What Do I Really Need Most To Start Scrapbooking???

Augustheather97

wild about Disney
I am a graphic designer who would love to get going on this....I just got a Creative Memories 12x12 Scrapbook.......now what tools of the trade do I need most that I can't really live without??? any info would be great since I'm off to the store soon....thanks.....Karen

Hi, Augustheather -
BTW, I love your screen name - is that your real name, August Heather? I have a DD named Autumn, that's why I'm wondering.....

Anyway, to answer your question.... With your background in graphic design I bet you'll be turning out some beautiful pages in no time at all. I believe LisaTX posted a list of supplies in her FAQ Scrapbooking Thread. A lot of fellow scrapbookers use the circle cutter. I also like fancy paper in addition to the plain card stock. I like lots of different alphabet stencils, gel pens, especially the metallic ones, stickers and Paperkin people.

I sort my photos in categories and then pick out the really great ones and toss the so-so ones back in the photo bag.
I then lay out my page, picking the paper, any embellishments, etc. and "play around" with the photos until I see something that, to me, is visually appealing. I then crop my photos and mat them.

Happy Scrappin',
Pam

I couldn't live without my paper cutter. You also need tape runner or photo glue. make sure they are photo safe. I also love my "deckle" scissors. There are many kinds of decorative scissors but these are my faves.

Sue

thanks pam and Sue.........I just got back from Micheals......and $60 dollars poorer and I feel I didn't even make a dent into what I want to buy.......I can tell I'm hooked already.......any other ideas??? Pam I like your ideas of laying out the pages..very helpful......thanks....karen

oy ya Pam.....August Heather is my screen name because it was the month after a long road to infertility treatments my daughter Heather was finally concieved.......so it is a special name for me..Autumn is a beautiflu name too......

Karen -

there are a million things you could buy - I have bought most of them I think :)

I think to start you need some cardstock, some acid-free adhesive and maybe a circle cutter - or a template.
You can print fonts off the internet, but eventually you will want some alphabet templates and other tools, but you don't need them to get started.

I also love stickers - there are some really classy one's out there.

Graceful Bee has a good article about getting started- http://www.gracefulbee.com/ it's called Newbees.

I would suggest not buying everything initially - you can do a lot without massive amounts of supplies, and then as you go you will realise which things you need and which you don't.

A couple of magazines or idea books are also helpful to get started - I like Creating Keepsakes and Simple Scrapbooks, and also Becky Higgins idea book, but that is just one person's style, so perhaps not the best for your first book (might be better to have a number of designers so you can see lots of styles)

you can also see loads of layouts on 2 peas http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/ - some people reckon you don't need an idea book if you've got 2 peas!

Bev

Okay....my list of absolute must-haves for starting:

Paper trimmer
Corner rounder (okay, maybe not a necessity, but i can't live without it)
tape runner (or some sort of adhesive)
set of pens

other things i personally can't live without:

short cuts (from CM...makes doing pages really easy!)
photo mounting paper
ABC/123 stickers for titles
cutting system

then, of course, i like stickers. :D

The very basics I promote as a consultant are ShortCuts, a trimmer, a corner rounder and a tape runner...and page protectors! But I really couldn't work well without my cutting system (and I've gotta have the 12" pattern!). My other personal necessities are pens and photo mounting paper in full sheets..I do a lot of matting of my photos.

Its really wonderful to get everything at once in a kit, but if you need to keep costs down you can work with the basics and see what you would like from there. I started with just the cutting system with the 12" pattern and ovals. I used the straight edge of that instead of a trimmer for several months.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts