What if we get sick at Disney?

DISfirstTimer

Mouseketeer
The flu is currently running rampant at my children's school and my son has started with a nasty cough. I'm fearing us getting sick while at Disney. We leave in 3 days! What do you we do if we get sick? Is there an urgent care facility on site?

You do the same things you would do at home...take care of yourselves. I don't think there's a true "urgent care" facility actually on site, there are first aid places. However, there are a plethora of them just off property. Don't worry over it, a cough doesn't necessarily mean the flu. Take normal precautions like washing your hands, etc...and then take things as they come.

There’s not an urgent care on site. But, I think you’ll know by the time you leave whether or not your son has the flu. If he has the flu, I’m guessing you’ll be postponing your trip anyway.

Oh yes, if we are sick at home that is one thing. My concerns is if we leave healthy and become sick while there. I did speak with my pediatrician today and she assured me she'd be available to me all week and we could trouble shoot things over the phone should they get sick. I guess I'm just stressed about how much time and money we've spent so you start to think what could ruin it!

Oh yes, if we are sick at home that is one thing. My concerns is if we leave healthy and become sick while there. I did speak with my pediatrician today and she assured me she'd be available to me all week and we could trouble shoot things over the phone should they get sick. I guess I'm just stressed about how much time and money we've spent so you start to think what could ruin it!
We got sick during one of our trips. We were wiped out for two days and had to just rest and recoup in our room (stomach bug). But same--our family doctor took our calls and advised us on what to do. He also mentioned being able to send a prescription into the nearest CVS, but we didn't need it. Thankfully, we we're well enough to continue our vacation on day 3.

Not at all trying to be rude, because I get the idea of what you're saying, but my feeling is "So?" If you get sick, then you make due with it and deal the best you can. Worrying about it won't change the outcome, only stress you out. Remember, you're going to central Florida, not the middle of the African jungle. There are medical providers everywhere. We've dealt with stomach bugs, ear infections, sinus infections and strep throat over the course of our trips. Yeah, it stinks for a bit, but you make the best of it.

You're right. I had myself all worked up this morning when I wrote this post. I've completed everything on my Disney do list so I think this idle time now has me planning for the what ifs! I need find something else to occupy me until the trip. What on earth will I do with all my free time when I get home, lol!

A few suggestions when traveling during Flu/Cold season

I Pack

1. First Aid quick reference card--all your medical info (health card # Dr. # Allergies, Health issues)
Emergency contact#

2. Digital thermometer.

3.Oral rehydration packs

4. Decongestatnts

5. Antidiarrheal medications

6. Cough drops

7. Medicine for fever/pain (acetaminophen/ibuprofen)

8. Disinfecting hand wipes/Purell hand sanitizer.

9. Quick reference card of Urgent care facilities in area traveling.

https://www.yelp.ca/search?cflt=urgent_care&find_loc=Disney+World,+Orlando,+FL

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/first-aid/

https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...alt-disney-world-parks-seen-needed-son-84943/

10. Remember Murphy's Law.

Have a great Holiday
Hugs Mel

My DS got sick in WDW when he was 3. I called Doctors on Call and a Dr. came directly to our resort room. His prescription was even delivered to the resort. There are also urgent care facilities nearby and accessible by car or taxi. You'll be fine. It's Florida. They have doctors and medical facilities there.

My DS got sick in WDW when he was 3. I called Doctors on Call and a Dr. came directly to our resort room. His prescription was even delivered to the resort. There are also urgent care facilities nearby and accessible by car or taxi. You'll be fine. It's Florida. They have doctors and medical facilities there.
We have used Doctors on Call a couple of times and it was super convenient. Not to mention, we were able to avoid the urgent care centres which was an added bonus as that is the last place you want to be during cold and flu season :).

There is an urgent care center on Vineland just outside the Hotel Plaza boulevard intersection. If you need assistance go to the front desk and let them know. I don't know if they still do it, but in the past they provided transportation to the center. I was staying there when I was not feeling well. I ended up having my appendix out at 10pm that night at a nearby hospital. Disney has a history of stepping up to help when someone needs it.

Another first timer here! Getting sick at Disney is my worst fear but other than doing everything possible to stay healthy (wash hands, hand sanitizer, eat well, vitamins, probiotics, etc etc etc) there are just some things we won't have control over. I have had to come up with a plan in this case so at least if the worst happens I am prepared. So our plan is that if someone gets sick while there we take alternating turns in the parks. DH and I never get sick so if someone is going to fall ill it's gonna be the kids. So in that case I would go to the park one day with my 1 kid while DH stays behind with the sick one and we would alternate the next day. It's not an ideal situation but beats flying home and everyone missing out! Not sure where you are located but as a Canadian I have also made sure we have adequate travel health insurance should we need to see a doctor there. And the plan if someone gets sick BEFORE we leave is that we all stay home and postpone :( Breaks my heart to even WRITE that, lol but there are worst things in life, right?

I hope your DS is doing fine and that you are having a fantastic trip! Let us know how things turned out!

I also used the doctors on call when my daughter had an ear infection and it was super convenient we got the prescription quickly and were on our way to the parks.

If the kids are old enough, why don't you bring a few doses of Tamiflu with you (MD will have to prescribe for you).

Also, like someone mentioned above, bring plenty OTC flu/cold medicine and just wash your hands everywhere you go.

Good Luck getting a few doses of Tamiflu for convenience. There is currently a shortage. My three year old got the flu this week, and the children's urgent care would not prescribe Tamiflu. The current recommendation is that if you are between 3-65 with no other medical issues, they will not prescribe Tamiflu. They tell you to rest, drink fluids, and take Tylenol and Motrin. I called her pediatrician who confirmed this as well. Typically, when I call the pediatrician they tell me to bring my kids in. This time after describing her symptoms, the nurse told me there is nothing they can do and to just continue with rest and fluids and OTC meds.

Good Luck getting a few doses of Tamiflu for convenience. There is currently a shortage. My three year old got the flu this week, and the children's urgent care would not prescribe Tamiflu. The current recommendation is that if you are between 3-65 with no other medical issues, they will not prescribe Tamiflu. They tell you to rest, drink fluids, and take Tylenol and Motrin. I called her pediatrician who confirmed this as well. Typically, when I call the pediatrician they tell me to bring my kids in. This time after describing her symptoms, the nurse told me there is nothing they can do and to just continue with rest and fluids and OTC meds.
I never have a problem getting Tamiflu. Just got some the other day for all of us. Guess it depends on where you live. Down here in South Florida there is plenty.

I never have a problem getting Tamiflu. Just got some the other day for all of us. Guess it depends on where you live. Down here in South Florida there is plenty.

It probably also depends on the doctor/insurance. Our doctor will provide nothing without an appointment and exam on the person who the medicine is prescribed for. Honestly, I would think that is best practice. There are things other than the flu going around. What if OPs child has an ear infection, sinusitis, bronchitis, step and they think it is the flu so they take the Tamiflu that was prescribed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter