What Are You Reading Right Now? Part II (Incomplete book list in 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Book Thief remains one of the most compelling books I've ever read, and I've re-read it because the characters became a part of my thoughts nearly every day.

I also loved Water for Elephants.

The Hunger Games was my favorite of the trilogy, but I really enjoyed all of them (and have a countdown to the movie on my calendar. ;) )

I just re-read a Kindle book that I read in October that was just the sweetest and sometimes most heartwrenching love story. Unfortunately, the Kindle version I got for free has so many typos in it that many may be too annoyed to get through it, but believe me, it is worth it. It is called "Taking Shots" by Toni Aleo.

I've been reading a lot of free Kindle books and am trying to decide what to buy now with an Amazon gift card.
I loved The Book Thief & also Water For Elephants. I am reluctant to read The Hunger Games because I'm not a big sci-fi fan.

Have yet to read Harry Potter, although I started reading it with my DD's when they were younger. Finally go to the point that they could read it on their own so I let them.

Do you (or anyone else) recommend that I give it a shot?

I finished, Scared to Death, by Wendi Corsi Staub. I thought it was pretty well done. I was way off base. I didn't know who the perp was. Ofcourse I found out it was a trilogy and I read it out of order. Oh well.

I'm going to read, Live to Tell, and then, Hell to Pay, by her as well. I usually like to reserve Wendi Corsi Staub books for summer reading, great thrillers for the beach. But I was in the mood.

I haven't been in the mood to start, Steve Jobs. It's so huge. And while I'm interested, I just can't can't get started yet.

Quoting myself because I'm too lazy to type out the titles right now. This is a great trilogy if you are into mysteries. It has been on the New York Times bestsellers. A reviewer on the jacket stated she couldn't put it down and I agree. Very suspenseful.

I'm about 2/3rds done with, Live to Tell.
Scared to Death was good, but because that was *supposed* to come second. So I already know some of the outcomes in this book, just not how the outcomes unfolded. Still interesting and suspenseful. Looking forward to the last installment, Hell to Pay. I have it on deck.

I loved The Book Thief & also Water For Elephants. I am reluctant to read The Hunger Games because I'm not a big sci-fi fan.

Have yet to read Harry Potter, although I started reading it with my DD's when they were younger. Finally go to the point that they could read it on their own so I let them.

Harry Potter and The Hunger Games are my all time favorites!!! I plan to read them all again ASAP. HP starts out a little slow for me with the first 2 books (more for kids), but really picks up as you go along. The last two were hard to read thru my tears sometimes. Fantastic books. :thumbsup2

I am reluctant to read The Hunger Games because I'm not a big sci-fi fan.

I was too, but I ended up loving it. :goodvibes You don't need to like sci-fi to like this book. Give it a shot, you might end up surprising yourself.

Right now, I'm reading Christmas At Timberwoods by Fern Michaels. It's alright for the most part. Not a typical Christmas novel, heh.

DH and I finally saw The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo movie this week. Really good! Made me want to read the last two books again. :thumbsup2

I hadn't thought of the Hunger Games as Sci-Fi. I don't read Sci-Fi or Fantasy -- at all. Just cannot bring myself to enjoy those genres, for some reason. HG was a genre unto itself. I think you might want to give it a try. I think it is becoming a part of our pop culture and it is one of those books that many will read because "they should" and then love it. Everyone to whom I've recommended the book has thanked me for getting them to read something that wasn't otherwise on their radar but which they enjoyed.

Oh, and I read all the HP books because my son was reading them and I wanted to know what he was reading. I really enjoyed them for their creativity and the overarching themes of friendship, loyalty and determination. :goodvibes

DH and I finally saw The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo movie this week. Really good! Made me want to read the last two books again. :thumbsup2
Saw that movie a few weeks ago & really enjoyed it also. I have to read the other 2 books before those movies come out now also.

I've decided I will give The Hunger Games a try, but it might not be for a while. We have a few out of town trips planned & even though I know it sounds dumb, I prefer to take my Nook or IPad to read on instead of lugging around books, so I'll wait until our travel is done before starting them. One of my DD has all 3 of them in paper book form.

Saw that movie a few weeks ago & really enjoyed it also. I have to read the other 2 books before those movies come out now also.

I've decided I will give The Hunger Games a try, but it might not be for a while. We have a few out of town trips planned & even though I know it sounds dumb, I prefer to take my Nook or IPad to read on instead of lugging around books, so I'll wait until our travel is done before starting them. One of my DD has all 3 of them in paper book form.

I thought the last GwtDT books were better than the first. It has just been so long since I read them that I can't remember what happened! The movie made me want to remember, so I guess I'll read them again... :upsidedow

Let us know what you think of The Hunger Games. Once I started I couldn't stop!!! I read all three books in a weekend. I'm so excited... the movie comes out the day after my birthday!!! AND they filmed some in Shelby, NC. My in-laws live there, so we spend lots of time visiting. I can't wait to see the Shelby scenes!!! :goodvibes

I finished reading Best Friends by Martha Moody this afternoon. It was a good book, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Yes! I recommend that you give Harry Potter and The Hunger Games a shot. I think the first couple of HP books are written more for children, but as the characters age, the story lines darken and deepen.

As for The Hunger Games, I never looked on that series as sci fi. It's more of a "what if." The author did an interview I caught on a podcast a couple of years ago, and it was so interesting to listen to. She explained how she came up with the idea, and it was fascinating!

Read them, and see for yourself! That's one thing I've learned from this thread... try everything. I've read so many books recommended here that I wouldn't normally have picked for myself. Some were winners, and some were losers, but I feel richer for having read every one!

Read them, and see for yourself! That's one thing I've learned from this thread... try everything. I've read so many books recommended here that I wouldn't normally have picked for myself. Some were winners, and some were losers, but I feel richer for having read every one!
GREAT advice! I'm so happy I found this thread! :cloud9:

Just a few chapters into "Away" by Amy Bloom.

Really good and I had no idea Amy Bloom wrote for adults as well:confused3

One of the great finds while wandering around the Strand bookstore.

I am a little more than halfway through Unbroken. What a great book! I'm anxious to see what happens next. And this may sound naive but I had NO IDEA how brutal the Japanese soldiers were.

After this I'm going to try my first audio book, Nicholas Sparks' The Best of Me.

I'm also reading a very non-Disney version of Peter Pan to DS10 at bedtime every night. :scared1:

You are so right. If I would have "listened to my head" & what I only thought I enjoyed I would have never picked up The Kite Runner or Water for Elephants, which were both fantastic books.

I am a little more than halfway through Unbroken. What a great book! I'm anxious to see what happens next. And this may sound naive but I had NO IDEA how brutal the Japanese soldiers were.
I felt the same way. I recently finished it & could not believe what these guys went through. I was actually embarrassed for myself that I was so naive about this party in history.

I'm still reading The Kitchen House. I am enjoying it. It took me a few chapters to get in to it & realize that they were jumping between 2 characters that were narrating.......probably because there was/is something going at my business & while I read to get away from all of that, I guess it was just weighing on my mind too much. I finally told myself to turn it off when I opened the book (LOL......IPad, actually!).

I finished "Elvis Has Not Left the Building." If not for the Elvis twist, it would have been a fairly standard mystery. Also, I had a hard time identifying the main character as Elvis. If he didn't proclaim "I am Elvis Presley" on every page, he could have been anyone.

Just started "11/23/63."

Just finished Mockingjay last night. I really liked this series. I would not deem it Science Fiction. I think it falls under that "Dystopia" genre, where we've moved into the future into a different type of society....Aren't some of the Margaret Atwood books like that? The Forest of Hands and Teeth was kind of the same. Basically, the world went bad, there was probably an awful war, society reformed and tried to change the way it functions for the betterment of all the members.

Has anyone else read The Host by Stephenie Meyer? That is another book that I will probably re-read. I loved it! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter