What age do You go to the Parks alone?

Discussion in 'Teen Disney' started by mom42860, Jan 16, 2017.

1. mom42860

mom42860 <font color=FF99FF>I am still invisible<br><font c

Hi all, I have been searching the forums for advice on 2 teens (16 actually closer to 17) going to the parks alone and not having many results so thought I would come here. At what age were you going to the parks by yourselves? We are staying at CSR and I will be attending some convention events during the day. I was thinking they can get up a little later and take the bus to Epcot 1 day and Hollywood Studios another. I would have them come back to the resort to swim in the afternoon and we would head out together late afternoon. We also have 2 days where we would explore together before heading home. One of the teens is a Type 1 Diabetic with a pump so I want to be realistic when approaching her mom with this idea.

2. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

{moved reply off teen board}

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. Newsies

Newsies Headlines don't sell papes.

I was 16/17 when I was off to the parks by myself! Got a lot of "you all by yourself sweetie?"-s from bus drivers and attractions H/H, but had the time of my life. Disney makes it super easy to get around and the security is great, I never felt lost or unsafe.

Bridgett_Anna likes this.
  5. southjerseymom

southjerseymom DIS Veteran

I let my guys walk from Beach Club to Epcot our last trip. DD was 12 and DS was 14. Kind of pushing them out of the nest. No busses so I was happy with that. They went over for about 2 hours. Great bro and sis bonding but I think they were happy to come home to me and DH. Fast forward to last summer when I had to let DS go off to Philmont Boy Scout Reservation for 12 days with no contact for 8. Torture. But, got to give them those wings. They are the future.

6. PlutosRHM55

PlutosRHM55 Pluto's Prince (Haters back off!)

I went to Disney with my school's music department my Freshman year of high school (I was 14) and we essentially were in the parks on our own all the time. They wouldn't let us travel without a group, but we basically never ran into adults ever or had to be around them and honestly, with that Disney bubble thing going on (having the bus system, monorail, etc.) where you can always get where you need to go and have multiple ways of meeting up, there's no safer place out there to test the waters. This is also coming from someone who probably would be described as "still-attached-by-the-umbilical-cord". Also, when I was 16, I went on another school trip to NYC and we were on our own there a lot as well, no qualms about it (except when trying to figure out where certain meeting places were). They should honestly be fine, but it's all up to them on their comfort limits.

7. wdwRN

wdwRN Earning My Ears

My son is 14 and sometimes we have him alone with cousins at a different resort and sometimes we have him and his step-siblings (12,14). He has gone alone on transportation (monorail back to resort after EMH and buses to springs for dinner). Our typical day begins together, then the kids take off and do their thing at some point, we meet for dinner at Epcot or Springs, we watch a show/fireworks and they head off again for EMH. We've never had an issue and love that our kids feel comfortable/confident getting around and a bit of independence in a pretty well controlled environment. I rest confident (misplaced, maybe? but...no one tell me if so!) that if something very bad were to happen, they have traceable magic bands on.

8. thepiedpiper

thepiedpiper Earning My Ears

I am about 16 years old and I am allowed to be in the parks by myself as long as I keep my parents informed on what's going on. This Saturday I will be at the parks by myself for Dapper Day and I find it a really awesome experience!