What % downpayment did you make on your home?

1st house in NJ we put 10% down.

2nd house we built in PA and put 20% down.

Now after moving to Florida we're just renting, thinking about buying again but we have some reservations.

DH and I purchased our first house 7 years ago. We paid 5% down and had to increase the selling price of the house and have the sellers give us money back at closing to help finance our closing costs. However, we were well-able to pay the mortgage, PMI, and taxes on the 30 year fixed-rate loan. We saved up cash for all of the improvements we made to the house. That house was in MD, within commuting distance of D.C. and Virginia. We sold it two and half years later for a profit of 20%.

We rolled all of our profit from house #1 into house #2 when we moved across country to Utah. House #2 cost almost $100,000 more than house number two, but with lower interest rates and putting 20% down (no PMI), our payments on the 30 year mortgage and taxes cost us pretty much the same as we had been paying on house #2. Once again, we paid for any improvements with cash. We sold that house after two and a half years for 1% less than we had invested in it (in a market that had gone down 5% while every other market went up).

We rolled all of our equity from house #2 into house #3. By this time, including the profit we made on house #1 due to rising house values, sweat equity on both houses, and cash we'd paid on improvements (including paying $20,000 to have a daylight basement finished in house number two, increasing the house size by two more bedrooms and a bathroom), we had over $80,000 after the sale of house #2.

So, house #3 was back on the East Coast in CT, and due to the proximity to NYC, cost $100,000 more than house #2. Interest rates were super-low at this point and we were starting to think that since we moved so often a 30 year fixed rate might not be the best way to go. We managed to swing a 7/1 ARM with an interest rate of 4.5%. Our mortgage payment is almost the exact amount that we were paying for our mortgage, insurance, PMI, and taxes on our first house. Our insurance and taxes add another $400 each month.

Our housing costs run about 40% of our monthly expenses, which is higher than recommended by the Oprah Debt Diet folks, but, since we've been paying down debt while we've been doing all of this moving around, we can afford to spend the extra on housing to live in a better town (safe, good schools).

We still have the 4.5% interest rate on the house for the next 5 years and the payments aren't hurting us at all. But it also doesn't make too much sense to pay a lot extra toward the principal since it would only save us a little over 3% (4.5% minus the 25% tax rate). So, when I have extra money, I put in taxable mutual funds. I figure I could always take that money out in five years to pay toward the mortgage if it reamortizes to a higher interest rate or if we refinance. If we're still here in 5 years, I'd like to have a hefty amount of cash to put into refinancing for lower payments on a 15 year fixed-rate mortgage.

No, we didn't put 20% down on our first house, but we made several decisions that have helped us to do well with housing. We bought houses we could afford with conventional mortgages. We paid in cash for home improvements, landscaping, furniture, and home decorating items -- if we couldn't pay for it, we didn't buy it. We never used our house as a piggybank. We rolled all of our equity into each successive house instead of spending it.

We did FHA at the time of purchase. (I think maybe a 5% dp, not sure).

The appreciation of our home (triple purchase price) in the 5 years we owned it--more than made up for the lack of a 20% downpayment. Market has finally leveled a bit--but we are holding steady at triple (most homes are actually trying to sell for more).

Had we waited--we would have not been able to afford the home in our desired location.

We tried to pay 20% in 1997 but the bank sent a check for the wrong amount to closing. As I recall, it was about 18%. Since we were getting the loan through the bank, the lawyers and bankers decided it would be easier to leave things as they were and to just waive any PMI. We pay less than 25% of our take home on our mortgage and can't complain.

We live in Central NJ...

In 1998 we put 20% down on a condo. We just bought a house in Sept. of 2005 and put 38% down.

ptrbryant said:
But, it was on a $130,000 house. We don't have a high household income since I homeschool and DH has a very middle-income salary, but I had money from an inheritance that enabled us to buy the house we'll probably stay in for many years with much lower mortgage payments than we would have had.

Karla B. ::yes::

That's another great point. It sounds like you guys did well, but the same circumstances (money from an inheritance) enabled my brother in law to put 20% down on a house he then had problems making the payments on. Because he could put so much down, the banks were willing to loan him money they wouldn't have loaned him otherwise. Had this been his only poor financial decision, he still would have been in deep water, but then they took out all the equity to redo the kitchen, and his ex-wife was a spender.

In 1990 on our first townhouse we put 10% down and the builder put 10% down to avoid PMI. I was in sales at the time as easily paid the 10% back in the first 3 years with bonuses.

Second house was 15% down in 1997 and re-fied once to lock in a lower rate (5% fixed) and remove PMI. We plan to stay here at least 10-15 years.

5.5 yrs ago, we put about 45% down on this house, thanks to equity from the sale of our previous house.

10% down in 1992 for a $135,000 newly constructed home. We're still in our home and it's now worth at least $325,000 (we added a 20 x 22 family room). We dropped PMI as soon as we were able. We'll be refinancing soon and dropping 1 year off our mortgage (down to 15 from 16).

disneysteve said:
The author stated that he believes that if you can't put down 20%, you can't afford the house.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Yeah, that sounds like it was writen by someone that makes $200,000 a year! :rolleyes:

For a $250,000 home, that's $50,000 cash down, plus closing costs. I don't know too many people that can save that kind of money in a reasonable amount of time (say, 5 years or less). Unless they are living at home or something.

I bought my condo for 3% down. I made enough money on that to put 20% down (barely, it came down to the penny!) on our single family home when we bought last August. If it wasn't for the condo that acording to this guy "I couldn't afford" DH and I would have never been able to buy a home!

Now, you should put down as much as you can, of course, and also be sure that you can afford whatever mortgage you wind up getting. But I don't think if you can't get 20% saved up, that you can't afford a house.

Don't own a house yet, but for us to put 20% down on the average house price around here (around $300,000 easy) would mean $60,000- You can bet we will never come up with that kind of a down payment!

We bought our house in 1987 for $60,000. We put 25% down and had a 15 year mortgage at 9% interest, later refinanced to 7%. Our monthly payments were less than $500. We planned it that way to be able to pay it on one income. Housing prices have gone up a lot since then, but there are areas of Pittsburgh that are still quite reasonably priced.

Three years ago we put 10% down. We were both living with our parents so we could save the money. I am getting divorced so I am being bought out of my portion of the house. I will get about 13% of what it is worth today. I am in an apartment now because there is no way I could afford a house. I am going to try and save as much as I can but I doubt I will be able to put more then 5% in the next few years if I am lucky. In this area $300,000 wont get you much more then a townhouse.

We put 20% down on our first house in 1998 but that was before the market went crazy. That house only cost us $165,000 so 20% wasn't too bad.

I don't see how first time home buyers are doing it in today's market though. The people who bought our house not even two years ago put down 10% and mortgaged over $300,000. YIKES! Housing has gone crazy in NJ. I seriously don't know how people are buying their first homes now. We thought the market was maxed out 1-1/2 year ago when we bought our current house but my house is currently selling for $80,000 - $90,000 more than we paid (We're in a development with 5 different style homes so they are easy to compare). I can't imagine having to come up with 20% with the crazy prices that are out there now.

We bought our house in 1999 for $227K with a 10% down payment. We paid $87/month in PMI for 2 years. We appraised our house at that point and it was worth $369K so we eliminated the PMI. We refinanced a year later and actually added the 10% back onto our mortgage (needed for critical home repairs) but since we lowered the interest rate, the payments are the same. So even though we haven't paid much into the house, our equity at this point is almost 50% due to the skyrocketing home prices in MA. If I hadn't purchased when I did I could NEVER afford my house now. We are living on one income for the next few years and this house is affordable enough. Once I go back to work, I'll be able to put in more towards the principle and pay the house off faster.

We bought our house in October 2001 for $330K and put down $100K, plus we paid our closing costs in cash. Now, our house was just appraised for $540K!!! Insane how home values can go up, right???? (we have 12 years left of our existing mortgage and HOPE to have it paid off in about 7...we want to own outright by the time we are 40! :sunny: )

The first house we pretty much just had closing costs and did a VA loan for 100%. DH was 5 years out of college, and we didn't have a lot of savings, but we also didn't have much debt, we paid off his student loans in about 4 years.

The second house we had 20% down. The only reason we had that much was because of a work situation where they paid us subsistance that covered our rent for a year and a half.

We're back to renting and on subsistance again. Hopefully when we have our next house we'll be able to put much more down. It'll just depend on how much housing costs in the area we end up in.

We put down 10%, when we bought back in 2000. 12 years to go till its paid off. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter