What happens when someone tests positive while on board?

It’d be a bummer for the rest of the party. Will there be mandatory testing and if so, how frequently.

Could the vaccinated possibly be exempt from needing to isolate with a positive cabin mate?
I can't imagine they would allow that. I think they would be everything possible to keep positive numbers low to continue the cruise.

The odds of 60 people coming down with positive symptoms within 3-4 days of embarkation when they tested negative when boarding is very unlikely.

As for family, I think as soon as one person is suspected of being positive, they quarantine the whole cabin and test. Once the test results come back, anyone positive remains in quarantine.

Will there be mandatory testing and if so, how frequently.
No one knows right now. During the initial reopening period, it's more likely to happen then after the CDC's Conditional Sailing Order expires on November 1st. I can't imagine them routinely Covid testing everyone indefinitely. Not many paying customers will want to put up with that.

I can't imagine they would allow that. I think they would be everything possible to keep positive numbers low to continue the cruise.
I’m thinking about a family who has an 8 yr old test positive, the rest of the family is vaccinated. Is this the risk they will need take, where they may all end up confined in the room together. Risking the time and money is a concern.

Disney hasn't said anything yet, but if you look to other cruise lines and how they plan to deal with it:

From Royal's site: Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.

what happens when is what I believe CDC is requiring .....

they have not said you must do THIS

they have said show us how you plan to handle THIS .......

some ships are saying 100% vac' ........ to prevent the THIS

some have set up 'quarantine' areas on their ships.

ALL they need to do is SHOW CDC they have a viable plan ...... including what happens when our "sick" arrive at the port . . .

Disney hasn't said anything yet, but if you look to other cruise lines and how they plan to deal with it:

From Royal's site: Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.

“Being SUSPECTED of having covid-19!!??!! What the heck does that mean? You sneeze and they throw you overboard?!” Yikes!

“Being SUSPECTED of having covid-19!!??!! What the heck does that mean? You sneeze and they throw you overboard?!” Yikes!

Well, that is a little dramatic...

If you are symptomatic and have not been tested then you are suspected of having COVID. Depending on the test they use, results may be not be instantaneous.

We'll have to see what the CDC and DCL finally come up with. But we all know there WILL be cases of the virus on board.

I was going to say that
So I suspect it will be up to the ship’s medical doctor. If someone has a whole set of typical symptoms: loss of taste and smell, fever, cough etc. that could be enough. Or some combination of mild symptoms plus a known exposure (e.g. table mates with someone who tested positive).

For example, my husband had “suspected norovirus” and was quarantined based on describing his symptoms to the ship doctor even though they did not run any test.

A return to Port with just one positive seems a bit absurd. But even worse would be a quarrentine for the entire ship for 2 weeks afterwards Recall what happened to cruise ships when this first started---trust the CDC and DCL might use some common sense. I simply could not risk a 2 week quarrentine....

I agree.

It’s not necessary to quarantine an entire ship for two weeks with 1 “positive” test. By the time 24 hours passes since the first test, the cruise is pretty much already over on a 3 nighter.

So I think that what’s missing here is that Florida has declared war in vaccines and won’t let DCL encourage or inquire if the passengers are vaccinated or not. Sooo they will have to err as conservatively as possible to avoid grounding like you mention.
If they are not able to ask you if you are vaccinated then they will need to act as if you are not and determine who was in contact with positively testing people and keep tracing it out from there.

So I’m curious, where is the Celebrity Edge sailing out of on June 26, the one where they opted for 98% crew and 95% passenger vaccinated, CDC approved method?

Is it Fort Lauderdale, Idaho?

So I’m curious, where is the Celebrity Edge sailing out of on June 26, the one where they opted for 98% crew and 95% passenger vaccinated, CDC approved method?

Is it Fort Lauderdale, Idaho?
They're taking their chances with the fine. I think their team of lawyers have reasoned that either Florida law doesn't have jurisdiction over cruises, or that the law will be overturned by a court.

They're taking their chances with the fine. I think their team of lawyers have reasoned that either Florida law doesn't have jurisdiction over cruises, or that the law will be overturned by a court.
Today Celebrity finally gave some details about how they plan to achieve 95% (verified) vaccination while complying with the Florida law. I posted about it here in case you're interested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter