What are DVC owners doing with expiring points?

Canadian Girl

DIS Veteran
My daughter and I own two small contracts at AKL we are still paying for. One has 60 banked points expiring at the end Nov. 2021. We live in Atlantic Canada and there is only one RCI resort east of Quebec we could use it for and it seems pretty impossible we can use it at WDW before it expires. How easy is it to rent points out and how does that work for Canadians? The situation in Canada and south of us is really depressing.

Good Morning

I am an amateur at this but I am willing to try and share some information I have gathered.

1. You can not transfer points to another member if they are banked points.

2. You can *rent* out a dedicated reservation you have made.
You simply made a reservation using your points under your account & name and then list it for X number of dollars.

3 The sponsor of this board does not handle Canadian dedicated reservation due to some Tax Id number issue.

4. I don't know if the DIS boards allows dedicated reservation rentals?
Maybe someone else can comment or you could email the rental board moderator and ask.

5. This is what I have been doing for the past 2 years.
I make a reservation for a time period that I think might be popular for local residents of Orlando.
(Easter/March Break/Christmas/New Year etc.)
I then email David's Vacation club rental and ask them to rent out the reservation.
They charge $4.50 per point for their service,, so if you list at $19.00 per point you will receive $14.50 per point.
They then contact you when someone is interested and you accept or decline.
If you accept you call the 1-800 DVC number and follow the email from David's to change the name only on the reservation.
David's will then send you 70% of the amount (withholding 30% until check in date).
You will need a PayPal account for the money to be transferred into. (USD are paid).

Make sure you are comfortable with David's rental contract before committing.
I am holding the funds aside until after the check in date just in case Disney shuts down their parks and then issues can happen.
Yes I know some people had issues with David's Rental in the past (due to Covid and Resort closure but that happened in all travel industries).
David's is located here in Canada (London Ontario).
Have a look around his site
https://dvcrequest.com/
Best Wishes
Mel

Last edited:
As always, Mel hit the nail on the head. Just a few finishing taps. Dis does not allow dedicated reservations.
But as long as you have been on the boards long enough and have enough comments, not too hard, you can post for free.
You post your resort, how many points to rent(sometimes allow a buffer of 10%) and the cost per point. Agree on how to pay and when payment is needed. The pins at the top are very good on the rent/trade boards.
Its not that hard and usually rents quicker then thru a broker and for more money.

I also have points expiring this year that I can't bank.

I am going to deposit it into RCI.

Does anyone know if there's a deadline to keep your points in RCI?

I’m Canadian and put expiring points in RCI back in August. There was no $95 fee, and the points will now expire on Dec 31, 2022 (I understand that is always the end (Dec 31) of the second year after you deposit the points, as opposed to two years from the date you make the deposit). There are a few decent RCI resorts out there (we are big fans of the Hilton Grand Vacation Club properties), so that may be an option for you.

I rented mine out with Davids DVC rental. It worked out great. Rented out really fast, easy and a good rate ($14.50 per point as I own SSR, some resorts are $15.50 I believe). I had some banked points I rented out and also I rented out most of my 2020 points (August use year). If I can go anywhere next winter (fingers crossed) I will use 2021 points and borrow from 2022 for any more that I need. I didn't realize until I did it but Davids is actually located in London Ontario

I’m Canadian and put expiring points in RCI back in August. There was no $95 fee, and the points will now expire on Dec 31, 2022 (I understand that is always the end (Dec 31) of the second year after you deposit the points, as opposed to two years from the date you make the deposit). There are a few decent RCI resorts out there (we are big fans of the Hilton Grand Vacation Club properties), so that may be an option for you.
I was told by MS last week that there is the $95 fee now, and same about the Dec 2022 expiry but they also said you can pay a fee to extend the points for another year.

I had my points with David's for about 4 months but no hits on them at all. (I had 76 points for VGF expiring July '21) I decided to post them for rent on the disboards forum and I had all 76 points rented out less than 48 hours after posting them. I have a 50% deposit now and the rest is due on check in date. You have to trust the buyer a bit, but they have to trust the seller even more, so I feel its pretty safe.

Heck, even if they never sent me the other 50% on check in date, its better than having them expire and getting nothing for them.

When we purchased DVC in 2014, I didn't think in a million years that we would ever have to rent them out. But at least now I know it can be done, but hopefully doesn't have to again.

We are trying to decide now what to do with our 2020 points and leaning towards transferring out a potion of them as we do not think we will travel to 2022 and going through potential vacations we will not need them all.

I was told by MS last week that there is the $95 fee now, and same about the Dec 2022 expiry but they also said you can pay a fee to extend the points for another year.
So do you have to pay the $95 fee every time you deposit? If I deposit my expiring points now, and then have to add more expiring points in 2021/2022, do I have to pay the $95 fee each time? I was under the impression the $95 fee was for when you book something. I never paid much attention as it was never my intention to use the points for RCI.

So do you have to pay the $95 fee every time you deposit? If I deposit my expiring points now, and then have to add more expiring points in 2021/2022, do I have to pay the $95 fee each time? I was under the impression the $95 fee was for when you book something. I never paid much attention as it was never my intention to use the points for RCI.
I'm pretty sure you pay for each deposit but then you also pay for each reservation you make. At least that's what I understand from reading the TUG boards.

Damo just posted on another thread about being an RCI owner so hopefully will see your question. For some reason I can't tag. :(

I'm pretty sure you pay for each deposit but then you also pay for each reservation you make. At least that's what I understand from reading the TUG boards.

Damo just posted on another thread about being an RCI owner so hopefully will see your question. For some reason I can't tag. :(
So totally not worth it for a small amount of points. Thanks.

I had banked 2019 points that were set to expire on May 31/21. I used the rent /trade board here on the Dis and rented them out with three days of posting. The process was very smooth (I had them sign a contract, payment via PayPal) and I was very happy to have it taken care of so quickly.

With RCI you don't pay for deposits if you are depositing an RCI week. You only pay when you book a trade. However, if you are depositing DVC points to RCI, I am sure there is a fee there somewhere. There always seems to be a fee there somewhere!

I had my points with David's for about 4 months but no hits on them at all. (I had 76 points for VGF expiring July '21) I decided to post them for rent on the disboards forum and I had all 76 points rented out less than 48 hours after posting them. I have a 50% deposit now and the rest is due on check in date. You have to trust the buyer a bit, but they have to trust the seller even more, so I feel its pretty safe.

Heck, even if they never sent me the other 50% on check in date, its better than having them expire and getting nothing for them.

When we purchased DVC in 2014, I didn't think in a million years that we would ever have to rent them out. But at least now I know it can be done, but hopefully doesn't have to again.

Mine rented out really fast with Davids. I think perhaps it may have been because of your only 76 points. I had made two separate reservations to use all my points up and each were for a studio (one at poly and one at kidani) and both were for just over 90 points. I bet they didn't try yours because most reservations are likely over 76 points that they have requests for (I have no knowledge of this but that would be my guess). Perhaps the disboards has more weekend renters rather than full weekers

60 points is fine, post them here on the Disboards DVC rent/trade forum and you will rent them no problem. Many renters are only looking for one or two nights in a studio anyway, just check the other posts to see what price they are renting at.
Make sure you read the yellow sticky posters at the top of the rent/trade forum, these will explain the process for you before you advertise your points. There are also sample contracts you can use if you want.

I only have 60 points to rent at AKL Maybe not enough for anyone to want.

Hi Hon
Since they are banked points I would.............................

Check and see what is available at AKV between Feb and next Nov?
I would see if you can make a reservation for the 60 points and then see if David's can rent it out for you.
OR
see post above mine (Ronaldo17).

Best wishes
Mel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter