What COST took you by suprise?

One big surprise cost that happened to a friend is when she got pregnant while at Disney - the cost is astonomical and continues for at least 18 years.

While the costs of toiletries and medicine and drinks are high, you also don't want to kill yourself worrying about packing every little thing. Remember the big items, like swim suits because those are big ticket items. If you can stop at a gas station or somewhere to get cold drinks and snacks, you can save a lot buy not having to buy them at the parks.

I live in NYC. The cost of drinks is pretty inexpensive at WDW compared to what I am used to.

I do think the sweatshirts and those photos they take before the character meals are overpriced and I generally don't pay for them...We try not to buy too many souvenirs...Penny press is one of our favorites---only 51 cents each! :)

As PP have said paying adult prices for meals for a 10 year old is an absolute outrage. On top of that, I've been told that Disney now adds on a $4 surcharge/adult for many restaurants in the Summer. Is this accurate? If so, we may have to rethink some character meals which have become sort of a tradition for my family.

I live in NYC. The cost of drinks is pretty inexpensive at WDW compared to what I am used to.

I do think the sweatshirts and those photos they take before the character meals are overpriced and I generally don't pay for them...We try not to buy too many souvenirs...Penny press is one of our favorites---only 51 cents each! :)

We're big fans of the Penny Press too!

As PP have said paying adult prices for meals for a 10 year old is an absolute outrage. On top of that, I've been told that Disney now adds on a $4 surcharge/adult for many restaurants in the Summer. Is this accurate? If so, we may have to rethink some character meals which have become sort of a tradition for my family.

There is a price increase and a surcharge! According to wdwinfo, the following restaurants add the extra charge:

During seasons of high demand, Disney raises the prices at most of the prix fixe restaurants.

Below are the restaurants where you can expect to pay more. On average, it's $4.00 more per person ages 10 and up, $2.00 more per child ages 3 -9.

Restaurants:

1900 Park Fare
Akershus
Biergarten
Boma
Cape May Cafe
Chef Mickey's
Cinderella's Royal Table
Crystal Palace
Garden Grill
Hollywood and Vine
Liberty Tree Tavern (dinner)
Ohana
Trails End
Tusker House

I will be avoiding every restaurant on that list for my 2 week trip this summer. With 10 people traveling, that is $40.00 a meal I am just not going to pay (not counting the gratuity that accompanies it).

I knew the trip wasn't going to be cheap. Traveling these days, especially to a popular location, never is. But the thing that killed me the most was seeing some of the prices for merchandise. $10 for balloons, some people are saying around here... I'll stick to 98 cent post cards! :p

Yes, there is a "peak season surcharge" for the character meals, also on the dining plan cost.

Not just summer:
February 16 – 25, 2012
March 9 – April 14, 2012
June 1 – August 4, 2012
December 21 – 31, 2012

I think the character meal prices have gotten outrageous.

Food and drinks don't get to me, since these are always such big mark ups on vacation. However, the part that kills me is renting the small boats. When we were younger we used to go out on these all the time. Now they are so expensive for 30 minutes! That was probably my biggest shock.

Last time we rented boats at the Wilderness Lodge Marina, we told the guy we wanted to rent for an hour. About 50 min. into the rental, while we were getting ready to return to the dock, a lifeguard on one of those Boston Whaler boats came by and told us we should get back to the Marina because a thunder storm was approaching the area and no one was allowed on the water then.

So when we went back to the rental shack to pay, the CM just said that the rental was free because we had to finish early because of the thunder storm.

Cool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter