. SarahC97

SarahC97 DIS Veteran

Also, I'm wondering if the cheerleaders stick around for the week after the competition. I won't be arriving until the 13th, so I wonder if this is really going to be a big issue for me.

17. vintagemomma

Here's the travel pack so you guys can see where they could be and when.

https://www.varsity.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/19_uca_championships_nhscc_bidpacket.pdf

Varsity isn't real forthcoming on the info front, which kills this planner. We don't get room type or tickets etc until we get there. So no booking fastpasses until arrival. We don't even have our resv. number so no booking dining in advance either.

SarahC97 likes this.
  18. vintagemomma

It's prob mixed, HS band is there the week after so a few parents are just staying straight through, but most leave Mon or Tues. I am planning on leaving Weds.

19. connorlevismom

Maybe I don't want to stay on-site, if it is going to be this busy.......

20. WEDWDW

WEDWDW DIS Veteran

And then Twirl Mania is February 15-18 with POP being one of their Resorts.:)

21. kadiem

kadiem Earning My Ears

Is the HS Band a large competition or just your local band? Sorry I am only going to be there for 2 days the 13th and 14th and I am really hoping it is not crazy busy.