What happens when someone tests positive while on board?

most safely protect their guests

If they were truly trying to protect guests on the cruise ship they would be at minimum requiring testing at port prior to boarding regardless of vaccination status.

I don't know the people in charge of these cruise companies but being the first cruise out of port ????? in FL more so points to putting in policies that get them making money more quickly more so than some altruistic value.

There other goal is likely to get in the group of not having to do any testing on any guests so they never hit the 1.5% cap or whatever it is on needing to cut the cruise short so if there was an outbreak they can collect all the money plus wipe their hands clean saying they followed the CDC protocol.

PLEASE READ- DISboards policy on COVID related topics

From this point on, we will welcome information on COVID policies RELATED TO TRAVEL. Things like the vaccination policies issued by venues or destinations, the cleaning or distancing procedures in use, practical tips for travelers or things they might need to know that are different from location to location are all valid topics. Any official policies issued by Disney, other travel destinations, cruise lines, airlines, etc. regarding requirements for visiting parks or cruising can be shared. This information needs to be on-topic for the specific forum and thread where posted.

We will NOT welcome debate or opinion about medical, scientific, or political aspects of the pandemic. There are a few often repeated trigger items that won’t be allowed: No statistics about infection rates, no ranting about individual rights, no “face-diaper” comments, no debate about whether vaccinations or masking are effective, no discussions about which governor or politician or news personality did or said what.

In summary: COVID related discussion should be limited to actual policy and practical application, and NOT veer into opinion or debate.

We understand that you may be passionate in your opinions on this topic and want to discuss or debate them, and appreciate your understanding that there are more appropriate places than the DISboards to do that.

Thank you,
DISboards Administrators

MSC had someone test positive and one of the ports wouldn't let them stop. MSC requires a test before boarding. They do not require vaccines

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/v...y_rGhrpiyothZy_3VKM8ijM#.YL5MxOIzSwU.facebook
If you're going to cruise these first months there is going to be some risk involved. I've cruised several times during hurricane season and missed ports. It's the chance you take for lower prices. This situaltion is really uncharted waters.

When I was rebooking our cancelled cruise last night our agent made mention that if there was someone on board that tested positive of COVID-19 that the ship would immediately return to port and everyone would be forced to disembark. Any change to your itinerary would be at your expense. So I asked about any refund you would get since the price you pay is for all of your food too and she played dumb. This is something I want to look into more!

When I was rebooking our cancelled cruise last night our agent made mention that if there was someone on board that tested positive of COVID-19 that the ship would immediately return to port and everyone would be forced to disembark. Any change to your itinerary would be at your expense. So I asked about any refund you would get since the price you pay is for all of your food too and she played dumb. This is something I want to look into more!

your agent is wrong.
The new rules provided by the cdc is that the threshold is 1.5% of cases on board for the ship to return and disembark everyone. So on a full ship that would be 50-60 cases, not just 1.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/ti-simulated-voyages-cso.html

your agent is wrong.
The new rules provided by the cdc is that the threshold is 1.5% of cases on board for the ship to return and disembark everyone. So on a full ship that would be 50-60 cases, not just 1.

Yeah, I didn’t believe her either, so I just kept going with the reservation. I just couldn’t wrap my head around what she told me.

I’m thinking about a family who has an 8 yr old test positive, the rest of the family is vaccinated. Is this the risk they will need take, where they may all end up confined in the room together. Risking the time and money is a concern.

I don't expect them to take people's word for being vaccinated when someone in the cabin tests positive. But, maybe I'm just being cynical.

Was this a travel agent, or a DCL employee who said that? My guess is the person is misinformed.

When I was rebooking our cancelled cruise last night our agent made mention that if there was someone on board that tested positive of COVID-19 that the ship would immediately return to port and everyone would be forced to disembark. Any change to your itinerary would be at your expense. So I asked about any refund you would get since the price you pay is for all of your food too and she played dumb.
Maybe get a different travel agent?

MSC just had a positive case. I’ve included two quotes from the article and the link below.

- "Immediately after testing positive, the two passengers and their traveling parties were isolated," Rosenthal said. "Similarly, their close contacts were quickly identified and isolated."

- After getting off the ship, the two passengers and accompanying parties were taken home by "protected MSC Cruises transport" in coordination with local health authorities.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/7627317002

Celebrity Millennium had two positive cases, they got isolated, and Nobody else was positive. Here's a report from someone that was on the ship (The video is from the ship this morning).

In short, the protocols worked and is pretty positive overall.

Last edited:
The one thing we still don't know yet is whether other ports would have allowed unaffected passengers to disembark and enjoy their shore excursions as normal if this had happened earlier in the cruise. (For example, Malta didn't allow it for the MSC Seaside, but that was not a vaccinated cruise and Malta has pursued an elimination strategy for managing COVID.) Obviously it's good that there were no issues getting back to Sint Maarten at the end of the cruise, but it would have been a bit of a drag if their cruise had turned into basically 7 at-sea days.

Last edited:
FWIW, I asked the DCL cast member who booked our September 2021 cruise today exactly what established a "threshold" to return to port. She very clearly stated that ONE confirmed case of COVID-19 on board would force an immediate return to port. So it sounds like that is Disney's policy at this point, regardless of what CDC has established? It sounds like some others have heard the same from DCL based on this thread. Just thought I'd chime in and share since I clarified it this morning with them.

FWIW, I asked the DCL cast member who booked our September 2021 cruise today exactly what established a "threshold" to return to port. She very clearly stated that ONE confirmed case of COVID-19 on board would force an immediate return to port. So it sounds like that is Disney's policy at this point, regardless of what CDC has established? It sounds like some others have heard the same from DCL based on this thread. Just thought I'd chime in and share since I clarified it this morning with them.
Phone reps are notoriously clueless. They don't know what the procedure will be when cruising resumes.

Phone reps are notoriously clueless. They don't know what the procedure will be when cruising resumes.
Agree. As of now, the CDC published guidelines are that sailings must return to port when 1.5% of guests test positive. DCL could choose to make this more restrictive, but until I see this info by an official Disney spokesperson or Executive, official press release, website posting, etc, then that is the latest info we have to go on. The phone rep is not what I would call an official source of that kind of info.

Celebrity Millennium had two positive cases, they got isolated, and Nobody else was positive. Here's a report from someone that was on the ship (The video is from the ship this morning).

In short, the protocols worked and is pretty positive overall.

great Video from his perspective though it seems he’s made some assumptions; I.e the positive passengers will quarantine “at a hotel for a couple days”, some continue to test positive for up to 90 days , I had a family member who did

here’s another perspective from someone who was exposed to the positive passengers and the measures taken for those exposed including quarantine until all results from exposed passengers were resulted the next morning

https://thepointsguy.com/news/celebrity-millennium-cruise-ship-covid/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter