What car would you buy for a 16 year old?

Personally, I would not spend that much money for a first car. The chances are very good that they will have some sort of incident/ fender bender where the car gets damaged within the first year or so even if they are an extremely responsible kid. The reality is that they simply don't have a lot of driving experience yet.

You can get a decent car for a lot less. Or give them your car and you get a new one. If they don't have to buy it, I would think they would be thrilled with any wheels.

My third kid just got her permit and we are going through figuring out what she will drive as well. Oldest DD commutes to college so we got her a 2013 Civic...has been terrific. My DS is graduating next month and has also decided to commute so he may get my 2013 Sonata and I get something else. So we will likely be looking for one for my youngest early fall.

Good luck!

Why not let it be a " grandma" car? Insurance going up is going to be a factor once he has his license.

He can buy whatever car he wants when he gets to pay for it,lol.

Heck - grandmas don't really drive traditional "grandma cars" any more. I remember when it was common for older drivers to drive the largest gas guzzlers thinking that they would be somewhat safer. However, they use for fuel and are considerably harder to park. I see a lot of older drivers in compact cars these days, since they're frankly more practical for most needs.

My children "inherited" our oldest car, a 2008 Prius, when they became drivers. It is safe and reliable. And, not terribly expensive (but let's face it, insuring ANY car with newly minted drivers is expensive!) to insure. A newer car would have been out of our comfort level in terms of paying the insurance.

I'd want something where I only had to get "liability" insurance. Collision would significantly add to the bill. As it is, DD is around $1000 a year, good student discount, liability only.

My oldest son drove a 70-something Camero when he was in high school. He had a bad wreck in it. The car was totaled but the weight and actual metal the car was made with made a huge difference. He didn't get hurt at all other than his shoulder as he turned and took the brunt of the impact in his shoulder. Those older muscle cars were heavy. If I could get one with the added protection of air-bags, I would love it.

The average 2017 car is more than 1,000lbs heavier than the average 1970 car.

Heck - grandmas don't really drive traditional "grandma cars" any more. I remember when it was common for older drivers to drive the largest gas guzzlers thinking that they would be somewhat safer. However, they use for fuel and are considerably harder to park. I see a lot of older drivers in compact cars these days, since they're frankly more practical for most needs.

Ha ha true. I am a grandmother (still working on what I will be called )and my last car was a bright red sporty coupe with vanity plates.
Her other grandparents have a Prius, a ford station wagun and a red corvette, so it varies.

Ha ha true. I am a grandmother (still working on what I will be called )and my last car was a bright red sporty coupe with vanity plates.
Her other grandparents have a Prius, a ford station wagun and a red corvette, so it varies.

I remember the movie L.A. Story, where the opening includes an older couple in walkers, which they place in their trunk. Then it cuts to show that their car is a Ferrari and the older driver is burning rubber.

DH researched the heck out of cars last year for dd. Safety was his #1 concern. We ended up with a Subaru Forester. We have a Subaru app where we can track the car from our phones (also do other stuff, unlock doors, etc). When my Nissan Armada lease is up, we're getting me a Subaru to share with ds15.

DH researched the heck out of cars last year for dd. Safety was his #1 concern. We ended up with a Subaru Forester. We have a Subaru app where we can track the car from our phones (also do other stuff, unlock doors, etc). When my Nissan Armada lease is up, we're getting me a Subaru to share with ds15.

The Forester has changed so much over the years though. It used to clearly be a station wagon, but now it's morphed into a compact SUV.

I bought my kids Jeeps. Oldest has a 2010 Jeep Liberty, bought in 2011, youngest has a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, longer wheelbase but only two door. Picked it up for about 20, with 30,000 miles in mint condition, bought in 2011.
The oldest had a Jeep Compass, was in an accident, that totaled his car. Himself his girlfriend and his brother walked away. It was replaced with the Liberty a few weeks before leaving for college.
I had no compunction about Jeeps for them. Some parents are wholly against it, I understand. You have to make a good choice for your own kids based on many factors.

The Forester has changed so much over the years though. It used to clearly be a station wagon, but now it's morphed into a compact SUV.

yes, it's definitely a compact SUV. Really good traction for NY winters too.

yes, it's definitely a compact SUV. Really good traction for NY winters too.

The first two generations of the Forester were clearly station wagons. Almost any Subaru from the last 15 years is good for winter driving with adequate tires. Maybe not the BRZ though, but that's a RWD two-seater.

A lot of people living in winter areas buy huge 4WD SUVs, but they're just way too much car most of the time. And what's really bad about it is that even though the 4WD gets one moving, it doesn't do all that much when it comes to stopping or steering. I'd prefer something that's not too heavy.

What did they learn to drive on? I'd get them something similar.

I learned to drive a four door sedan and I'm still best at that.

I'd get something with a trunk so they have somewhere to secure valuables, and once they turn 21, somewhere to put beer out of reach from passengers. College kids can be real idiots.

Seems odd, but here in Missouri it's not illegal for passengers to drink in a vehicle. :jester:

Honestly I'd go for something under 10K, not flashy and not something you're going to worry about when it gets wrecked.

Seems odd, but here in Missouri it's not illegal for passengers to drink in a vehicle. :jester:

Honestly I'd go for something under 10K, not flashy and not something you're going to worry about when it gets wrecked.

There are a few states that aren't compliant with federal rules. It might affect stuff like federal transportation funding. All states moved to a minimum drinking age of 21 to avoid getting partially cut off from that funding.

That is crazy. Would not have occured to me that was the case anywhere. Here you can get ticketed for simply having a previously opened container in the passenger area. I know because transporting wine became a lot more nerve wracking the summer my trunk lock decided to stick randomly:rotfl2:

DS will be getting his license in less than two months. We are looking for a car that will (hopefully) be used by all three of our children over the next 8 years as they learn to drive and become licensed. Looking for something newer, safe and reliable, but trying to stay under ~$17k. I don't want anything too fast, but I also don't want it to look like a "grandma car" - as DS calls it. I was looking at the Ford Fusion, but only because my little sister drives one and has had good luck with it.

I know there are a few car gurus around here, so I figured it would be worthwhile to pick your brains. Thanks! :)

Do you need 4WD? If so, go for the Subaru Forrester. It's much better in the snow/muck than the CRV.

If you are paying for the vehicle, screw the kids' input. I'd get them the crappiest looking car so they can be motivated to work and get a better one! Or at least make them pitch in to pay for it if they want a say in what it looks like?

We got a used Subaru Impreza when our oldest started driving, and all 3 kids learned on it and drove it. It was 3 years old at the time. We told them it was not their car, it was ours that we were letting them drive. Now they all live in areas with good public transportation and don't own cars.

That is crazy. Would not have occured to me that was the case anywhere. Here you can get ticketed for simply having a previously opened container in the passenger area. I know because transporting wine became a lot more nerve wracking the summer my trunk lock decided to stick randomly:rotfl2:

That's your basic vehicle open container law - i.e. anything where the official seal has been broken can't be in the "passenger compartment". Theoretically transporting a previously opened container to your car's trunk via the sidewalk is considered breaking most open container laws. I can't really imagine any serious enforcement though, unless someone is actually consuming alcohol on the sidewalk.

Here in California there's no statewide open container laws for the street, but there is for vehicles. So any open container law regarding the street or sidewalks is going to be local. We had a block party for National Night Out, and our police chief came to our block. Either he didn't care, or perhaps there was no applicable law regarding open containers. We has a bunch of open wine bottles set up on a table set up in the street.

That's your basic vehicle open container law - i.e. anything where the official seal has been broken can't be in the "passenger compartment". Theoretically transporting a previously opened container to your car's trunk via the sidewalk is considered breaking most open container laws. I can't really imagine any serious enforcement though, unless someone is actually consuming alcohol on the sidewalk.

Here in California there's no statewide open container laws for the street, but there is for vehicles. So any open container law regarding the street or sidewalks is going to be local. We had a block party for National Night Out, and our police chief came to our block. Either he didn't care, or perhaps there was no applicable law regarding open containers. We has a bunch of open wine bottles set up on a table set up in the street.

It's similar here. I think mostly they enforce it sporadically- if it's a rowdy crowd or anything involving transit or driving. In theory, there's no way to get pulled over for having an open container, but my luck is such that I'll get pulled over for something I'm not guilty of or a minor infraction, and then get the ticket for the open container. I'm pretty sure that happened to my mother because she's really paranoid about that law and that level of paranoia is usually because of a ticket she's gotten.

It's similar here. I think mostly they enforce it sporadically- if it's a rowdy crowd or anything involving transit or driving. In theory, there's no way to get pulled over for having an open container, but my luck is such that I'll get pulled over for something I'm not guilty of or a minor infraction, and then get the ticket for the open container. I'm pretty sure that happened to my mother because she's really paranoid about that law and that level of paranoia is usually because of a ticket she's gotten.

I've only been caught once, not that I make a habit of drinking alcohol in public places. I wasn't even sure if it was illegal, but I kind of reflexively hid my beer when a saw a police cruiser. It was in the parking lot of Shoreline Park in Mountain View, California. They have a massive dirt lot that serves as the parking for both the park and Shoreline Amphitheatre. The cop drove by and said she saw me hide something, and ordered me to pour out whatever it was. It was a 24 oz can of PBR that I bought for less than $2 at a supermarket. The guy in the car next to me said I should have brought a cup. I actually saw the same can sold inside the concert venue for $12.

I looked up the law and alcohol was legal in the park, but not in the parking lot or with 50 feet of the lot or any roads. So I was in violation, but basically only lost a cheap beer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter