What do you think about putting children on a leash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate kid leashes and would never use one.

I wish more people would put leashes on their kids as well as some muzzles!! ;)

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Odd anytime I have been to disney I havent seen much eye candy..usually its married fellows, who have been too well fed and too bald for my liking.
I would like to know when you are going and seeing all this eye candy? I may wish to try going at that time!! :lmao:

I can see Disney's new promotion "The Eye Candy Season"
or

" A Year of a Million Eye Candies"

love it!!:rotfl2:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I think it's a personal choice. I don't need to use them with my 2 and 4 year olds, but I know people that need to use them.

One of my friends has a son with autism... and he was a die hard runner. I would much rather someone put their kids on a leash then lose them in a crowded park or have them dash in front of a vehicle while walking down the street or some thing.

I do however despise when I see someone dragging around by the leash. Or the lady I saw last month at Mk... with a retractable leash on her kids belt loop. That was a bit.... tacky? I don't know - using a true dog leash on your child - who was also much older then toddler aged - just seems a bit... not quite right!

We had two little boys 20 months apart. The older one was a wanderer/runner and it was best for everyone to have him on a leash (bear backpack) when we did things like the zoo or Disney. He got to feel like a big boy and walk and we had the security of knowing he wasn't going to disappear into a crowd. We needed it badly for about 6 months and have never had to use it again.

FWIW, I was never going to use one on my kids until they arrived and I had a two year old who thought sitting in a stroller was the worst torture known to man. I either A. sat in my house and waited for him to get over it or B. looked for alternatives that allowed us to go out as a family. I chose B.

Our youngest was a runner and definitely needed one! The other two never did- better safe than sorry.

Before dd, I thought it was ridiculos to put your child on a leash. I thought, "watch you kid, it is a child, not a dog!" After dd started walking, I understand!!! Now my cousin takes it to the extreme, (put her two year old on a leash to walk into a non-crowded restaurant), but for a busy place, I understand!!! I took dd2 (almost 3) to the Houston Rodeo last week. For those who don't know, it takes place at our football stadium, about 70K people, concert, carnival, livestock show, tons of FFA 4H Club kids, shopping, eating, tons of fun. I took the park and ride there, dh meet us. I was alone with dd for about an hour, and almost had a panic attack. Dh had our stroller in his truck, and omg, I wish I had a leash. I ended up holding her the whole time. (my arms are still sore!) Anyway, we don't use a leash, we use the stroller, or we hold hands. I am considering getting one for our next wdw trip. She loves to walk, but her getting lost scares me to death!

We only had to do in once. We were at Sea World and I swear my 18 month old was going to end up in a tank of fish if we didn't! We bought it at Sea World and was a funny souvineer to remember that trip by! (That child is now 14 years old!:eek:)

I think it's a personal choice. I don't need to use them with my 2 and 4 year olds, but I know people that need to use them.

One of my friends has a son with autism... and he was a die hard runner. I would much rather someone put their kids on a leash then lose them in a crowded park or have them dash in front of a vehicle while walking down the street or some thing.

I do however despise when I see someone dragging around by the leash. Or the lady I saw last month at Mk... with a retractable leash on her kids belt loop. That was a bit.... tacky? I don't know - using a true dog leash on your child - who was also much older then toddler aged - just seems a bit... not quite right!

I know you weren't criticizing and i would probably feel the same way. But it's possible they had no other option. If the child had an "invisible" issue that made the tether necessary and (more than likely) they could not locate one that fit in the traditional way. I know i had some difficulty getting the teddy bear backpack tether to fit over a lightweight jacket on a three year old just last week.
I've used a tether on about three children during my 13+ years of child care. One of the three was my daughter. All children are different and some will stay and some will run. I have no problem with tethers if they are used responsibly - no tugging and used with caution - I've had toddlers tripped using a tether because they wander around and get caught up on things... Definitely have to watch the child and those around you when using a tether.

I hate,hate, hate leashes! Won't use them, have never used them and hate to see them being used. Did I say I hate them?

I have a 20 month old and a 3 yr. old, and while I don't use the tether ALL THE TIME, i usually do when I am in crowded places and by myself with both kids. I can't just leave my youngest in her stroller to keep up with my 3 yr old when he sees a pigeon from afar and decides to go run after it.

When my husband is with me, we don't use it because we can keep a close eye on each child individually.

I would rather use it sporadically than risk somebody taking my child.

I dont have a problem with them.
They are just another tool for managing your child just like the stroller is. I have a puppy backpack for my DD2 and we used it last year when she was 17 mos and will use it again in May. For the most part DD stays in the stroller, but little ones need to get out and explore a bit so the "leash" comes in handy for that. We dont have a "runner", but the leash gives us security and our dd some freedom to move about on her own. Its hard on their little arms (when the parent is so much taller ) to have to hold hands all the time.I wouldnt want to be walking around with my arm straight up in the air for long periods of time. I think the leash is a great option and cant understand why others feel so negative about them:confused3

My little sister was on a leash at WDW once because she would dart, but I guess she got the message that running isnt safe because she hasnt had to be on the leash since. I support those who use leashes and think you do what you have to do to ensure the safety of your child. :thumbsup2

We have six kids. When one of my daughters was 6 she managed to get on a Disney bus by herself. Yes she was on the right bus for our resort. She wasn't upset at all and when the bus driver questioned her she even told him what stop she was going to get off at. Luckily the bus driver still called dispatch.

Anyway, I have no problem with leashes and wished I had one that day, even though she would be considered too old.

I used one with my son a few times when he was younger than two. It was a cute backpack with a leash attached. I'm handicap and walk with a cane. I could care less what people thought. I can't run and knowing that my son couldn't run away from me and get hurt was a relief!

Well, I'm glad to see most of the responses here are positive. It really gets to me when people post rude or abusive comments on the boards. Everyone has their own opinion and to put someone down or get nasty when you don't agree just isn't necessary. Anyway, I have 3 kids and luckily have never needed the leash/tether. I think they're a great idea for kids that wander or run off (in fact they've been around for over 40 years), but should never be a replacement for actual parenting. We did have one scare where our backs were turned for a minute and our littlest one hid behind a rack of clothes (we found him right away), but my heart literally jump out of my chest. I would never wish losing a child on anyone, especially if something as simple as a leash could prevent it. Be thankful if you don't need them, but don't criticize someone if they do. You just don't know what they might be going through.

Thanks all.

I have 4 children, and have taken them all to WDW at varying ages. 3 of them were calm, compliant, walk beside us and hold our hands or ride happily in a stroller. One (my 3rd child, who is now 13 years old) was a runner from the time his feet hit the floor. We made a trip to WDW when he was 15 mos old and he was going through his not going for the stroller thing at all stage. We used the leash and it worked nicely on that trip. We actually had both types, the wrist ones, and a halter type (fit over his chest area). He was able to feel a little more independent, and we had peace of mind. By our next trip we had his little brother too, so we took our Sit "n Stand stroller and he stood up on the back the entire trip happily. WDW has so many things to distract little ones, that if they are prone to wander at all (as all toddlers are) it is easy for one to get out of sight within a few seconds. I can't imagine anyone thinking that using a "leash" is a reflection of parenting skills.:confused:

But I do hate when I see a parent totally ignoring a child that they have on a leash. Just because you are using one doesn't mean you don't have to pay your child an attention. They are supposed to assist you in parenting, not replace your need to keep an eye on your child.

Agreed. I've had a few run-ins with unsupervised "leashed" children. Luckily, DH has quick reflexes!

We have a monkey back pack for my almost 3yo Grandson. He is a "darter".
He will only hold hands for a short period of time. He especially likes to take off in crowds. We have used it in any situation where there were crowds. He actually likes the back pack and he will also lean against it, kind of suspending himself in mid air sometimes, as a previous poster stated. He will sometimes bring the back pack to his mom at home - in the house and ask her to put it on him.
To those who "hate" tethers/leashes and think it is awful to use them, I am glad for you that you never had a child take off running thru a crowd that you had difficulty manuvering thru, while that child headed straight toward the street. It is a horrific feeling not being able to catch up to him in time. Sure, when you do catch them you can correct them, and hope it doesn't happen again, but what if that time it WAS to late. Better a safe and tethered child than one who is seriously injured. Unfortunately for some, all 2-3yo children are not "perfect" all of the time and if you have an independent child, a parent must use whatever means necessary to insure the safety and well being of your child. That is the only thing that is important.

Oh I've totally eaten my words on this subject before!

I was very anti-tether. I had two kids who listened, didn't wander, were NOT runners. I thought - people watch your kids, be the parent and make them listen.....

Then came along dd and wowza did I change my tune and quick :lmao: She is a happy, wild, crazy free spirit who wanders, runs & get's so excited about everything she forgets the rules. I may get one for her for our trip in September and bring for "just in case".

I am not so quick to pass judgement now. All we can do is do our best to keep our kids safe and happy, and if using a tether makes that happen then so be it!

(I also swore I'd never let my kids wear character clothing, but the first time my son seen a Spiderman shirt and his eye's lit up.....well you know how that ended ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter