What can you tell me about Redbone Coonhounds?

design_mom

probably more like my dad than I care to admit
My husband and I have had labrador retrievers (or mostly-lab mixes) since we've been married. Sadly, one of our labs is suffering from cancer and I don't think he's going to be long for the world. :(

We're not ready for a new dog yet, but I'm starting to do some research on dog breeds to get in mind what we might want to get next. I love labs, but I am somewhat tired of all the shedding. I tried to talk DH into a standard poodle for next time (I grew up with poodles), but he wants "a dog that looks like a dog."

I have always loved hounds. I especially love Bloodhounds and Treeing Walker Coonhounds, but in reading up on them they are definitely not the right breed of dog for us. However, the Redbone Coonhound sounds like it might be a decent fit. I read that they're active outdoors, but relatively sedate indoors. They are relatively heathy and are light shedders. They get along well with kids and other dogs and, in general, make good family pets. They often don't do well with cats or small household pets (tend to hunt them), but we don't have any cats/small pets and don't intend to get any. DH thinks they look like a good option as well.

My biggest concern is that it says they need a "securely fenced yard" but I can't find anything more specific than "securely fenced" or "good fence." The bloodhound write-ups say they need at least a 6' fence, which is one of the reasons I don't think a bloodhound is right for us... but I have not been able to find similar height recommendations for redbones.

Our yard is fully enclosed by a 48" fence (maximum height allowed by our homeowner's association). I suspect my labs could jump it if they really wanted to, but they never have. Do you think it would be enough for a Redbone Coonhound? (Note: Our dogs generally go out, run around, do their business, and come inside. We don't leave them outside all day or when we leave home, etc.)

I have noticed Redbones come up pretty regularly at local shelters listed as stray, which makes me wonder if they haven't' been fenced at all, or if they haven't been fenced enough.

I don't know anything about Redbone hounds, but I wonder if they bark a lot. I know some other hunting dogs bark A LOT. I would be very concerned about that if I lived in a subdivision with an HOA and strict covenants.

I don't know anything about Redbone hounds, but I wonder if they bark a lot. I know some other hunting dogs bark A LOT. I would be very concerned about that if I lived in a subdivision with an HOA and strict covenants.

That is a good question... and perhaps someone with knowledge of coonhounds can weigh in.

I don't think redbones generally bark as much as other coonhound breeds (from what I have read), but their bark can be very loud. I work from home so I would be home most of the day. (One of our labs tends to bark if left home alone and loose in the house, so he's crate trained and much happier.)

I know one that's a mix. She matches some parts of what you've heard - quiet and laid back indoors (she's an office dog and spends the day sleeping) but active outdoors. She doesn't bark "a lot" but there are certain people and dogs that she doesn't like and will bark at. It's a pretty big, loud bark (makes me jump every time!).

However, this one in particular doesn't like kids. She is fine with small household pets - she has a cat that she loves. I also wouldn't call her a light shedder.

As for needing a secure fence, that's because they're hounds and tend to wander if left unsecured. They like to follow their noses!

As for needing a secure fence, that's because they're hounds and tend to wander if left unsecured. They like to follow their noses!

Thanks for the info about the redbone-mix you know.

I know the reason for the fence is because they will follow a trail, I'm just not sure if a 48" fence is "enough" of a fence for a redbone!

From what I've read about bloodhounds, they will pretty much stop at nothing once they are on a trail, so you need a 6' fence that they *can't* jump. I'm not sure if redbones are the same way, or if a fence would be a reminder that they *shouldn't* keep following the trail.

My dad never had redbones, but lots of Walkers, a few blueticks, and a couple Black and Tans. He kept his hounds behind 8' fences and had one that was actually able to climb out (that was the only escapee). Other than a couple of very old dogs, he never let them run loose or they'd be gone. I can also remember many, many times they'd be howling at something in the night. I think that's true of a LOT of outside dogs though, but will definitely be true of a hunting breed. We never really treated them as pets per say, but they were never agressive around people. I can only ever remember one friend who had a mean coonhound, and he put it down the first time it snapped at his kids.

I suggest watching Where The Red Fern Grows for a little more insight on coonhounds (redbones playing the star role) :thumbsup2

We have walkers, beagles, and one red boy. Unless you can run an overhead trolley or install underground invisible fencing a large hound wont be safe. Why not a nice beagle or beagle cross?

I love ours but their baying is worse than barking and they shed their fine hair constantly.

If you were closer you could come visit!

Terri

we have a bluetick who easily gets over our four foot picket fence. pretty sure thats how she wound up at our house as a stray to begin with.

barking? no...try BAYING at everything and anything. be prepared for your hoa to kill you.

that said, she is the sweetest snuggliest thing ever and i would get another in a hot srcond"

I have a friend whose husband raises Redbones. They are very sweet/smart dogs but their braying/howling is loud & deep. They live in the country so they don't have neighbor issues.

I have to get to work so I will tell you about my dog later, ok?
But I will say this much for now: As much as I truly do love my dog and would do anything for him, I am very serious about warning people that coonhounds do not make good pets unless you have a very specific type of area and lifestyle, which most people do not have.
Even though I love my dog, truthfully I would not have gotten a coonhound at all had I known.
I was just a lurker, but I am so serious about the topic of coonhounds that your topic here gave me motivation to sign up for this board finally.
But like I said I'll get back on here later to give you the details. Gotta get ready for work now.

Have you looked into other dogs in the sporting group? If you are accustomed to labrador retrievers then you are probably comfortable with and know how to handle the natural tendencies of the dogs in that group. Hounds are bred for and have a completely different approach to things. I had a hound once - it was a great dog but that natural tendency to follow their nose drove drove me nuts.
If you have any dog shows in your area that is a great place to meet and talk with people who love just about every kind of breed and can tell pros and cons of any given breed.

I suggest watching Where The Red Fern Grows for a little more insight on coonhounds (redbones playing the star role) :thumbsup2

Nothing to add because I have collies probably about as far from a coonhound you can get. :)

But I love :love: this movie. I've probably seen it over 100 times and cry everytime. :sad1:

Well, these are not the answers I was hoping for... but they are the information I was looking to get. ;-) That's why I wanted to ask *before* we got too far down the path of choosing that breed. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.

It sounds like maybe a Redbone Coonhound would not be a great fit for our family. It sounds like the fence height and the barking could be problems.

We will keep looking -- and will likely end up with another lab or lab-mix. I like beagles but DH does not. (He thinks they are too small... and he knew one as a child that he didn't like. I pretty much love all dogs, even though they're not all "right for us." He's being picky!)

Coonhound -- I would still love to hear more about your dog if you are willing to share.
StitchFanZ -- Thanks for the suggestion to check out other dogs in the sporting group. I will look again through their breed profiles and see if anything sounds like a good fit. I really do love just about everything about our Labs except the fur. Our black one, who is a mix, but we don't know what he's mixed with, sheds like CRAZY. I sometimes call him "Pigpen" (like from Charlie Brown" because he seems to have a cloud of shed hair around him wherever he goes, no matter how often I brush. I think i could make a new dog every two days with how much he sheds! Our yellow one sheds a lot too... but I don't think it's as noticeable. The black one, though, is the one who is sick... and he's been the NICEST dog we've ever had. :( The rescue where we got him said the black ones are the hardest to place because "big black dog = scary" to a lot of people, even though he's the biggest marshmallow you'd ever meet. So I wouldn't be surprised if we get "suckered" into another black one and my vacuum continues to get a major workout.)
Gumbo and Rolie -- I am trying to decide if I have enough "strength" to watch Where The Red Fern Grows in movie form. It's been one of my favorite books since I was a kid, but I've never seen the movie. It was one of three books that ever made me cry: Where the Red Fern Grows, Old Yeller, and Marley and Me. (All about dogs. You can see the path to my heartstrings, can't you?)

Okay I can talk more now.

My coonhound is adorable. But he has to be. If coonhounds weren't cute, no one would keep them. Seriously.

We got him at a shelter.
We called the shelter and asked about adoptions, but the shelter said "We are actually closing because we don't have the funds to stay open anymore. We stopped taking new animals, and we are just waiting til we got all of our current animals adopted out, once they're all gone then we will be closing."

We asked did they have any left now?

The shelter said "Well, we only have one dog left, so you won't have much to choose from. If you don't want to make the drive to come see him, I can tell you where there are other shelters.."

We asked, You're staying open for one dog??

The guy said, "We are trying to get him moved to another shelter but no one will take him. And none of our workers want him so I'm not sure what we'll do at this point. But like I said, you should probably go to a shelter where you'll be able to see lots of dogs at once."

We were like, well, we'll come see yours first, maybe we'll want him.

So we go. He's alone at the shelter, and the guy introduces him to us. The dog delights us. He was 4-6 months old, about 65 pounds, so a large dog, and he was adorable. He delighted us by shaking paws with each of us. He sat very still and looked at us when we talked, and seemed extremely calm.
We thought, he is so calm, that's great.

The guy DID warn us that he was being deceptively calm. He told us, "He's not actually like this, you know. He has a ton of energy, always doing something. He's probably nervous right now because he doesn't know you, and when he is nervous he acts very calm. I just want you to know this is not his personality."

The guy said he was a runaway from a home with a 4 ft fence where he was left outside all the time. The guy said you should not leave him outside all the time, he really needs companionship and when coonhounds are left out alone they can get destructive.

We asked if thats why the woman didn't keep him. He said, "She started to keep him outside because of being destructive, of course she was gone all day at work so he was lonely and bored. But when she kept him outside, he constantly ran away from home, nearly every day, so she said she just couldn't keep him."

Well, we didn't see much of a problem. At our house, he wouldn't be lonely or bored because there is always someone at home. And we wouldn't keep a dog outside all the time anyway.

We talked a while longer and the next 2 days we went back and brought him home.

Now he was only 4-6 months old, so we expected puppy behavior.
And we knew that for large breeds, they stay a puppy for 2 years, even though physically they may not look like a puppy anymore.
We expected it.
What we did not expect was that he would stay a puppy for the next twelve years. :scared1:

He was already trained to go to the bathroom outside, so no problem there. :thumbsup2

But there was everything else..

After a couple of exhausting days, we worked out shifts to watch him. Each person had to take four hour shifts....this included nighttime, if your shift was midnight to four am, then you better stay up till four am when the next person's shift starts. He needed constant watching. And it was more than just watching. He needed constant entertaining.

He actually slept quite a bit because after all he was still a puppy. But a lot of the time he was up, and we all have blurred memories from that year.

He was constantly into things, things you wouldn't expect. And you couldn't just put things up out of his way, for two reasons:
1, some of the things he would get into, could not be "put away"...such as the fireplace,
2, even when you do put things away out of his reach, he will find a way to get to them, coonhounds are clever and persistant and they look at everything as a challenge, nomatter where you put things out of his reach, he would find a way to access it.

One time he set his sights on a rolling pin. He wanted that rolling pin. We ended up child proofing the cabinets because he figured out how to open the drawers and cabinets by using his teeth to twist the knobs to open them.
He got the rolling pin out that way, so we moved it, but he got it again. Finally we put the rolling pin on top of the buffet in the dining room, because we figured he wouldn't know it was there, and the buffet is like 7 feet tall.
I remember it was my "shift" and I needed to use the bathroom. I thought, I'll be two minutes, whatever. While I was in there I heard scraping, then feet, then a clunk. I rushed out, to find him laying down on top of our dining room table, proudly holding the rolling pin in his mouth.
Coonhounds are extremely smart. He had pushed a dining room chair out so he could climb onto it and from there climb onto the table. He had put his front feet up on the buffet and used a biscuit tin that was up there to slide the rolling pin off. He was not chewing the rolling pin or anything, he was just holding it, looking proud that he had gotten it.

Coonhounds are proud of themselves when they work out challenges. Most breeds of dogs want to please their owners. Coonhounds usually don't care what you think. Scolding them generally does nothing because their attitude is, 'you're not happy with me, but oh well, as long as I got what I wanted!'

Don't think we weren't entertaining him enough.

First of all, to start with, they need a ton of toys (from the huge rubbermaid box full of toys, you would think we had like 6 dogs) but, you cannot leave the toys out.
You must rotate the toys so there's 3-5 toys out at any one time, coonhounds get bored fast so you rotate the toys so they stay interesting to him. Every couple of days you change out the toys.

The toys they need to get are ones that have challenges, like where you put a treat inside and they have to figure out how to get it out, etc. Or puzzle toys. If a toy has no challenge to it, he will not be interested.

And of course, toys alone are not enough. You need going running, playing with another dog, and games at home. I'll cover them seperately:

:yay: Going Running: I tried walking him, but walks are not enough, you will end up running, because he MUST get his energy out.
We went for long runs TWO to THREE TIMES A DAY, I kid you not. And he was NEVER once actually tired after we got done. Me? I was collapsing. My dog was like, "Great, let's do that again!!"
And in case I wasn't clear, the runs are IN ADDITION to the walks, NOT instead of.

:yay: Playing with another dog: A golden retriever lived next door. The neighbors said, our dogs are about the same age and same size, why don't we get them together to play? We were always looking for anything that would wear him out, so YES. They'd play together till the golden retreiver was too tired, then our dog would come home. And you know what the best part was? We didn't have to take him over there or pick him up. Yep, our dog would just hop their huge fence and go play. We would see him in their backyard playing with their dog, and we would all say "Did you take him over there?" etc but no one did.
It wasn't good that he could hop their fence, because whenever their dog got a new bone or a new toy, our dog would just hop the fence, pick up his bone/toy, and come home with it. We were constantly returning things to the neighbors, saying "Our dog stole this...again..." :headache:
The fence was around 5 ft high I think. For coonhounds you need 7-8 ft high fence and possibly higher, but our city doesn't allow fences higher than 6 ft. :sad2: Trust me we looked into it.

:yay: Games: If you want to avoid your dog climbing the dining room table like a billy goat, you must spend your days thinking of games for him to play. My dog's favorite is hide and seek. You can play this by hiding somewhere and letting your dog find you, but that's harder because as an adult there are not as many places you can fit into to really hide.
The best thing to do is get one of his toys, show it to him, have him sit, and then walk away. But you have to walk all over the house before you hide it though. Otherwise he smells the ground and follows exactly where you walked to. So you have to walk all over the house THEN decide where to hide it. When you come back, he will go look for the toy.
He is smart, so he will look at all the previous places you hid it. If it was in the bathtub last time, that's the first place he will look.
It's not enough to just place the toy behind something to hide it, you really have to get creative. He will still find it amazingly fast, even if it is inside a box of Christmas decorations that has old sheets piled up on top of it in the back corner of the basement with the door shut...
There are other games too, but hide and seek is his favorite.
He also likes games like jumping through hula hoops, oh, and he LOVES going to the playground. You have to go very early before any kids are up. He climbs the rope net thingy, he even goes down the slide. Not kidding. But his favorite thing is being on top of the jungle gym...he likes to feel tall.

It is tiring and time consuming to spend all your time thinking of things for your dog to do. But you have to do it, because if you don't, he will find things to do for himself. And the things he finds to do are not things you want him to do.

We expected all this to last a couple of years till he became an adult and settled a bit.

This June we had his birthday party. He turned 12. He has ONLY SLIGHTLY less energy than he had as a puppy. Like, we don't have to watch him absolutely every second anymore. But we do still have to always know where he is and moniter him, and he gets into everything still.

Today, Sept 3, he has done the following things (so far):
-Hopped over the couch--no, not jumped on it, literally hopped clean over it- he was behind the couch, all of a sudden he jumped over it and was on the other side
-Knocked over my trash can because I forgot to move it, and tore everything to bits
-Wanted to sleep in another room so used his nose to push his bed into the other room
-Was let outside and came back inside with a potato in his mouth--still can't quite figure that one out...
-We had put the cats in one room with the baby gate because we didn't want them all over the house since we are painting, but our dog doesn't like the cats being cooped up, so he took it upon himself to open the baby gate--No, not knock it over, but actually push the button that unlatches the little door, so they could get out.
-Put his bone in our mailbox. :confused3

He is 12 but loves shredding things. We couldn't stop the behavior, so we use it to our advantage. He shreds our documents for us. He doesn't eat them, he just holds everything with one paw and pulls it apart into pieces with his mouth.

His favorite thing to chew is wood, you have to be careful with that. We don't plant trees or shrubs. His first summer with us, we planted a tree (where you plant the little two foot tall thing) but he went outside and ate it. He was let out at night before bed, but took a long time, finally I went out there with a flashlight and saw him chewing something. I got him to come in, and when I looked in the morning the tree was gone. It was down to a nub on the ground, he had stood there chewing it down to the ground, eating it.
(Speaking of trees, if you have any fruit trees, he enjoys that too- he will stand at an apple tree and chew the apples right off the branches. But his favorite fruits are oranges. We don't live in a place where we could orange trees, which he would really go crazy over).
Anyway, back to chewing wood, he ate our picnic table. Well , maybe I'm being dramatic. He ate the bench. We didn't want him eating wood, so we removed the picnic table and benches and put them in the garage.

And it is hard to keep up on these things because they are so FAST. And when he knows he's doing something wrong, he does it FASTER, because he knows you'll make him stop. It literally takes him seconds to destroy something, and often it takes a while to figure out what it was, because it's unrecognizable.

Why couldn't we stop some of his behaviors? We tried. Oh believe me we tried. :teacher:

We got books, but they were all too simple: be consistant, etc. Consistancy is SO IMPORTANT...but it's not enough. We needed specialized help.

We took him to dog school, where the instructor told us that our dog was distracting the other dogs with his antics, and wreaking havoc on his business. :snooty:

We took him to another dog school, further away, where the instructor very politely told us, "maybe he just isn't ready to learn yet" :upsidedow

At that point we thought we need more individualized special help. We hired a dog psychologist who told us that he had all of the extremes of the breed and "does not make a good pet". Um, we've noticed. :rolleyes:

We had private lessons from a dog trainer. She quit with no explanation. Not that we needed one. :rolleyes1

We had another dog trainer.
She began making excuses to not come, and finally she just blurted out, "I am so sorry for you, I just don't know how you can live with him twenty four hours a day!!" :rotfl:

Our next dog trainer said, "Look, training him as if he's a normal dog won't work. Most dogs we start training with treats, but we don't keep using treats forever, because we want them to learn to listen even when they're not getting a treat. But that won't work with him. He knows what to do, he won't do it. Whenever you want him to do something, you'll have to bribe him with treats. He won't do anything unless he can see a benefit for himself."

Oh, and I forgot to mention the houndy odor. Coonhounds smell funny, and their hair gets greasy. He will need a bath more often than other breeds.

And yes, their noises they make are long and carry far. Neighbors don't like it.

After all this, let me say that I love love love my dog and think he is the cutest, most special, most darling dog there is. :lovestruc

But would I get another one, or reccommend them to anyone else?? :scratchin

:faint: Not a chance.

I have a treeing walker coonhound. From reading coonhound's description of his coonhound I am wondering if I just got really lucky with my dog. He is about 2. Walt spends about 90 percent of his time sleeping. He is a sweet gentle big dopey dog that really loves to eat. He is good with all people. Has never met a stranger. We also have a dachshund and he gets along well with him. In the beginning of the spring, he did jump our 6 ft fence and roamed the neighborhood. It never happened again. He doesn't bark often but when he does it can be loud. The only negative I can even think of is that he does have a very distinct smell and sheds quite a bit. We don't let him on the furniture anymore and just try to vacuum everyday to keep up with the hair. We gated the stairs off so the dogs stay downstairs so the vacuuming isn't a big deal. Overall he is just an awesome dog. I will try to attach a picture. Hopefully it will work. Good luck op!
32293D08-D554-416C-B7DD-58040282A3E2-5005-0000041478CE41CC.jpg

7B364060-C665-4BF1-823A-57738FF12280-5005-0000041900B7E1D4.jpg

33F065FB-E4B4-4928-A858-8FB8CEE39E81-5005-00000418FB31896C.jpg

I have a treeing walker coonhound. From reading coonhound's description of his coonhound I am wondering if I just got really lucky with my dog. He is about 2. Walt spends about 90 percent of his time sleeping. He is a sweet gentle big dopey dog that really loves to eat. He is good with all people. Has never met a stranger. We also have a dachshund and he gets along well with him. In the beginning of the spring, he did jump our 6 ft fence and roamed the neighborhood. It never happened again. He doesn't bark often but when he does it can be loud. The only negative I can even think of is that he does have a very distinct smell and sheds quite a bit. We don't let him on the furniture anymore and just try to vacuum everyday to keep up with the hair. We gated the stairs off so the dogs stay downstairs so the vacuuming isn't a big deal. Overall he is just an awesome dog. I will try to attach a picture. Hopefully it will work. Good luck op!

I'd say it's probably more that Coonhound got unlucky than you getting really lucky. It sounds like Coonhound's dog coonhound qualities are all "extreme" when there are probably a lot more coonhounds out there whose qualities are more "average" altogether, or who have some extreme qualities and some average qualities.

I would definitely agree that they're super sneaky and stealthy, though! The mix I know can silently and stealthily open her pen and escape from her cube (at my office, people can bring dogs to work and they're contained in their owner's cubicles with exercise pens).

OP, if I were you, I would focus more on the individual dog you're looking at than what it's breed is. Not every dog that's the same breed is going to be the same.

My coonhound is NOTHING like the one "Coonhound" describes. Our Lily is a couch potato and would sleep all the do-dah-day if she could. She does not need to be watched ...BUT we did have to run a strand of hot-wire around our yard fence (a four foot picket) to stop her from kangaroo hopping over it.

Every single human who has met her instantly wants a coonhound. Of course, they haven't heard her baying at nothing all day. Hehehehe.

Coonhounds are dogs bred for WORKING though so you need to understand the breed. Our dog was clearly somebody's hunting dog, but I am pretty sure she was no good at at since she was spayed. A purebred bluetick is a very pricey dog and the females are usually left intact for breeding stock...unless they have no skills.

Here's our Lilly:

Lilly.jpg

None of my dad's coonhounds ever looked like the ones pictured here - maybe the key is to keep them well fed so they'll lay around :goodvibes

They were all high energy dogs, but Dad could wear them out. He'd hunt 2-3 dogs for a few hours starting at dusk, bring them home, and then run 2-3 others until the sun came up. The dogs might cover many miles in 1/2 a night however. They did spend a lot of time laying around during the day, though.

Okay I can talk more now.

My coonhound is adorable. But he has to be. If coonhounds weren't cute, no one would keep them. Seriously. <SNIP>

Your "Life with a Coonhound" made my day. :rotfl: Thanks for coming out of lurking to post this. (I'll never look at a rolling pin the same way!)

Why, thank you- so glad my tales of frustration and exhaustion can give you a chuckle ! Just kidding :lmao: if you enjoyed hearing about him, I think you'd really enjoy meeting him- I'd be glad to let you borrow him for a week or two or twenty. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter