What happens when someone tests positive while on board?

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
Last I heard even if ONE person tests positive the ship must immediately return to Port and then a 2 week quarrantine for all passengers. Is that true?? IF not--what WILL happen?? iT's a virtual certainty someone will test positive..

Hey Uncle R! Long time no see! This is a good question, maybe someone here will have some thoughts.:earsboy:

Zero clue but is there even testing occurring on board on any of the cruise lines? You say if someone will test positive but if they don't test no one can test positive.

What are the plans for other cruise lines?

I believe current CDC rules specify that if someone is suspected of having Covid (symptoms but no positive test yet) or if they test positive onboard, they must be confined to quarters and have no interaction with others on the ship besides medical personnel until they reach the end of the cruise, or if they require medical assistance they can be disembarked at the next port with medical facilities. Meals must be delivered to the room using no-contact methods (i.e. Room Service) and the room can not be cleaned until after the cruise.

Zero clue but is there even testing occurring on board on any of the cruise lines? You say if someone will test positive but if they don't test no one can test positive.

There is testing onboard. Obviously, not on US cruises as they haven’t restarted but cruises in the Caribbean, Europe and Asia. With some of them one positive case caused a return to port, but some of those were also small ships.

OP, I don’t think we know the answer to that yet for cruises based out of the US. I think it’s one of the things that is still being worked on.

Great question and that info has not been established by most cruise lines to the best of my knowledge. All I'll say is that I am making sure I book a Verandah at whatever cruise (and suites/concierge when feasible) to ensure if something terrible like a quarantine happens, I won't go crazy!

A return to Port with just one positive seems a bit absurd. But even worse would be a quarrentine for the entire ship for 2 weeks afterwards Recall what happened to cruise ships when this first started---trust the CDC and DCL might use some common sense. I simply could not risk a 2 week quarrentine....

My guess is we'll be tested every 10 minutes of so---

A return to Port with just one positive seems a bit absurd. But even worse would be a quarrentine for the entire ship for 2 weeks afterwards Recall what happened to cruise ships when this first started---trust the CDC and DCL might use some common sense. I simply could not risk a 2 week quarrentine....

I don't think they'll return to port with just one (1) case.
IIRC reading on here someone posted the CDC guidelines indicating the threshold of cases that would prompt a return to port.
It was a certain percentage but I can't remember what it was. Hopefully someone will post it on here.
Came down to 10-15 cases on a full ship.
10-15 positives makes sense, but if they return the ship with ONE case, that'd be ridiculous.
We won't sail in such a scenario. bc there WILL be cases on a ship. It's statistically impossible that there won't be.

I don't think they'll return to port with just one (1) case.
IIRC reading on here someone posted the CDC guidelines indicating the threshold of cases that would prompt a return to port.
It was a certain percentage but I can't remember what it was. Hopefully someone will post it on here.
Came down to 10-15 cases on a full ship.
10-15 positives makes sense, but if they return the ship with ONE case, that'd be ridiculous.
We won't sail in such a scenario. bc there WILL be cases on a ship. It's statistically impossible that there won't be.

Having a percentage does make sense because the number of positive cases that might result in a return to port would vary based on the number of crew and passengers. One of the scenarios that I saw with a return with one passenger was on a small ship carrying less than 100 guests. The other was one of the bigger ships, but this was last winter out of Singapore when I think things were stricter.

Current CDC guidelines say they must stop and return when 1.5% of the passengers test positive.

So if there are 4,000 passengers, then 60 people
And I suppose the 1-59 will be restricted to their cabins for the rest of the cruise? They would get box meals left at the door?
It might work if they contain and restrict fast enough.
It's going to be a big experiment when cruising does start.
I may wait to book and see how the first cruises go.

I simply could not risk a 2 week quarrentine....
Not many people could or would. I don't think for a minute that ending the cruise and requiring a 2-week quarantine for all passengers is going to be required when cruising resumes for the general public. The lines might as well lay dormant if that's the requirement. Now that vaccination is so widely available, I think that those requirements will be much more relaxed, and consequences will take the form of confinement to quarters for the individual infected and probably also the others in the same stateroom. I also don't think that routine testing of passengers onboard the cruise is going to continue beyond the initial reopening period. So unless a person is symptomatic, they shouldn't have to worry about it.

Last edited:
Current CDC guidelines say they must stop and return when 1.5% of the passengers test positive.

So if there are 4,000 passengers, then 60 people

Ya that was it... 1.5%
With 60 confirmed positives on a full ship it would make sense to prompt a return to port.

Will it just be those who test positive made to isolate in their room, or will that include everyone who shares their cabin?

This is another reason why occupancy will have to be low upon reopening. If someone is confined to their cabin with Covid, then that cabin will need to remain vacant for a few days at least after the infected person leaves at the end of the cruise. They're not going to turn that cabin around in a few hours like usual and just give it to someone else.

So those who are very fussy about their exact cabin location might need to consider the possibility of being moved at the last minute, due to a prior occupant testing positive.

It’d be a bummer for the rest of the party. Will there be mandatory testing and if so, how frequently.

Could the vaccinated possibly be exempt from needing to isolate with a positive cabin mate?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter