What COST took you by suprise?

adoptivemomx2

Mouseketeer
I just posted about a questions asking about food budgets and not wanting to be suprised by all the nickel and diming (I wish I could think of a more positive way to put it). That got me thinking about other costs that may take me by suprise.

What cost took you by suprise?

What do you wish you'd brought from home, that you had to buy on your trip?

What cost do you wish you'd budgeted for?

Somehow I forgot to pack DS kids toothpaste...no idea how I did that and the one I packed for us was not going to cut it...

So down to the giftshop. They only had kids toothpaste with the brush and travel case so it cost $4...what a waste...

Also the games at Animal Kingdom. 3 games for $10...DS is still talking about how he didnt win the turtle he wanted but I wasnt paying more then $10.

Specialy drinks. DH got 3 bud lites at Ohana and it cost $20. My 1 drink was like $15. Rainforest Cafe was no different.

I forgot to pack sunscreen for our first park day - I had some in our checked luggage but we used Magical Express so it hadn't come in yet. I went to the Kidani Village shop to buy some baby sunscreen - I can't remember exactly how much it was, I want to say maybe $15? I was shocked, but I really shouldn't have been, I know that toiletries and food items can be expensive.

Also, the baby food two packs were $2.50 at the Jambo gift shop - they are a little less than a $1.00 where we live. Again, I knew they would be expensive though since there is a premium on convenience items like that.

So I would just suggest to really make sure you have all of your toiletries and if you have little children make sure you have enough food and diapers.

Enjoy your trip! :goodvibes

I forgot to pack sunscreen for our first park day - I had some in our checked luggage but we used Magical Express so it hadn't come in yet. I went to the Kidani Village shop to buy some baby sunscreen - I can't remember exactly how much it was, I want to say maybe $15? I was shocked, but I really shouldn't have been, I know that toiletries and food items can be expensive.

Also, the baby food two packs were $2.50 at the Jambo gift shop - they are a little less than a $1.00 where we live. Again, I knew they would be expensive though since there is a premium on convenience items like that.

So I would just suggest to really make sure you have all of your toiletries and if you have little children make sure you have enough food and diapers.

Enjoy your trip! :goodvibes

Food and drinks don't get to me, since these are always such big mark ups on vacation. However, the part that kills me is renting the small boats. When we were younger we used to go out on these all the time. Now they are so expensive for 30 minutes! That was probably my biggest shock.

Not sure I'll say anything that surprises folks here but the toiletries and food items at the gift shops. What was en eye opener to me, although I wasn't paying for it was the cost of the meals. We always used the DDP, but when you look at the cost it's like "Whoa!"

For example, to book Cinderella's Royal table, it was like $200+ dollars for 2 adults\2 kids.

The last two years we've had "free dining", but I forgot that with a party of 6 or more there is an automatic 18% gratuity. Of course we would tip anyway, but I had totally forgotten about tipping when I heard the term "free" dining.

Fortunately I saw this before we left for our first trip, but it was still an unexpected amount that I didn't think of when you get "Free" dining. The tips alone were around $225 for each of our two trips.

Dan

I second the drinks. We just got back from DLR. a beer was NINE dollars. We had bought some milk and beer through a grocery delivery so it was ok to just drink those before dinner instead.
Also, I think the photo pass cost is ridiculous. 15 for a print, and if you want the cd it's 65. We only had two or three good pics because there were rarely photopass photographers around, and in a lot of the pics the kids were scowling or covering their faces. Some of the good ones of the kids, I had the same pictures but mine were better.

What cost took you by suprise? Tipping 18% on a buffet. That's not typical for us.

What do you wish you'd brought from home, that you had to buy on your trip? - Crocs and a parka so I could get my son to ride Splash Mountain and Kali River Rapids.

What cost do you wish you'd budgeted for? - Drinks. Seriously.

Seriously, I'm not surprised by the cost of just about anything at WDW. We just estimate that we'll pay close to double what we'd pay at home, and go from there. That's why we only go once every 2 years now, drive instead of fly, and pack just about everything but the kitchen sink.

When I first was on my own going.......
Any prices AFTER this sign took me by surprise.....
disney-welcome-sign.jpg

Now? No matter how hard I try NOT to be surprised by them, the cost of drinks (like some have said).

Bring from home I don't have to buy: Every trip we forget one or the others bathing suit. It goes without fail.

Budgeted. Drinks....and apparently, new bathing suits every trip.

Jellyrolls--the drinks. I'm not much of a drinker at all. I never buy alcohol when I am "out". A margarita (sp?) in a wedding punch sized plastic up (yes, I'm serious) and a white russian were $21, without tip.

Sorry--I forgot. YEARS AGO hubby got a fresh banana at ABC commisary. it was $1.50.

I can't say that it surprises me, but a hooded sweatshirt that costs $50 is not worth my $$$. My MIL bought them for the kids 2 years ago at $40 each. I had a hard time stomaching that!:confused:

Oh and the cost of a sweat shirt...I found a few zipups I REALLY wanted...but no way and I spending $60-$80 on that...are they crazy...

Oh and the cost of a sweat shirt...I found a few zipups I REALLY wanted...but no way and I spending $60-$80 on that...are they crazy...

I feel exactly the same way. That's why now (since we drive) we stop off at the Disney outlet in St. Augustine on the way down. The last 2 visits I've been able to find great zip up hoodies for $10 and $12!! Then I'm not so put off when I browse the park shops. Oh, and since we collect Disney Christmas ornaments, I was able to find some beautiful tree ornaments for 75%off- saw them for full price later that week in the parks.

The price of alcohol. I rarely drink, so a beer or mixed drink on vacation is a treat. Our first trip in 2003 we stayed at CBR. I grabbed a 16 oz beer at the food court and didn't pay attention to the cost. It was $5 for a Budweiser. I was also shocked a few years ago when I got that mixed drink in a pineapple, it was about $15. There wasn't much drink in there either.

I have to agree with the cost of a hoodie or sweat shirt. I found a shirt I really liked in October. I can't remember now if it was a zip up sweat jacket or a hoodie, but it was around $60-$70. No thank you......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter