What are DVC owners doing with expiring points?

We had 10 points left to expire at the end of January and used them to do a private rental through a Facebook page for someone who needed 1 extra night. We have never rented before and put the price really low, knowing the trust/risk involved on both sides. Everything went fine, but if I was to do a larger amount of points I would do a contract.

So totally not worth it for a small amount of points. Thanks.
As MS explained it to me, the $95 was only charged when you book an RCI resort, and there was no fee to transfer points into RCI. The transfer had to be done 45+ days before points expiry date though.

Mine rented out really fast with Davids. I think perhaps it may have been because of your only 76 points. I had made two separate reservations to use all my points up and each were for a studio (one at poly and one at kidani) and both were for just over 90 points. I bet they didn't try yours because most reservations are likely over 76 points that they have requests for (I have no knowledge of this but that would be my guess). Perhaps the disboards has more weekend renters rather than full weekers
The same here. I had 100 points (BRV) expiring on Nov 30, 2021. I contacted David’s and within two days, 97 of them were rented @ $16.50/point. As Mel had stated, People had complained about David’s reaction to Covid, but other companies did also. I purchased cancellation insurance through CAA in Jan 2020 for a Jan 2021 Maui condo and they are making me jump through hoops. The insurance was purchased before Covid was even thought of.

The same here. I had 100 points (BRV) expiring on Nov 30, 2021. I contacted David’s and within two days, 97 of them were rented @ $16.50/point. As Mel had stated, People had complained about David’s reaction to Covid, but other companies did also. I purchased cancellation insurance through CAA in Jan 2020 for a Jan 2021 Maui condo and they are making me jump through hoops. The insurance was purchased before Covid was even thought of.

Hello. I just rented out points for the first time and actually had a great experience. I am curious however how you received $16.50/pt. Mine were rented at $20/pt and Davids took their share at $4.50 leaving me $15.50. Did you negotiate the commission?

Hello. I just rented out points for the first time and actually had a great experience. I am curious however how you received $16.50/pt. Mine were rented at $20/pt and Davids took their share at $4.50 leaving me $15.50. Did you negotiate the commission?
depending on which resort or within a time frame.....the VGF and a few others get the $1 per point more, before 7months out. If within 7months they all get the same.

[/QUOTE

I am sorry and apologize. My points WERE rented out at $15.50 and not $16.50. I just looked the agreement now

We have decided to just bank our 2020 points this year and not transfer them out then hope for a vacation before November 30, 2020 and if not we will just rent the 2020 points out and bank the 2021. So happy we upgraded the one night in Oct 2019 to a value 1 bedroom that used up all of our remaining 2019 points.

I had banked 2019 points that were set to expire on May 31/21. I used the rent /trade board here on the Dis and rented them out with three days of posting. The process was very smooth (I had them sign a contract, payment via PayPal) and I was very happy to have it taken care of so quickly.
What contract did you use? I think I will try to rent my points this year.

I searched around online and ended up modifying the contract that the DVC rental store uses. It was easy to send it to the renter, have them sign it and send it back. I felt better having things in writing.

I searched around online and ended up modifying the contract that the DVC rental store uses. It was easy to send it to the renter, have them sign it and send it back. I felt better having things in writing.
Thanks

I am in the middle of a transfer right now. I put the points up on friday, and by sund had intrest. will complete transaction today.
Did you use a contract? How the payment is done ? Do the buyer pays upfront , after , 50/50?

Did you use a contract? How the payment is done ? Do the buyer pays upfront , after , 50/50?
so I have never used a contract....pretty hard to enforce with most buyers in the USA, and small claims court not worth it IMHO. Now lots do and feel safe about it,,,just not for me,,so I dont want to sway you .
I do payment with paypal, friends not service then there is no fees collected by paypal. Also paypal does not do anything that is related to timeshares, so again no reason to pay fee.
Depending on the buyer, most I have pay upfront and then as soon as the fee is there, the points are exchanged. Or if doing a reservation, I book in and give them a few days to transfer the money. This is ok since I control the reservation and cancel it if no money. I have been letting reservations do 50-50 with the last half being due 45 days out, and still within my banking window. This lets me cancel if they dont pay, never had and issue, lets them not put all up front, and if they need to cancel my points do not go into holding.
hope this helps, ask all the questions you want

so I have never used a contract....pretty hard to enforce with most buyers in the USA, and small claims court not worth it IMHO. Now lots do and feel safe about it,,,just not for me,,so I dont want to sway you .
I do payment with paypal, friends not service then there is no fees collected by paypal. Also paypal does not do anything that is related to timeshares, so again no reason to pay fee.
Depending on the buyer, most I have pay upfront and then as soon as the fee is there, the points are exchanged. Or if doing a reservation, I book in and give them a few days to transfer the money. This is ok since I control the reservation and cancel it if no money. I have been letting reservations do 50-50 with the last half being due 45 days out, and still within my banking window. This lets me cancel if they dont pay, never had and issue, lets them not put all up front, and if they need to cancel my points do not go into holding.
hope this helps, ask all the questions you want
Yes it helps a lot.

I ran into this with some banked 2019 points that I had to get rid of earlier this month. Used the boards here to rent out the 250 points I was about to lose and they were gone within a couple of days. Really simple and I preferred it to dealing with Davids (who I've used in the past as a renter but am no longer interested in doing business with). All of my renters paid via paypal upfront and it was a really great experience.

So just an update. My person who wanted the transfer backed out,,,other reasons..no biggy,,refreshed my rental to top of the boards by just posting,,,bump,,,,had all rented out by days end...so lots of demand still.
And the 2 rentals are both for before May with one in less than 30 days,,,so pay upfront,,no issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter