What are you spending on vacation next year..

With little kids, I'd suggest focusing on the free Smithsonian attractions of Natural History, American History (Wonderplace and/or SparkLab would especially appeal), and/or Air and Space Museums...I'd also suggest the Air and Space Museum in VA over the DC one b/c you can watch the planes come into Dulles from that museum (which is cool for all ages). If you stay on the VA side, that's also an easy drive over for the day. Also, the Smithsonian Zoo, the Sculpture Gardens, and the US National Arboretum could be nice and would break up museum, museum, museum...

I'm not sure they'd love the White House/Capitol/Supreme Court/Archives...so I'd probably pass on those kind of attractions.

I might do the Bureau of Engraving and Printing b/c seeing money printed seems to be fascinating no matter the age.

I might also try to do something on the water...the Tidal Basin Paddle Boats could be nice if you come when the weather is good (they have boats for 2 and 4 - might be nice to have 1 adult with the littles and 1 with the teen)...it would be $48 for an hour without a deal (one $30/hour boat and 1 $18 hour/boat)...

I'd also do something for the kids - you could also do a VA Waterpark (Nova waterparks are pretty cheap and easy to get to and navigate), area mini golf, some of the regional parks, trampoline parks, Tyson's Corner Mall and shopping - check Groupon and Certifikid...just something so you are not just doing learning, learning, learning all the time...kids just sometimes need the decompression...

I'd also probably have you and the teen spend a night doing something without the littles...a Kennedy Center Show, a different theater show, one of the "Top Chef" restaurants, an escape room, ziplining, even a baseball game (if the littles hate it)...something so they are not always having to go by their siblings pace and so they know you planned for them to specifically have fun, too...

It can totally be fun and work for kids of all ages...just takes a little planning:)...

Wow! TwoMisfits, you rock! That is awesome,detailed information that I truly appreciate! Thank you, thank you,thank you!!

Wow! TwoMisfits, you rock! That is awesome,detailed information that I truly appreciate! Thank you, thank you,thank you!!

I would also suggest splitting up one day in DC and one parent goes with the younger kids and another goes with the older teen. That would be a great way to see some sights that the younger ones would not find interesting.

We like the Hyatt Place in DC. We usually stay at the National Mall location but there are three, one near the Capitol and another near the White House. Some people save money by staying closer to Alexandria but I hate the metro so I stay in town to walk or use Uber :). TwoMisFits had great suggestions! There is so much free stuff to do in DC.

We are in the early planning stages of a summer 2018 trip to Maine, so I'd welcome any suggestions.

Not sure if we will drive (22 hours) or fly into Boston and drive up. If we fly we'll go Southwest, and I may have a companion pass by then.
I've already looked at AirBnb and HomeAway and think I've found a great little cottage on Mount Desert Island.

This will be our "bargain" vacation year because like @Marionnette, I have a wedding to pay for, and in 2019 we are doing a Disney Cruise.

In April 2018 I have to go to Phoenix for a conference with the organization I volunteer for; when that's over I hope DH will fly out and spend a few days visiting the Grand Canyon together.

Nothing too exciting for us next year. Trying to keep costs down, go places close to home. But I'm still really excited for all these trips!!:yay:

1. February: Short weekend to Universal Hollywood- About $2000 for 3-4 nights for 5 adults. Hotel, food and tickets for 3, DD and boyfriend pay for own tickets, food
2. March: Dh and I go to Las Vegas in March for basketball tournament- already booked timeshare, $800 total for 4 nights total for food, gas and tickets. Don't gamble.
3. July: San Diego possibly in Summer- 4 nights $800 Stay 2 nights with my parents in their travel trailer, 2 nights in Temecula
4. October: Disneyland quick weekend in October $1000 3 nights, 2 day non hoppers(2 adults and our kids who are considered 2 adults + dd's boyfriend) Dd and boyfriend pay for their own tickets

We drive to Vegas and California. Try to stay in in-laws timeshare = free for us. Just need gas, food and tickets to Universal, basketball tournament and DL)
We always have $400-$600 in Disney Reward dollars
If we can't get timeshare add $700-$800 for hotel.

We used to have a big trip once a year (cruise, hawaii, NYC etc) plus a couple of smaller trips but our lives have gotten really expensive so we like to travel a few times a year and keep the trips shorter and cheaper and nearby. Got 1 in college and 1 will start next year.

Still trying to get THIS year's vacations planned. Amazing how much easier vacations are when your kids are adults and you aren't working around school schedules.
Santa Barbara area next week, hotel is $500. Probably drop several hundred on food and wine at the wineries. A free form vacation, other than the hotel booking NOTHING specific planned, just do the things that seem interesting when we get there. Then visiting friends later in the week, helping them paint their bathroom.
2 weeks off in December, absolutely nothing planned yet.

For next year, probably a lot. I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of $7k between the two of us. We're talking about Cuba in the spring and then a longer Europe trip in the fall. I may be able to squeeze a three day down to DLR at some point. I'm sure there will be a Costa Rica trip at some point in the year, likely more.

Planning and sticking to it really isn't my partner's forte...

I am a planner and tend to schedule far out in advance.

On the books so far we have -

Jan 2018 - 3 Nights in WDW - ($800)
July 2018 - 6 Nights in WDW for a Youth Baseball tournament at the Wide World of Sports - ($1040)
Sept 2018 - 11 Night Disney Cruise - Dover, England to NY ($6000 for the Accommodations with $4000 additional for travel and expenses like alcohol, port itineraries, spa, etc.)
Nov or Dec 2018 - Vegas - Big NHL fans so depends on when one of teams plays the Golden Knights ($2000)

I tend to plan overboard for any expense we could potentially incur (Microsoft Excel is my bff), and I prefer to overestimate the cost and then be pleasantly surprised when we come in under what we planned for because it allows for some extra disposable travel income.

Cheers!

Okay, I have our 2nd trip...it's gonna cost about $5K, but mom is coming with us, and we'll visit her on both ends of the trip, so I get to drop my mom visits budget and add it here:)...

I just booked a week long Anthem of the Seas cruise to Bermuda (with an extra stop in Boston) for $4.1K for 2 interior rooms for 3 (total of 6 people) w/ $100 OBC and $25 more for bringing a 1st time RCCL cruiser (my mom). It was a pretty awesome deal, so I jumped on it b/c with all the ruined eastern Caribbean cruise ports, Bermuda cruises will probably be in high demand:)...we'll drive up and stay at mom's both before and after, so no hotel cost. We're driving her to port, so we'll pay to park (thus, she also makes out)...with only 2 ports and one planned beach day, I'm planning about $300 for in port activities...so the budget is...

Cruise $4100 (on the nose - it's an interesting sale:))
Gratuities $560
Parking $140
Gas/Tolls $50
Port activities $300
Minus extra $125 OBC
On board activities $0 (we are discussing possible birthday gifts of the drink packages or a dining package...but that's it and that would be Xmas budget or birthday budget - we just cruised on Carnival a few weeks ago, and didn't have any costs, except grats and the prepaid drinks plan I bought my spouse last Xmas as his big gift, so we're just not the "bingo" or gambling type - my mom buys all the photos and then gives them to me, so I don't even have to buy that - heck, I have to stop her from spending money:))...
Total cost $5025

So, $8K budget will be $2750 for Niagara/Columbus/Pittsburgh and $5025 for the Bermuda/Boston cruise for $7775...so I'll still have $225 for gas/tolls/fast food to drive to visit mom probably twice more, since she's getting a fall week already (may need to skip Cracker Barrel and eat a little more McD's:)...but I am VERY excited b/c the Anthem has some amazing amenities and they are included:)...

SO EXCITED! Cruise fare just went down $1K!! RCCL would only give me back $700 b/c it wasn't a new booking, but I have $700 back for a cruise that I didn't think would go down at all - SCORE!! Guess if we buy hubby the drink package, that may not have to be a Xmas present anymore:)...and more money to splurge elsewhere!

EDIT: I got the full $1K now! So, my cabins are $3072 with $100 OBC...woo hoo!!

Last edited:
The only trip set in stone for next summer so far is Disney, and we expect to spend about $6k.

We are in the early planning stages of a summer 2018 trip to Maine, so I'd welcome any suggestions.

Maine is beautiful!

Bar Harbor/Mt Desert Island and Acadia National Park are gorgeous. The Travelin Lobster has amazing lobster rolls!

Bangor was nice too. Go to the Sea Dog restaurant. There's a really nice river walkway. Just a cute place to walk around and explore.

Have fun! I'm excited that our local airport (that has grown over the past few years) now goes to Bangor direct!

Not sure if we will drive (22 hours) or fly into Boston and drive up. If we fly we'll go Southwest, and I may have a companion pass by then.
I've already looked at AirBnb and HomeAway and think I've found a great little cottage on Mount Desert Island.

This will be our "bargain" vacation year because like @Marionnette, I have a wedding to pay for, and in 2019 we are doing a Disney Cruise.

In April 2018 I have to go to Phoenix for a conference with the organization I volunteer for; when that's over I hope DH will fly out and spend a few days visiting the Grand Canyon together.

We drove about 4K miles RT to Bar Harbor, Kennebunk, Cape Cod, and Boston. We tent camped everywhere but Boston, it was a great trip. We went in May and it was 40 degrees, and we froze. We might go back next August, avg temps are high 70s.

We are booked for the middle two weeks of July for a condo at Hilton Head. We will most likely do Disney too in November, but that isn't actually booked yet.

January Disney Trip - this one will have my birthday in the middle of it! Studio at Boardwalk.
Open for the Spring - no solid plans yet. But we like to go camping in May and June before it gets too hot around here.
July 4th week - Hilton Head Island Disney Resort in a 2 bedroom with grandchildren and their parents.
Beach trip to Ocean City, Maryland late July and maybe another one a couple of weeks later - we are in Maryland and just a couple hours away. Family will probably come.
Mid to late September Cape Cod for a few nights and maybe a night or two in Newport or Boston.
Another early November Disney trip for Food and Wine.
Thanksgiving may be in the South next year. No solid plans.
Christmas at home and we will start the cycle all over again.
Costs will vary but my budget is cash 10K and I use a lot of credit card rewards and discounted gift cards. I also own DVC and have a stash of Disney tickets non expiry purchased a few years ago, plus left over water park tickets so my Disney trips are dues, transport and food.

No plans, after a big trip this year and uncertain activity and school schedule.
Lately the idea of Bermuda sounds interesting. Definitely no Disney next year though.

I think our trip to Europe is going to get more expensive! Originally, it was going to be 5 out of 6 of us going, because DS20 was going to need to take a summer class (required for his major). Well, now it looks like he's changing majors, and might be available to go after all. I would love to do it as a complete family unit, so I will find the money. The problem now is, DS20 isn't sure he wants to go! Before you all recoil in horror (what kind of idiot would turn down a trip to Europe?!?), He has Asperger's, social anxiety, and a few other things going on. So new experiences and crowds really aren't his thing. But I pointed out, on this trip, he's be with Mom and Dad--we're happy to just sit on a bench with him, if that's what he needs. Plus, the trip includes many things he'd like (the scavenger hunt through the Louvre, being a London Detective, the after-hours Vatican tour, etc.).

He's also concerned about his siblings bickering--a valid issue, to be sure. We get that at home for free. I thought we'd book 3 double rooms--he could share with his 11yo brother, or if that got to be too much, I could bunk with DS11, and DH could share with DS20.

No matter how you slice it, though, we're going to be like the Clampetts take on Paris, so it'll be interesting.

We typically only do one big vacation every other year. This year we had two - Hilton Head with my family in June (basically just payed for gas and some food) and Disney next month (2 adults, 9 nights, gas, food, souvenirs, etc. for under 3k). So next year we just plan on taking a few long weekends to my family's cabin in northern Wisconsin which will just cost us gas and some food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter