What about Universal Studios?

Quinn_McFly

Earning My Ears
Hello, this is my first time. I will visit there at March 1-6 in FLA of Mega Convention at Orange County Convention Center so I will visit at IoA for one day. From what I gathered of US\IoA site
"Guidebooks for guests with disabilities, attraction scripts, complimentary staff interpreters and assistive listening devices are available for our hearing-impaired guests. Please call Guest Servies at (407) 224-6350 at least two weeks in advance for an appointement with an interpreter."
I'm profounded deaf understand ASL

So my questions
1) Do interpreter go anywhere with me or for the shows?
2) For example on Spider-Man ride do s\he sit with me and interpreter the storyline?
3) Can you explain what's role of Staff interpreters like why say "Staff"?
4) Does IoA have shows?

Im sure I will have some more questions anyway!

I am sorry that I can not answer your questions. I've done some research on IOA, but mostly what I found out is that it's a great park for people who love roller coasters and getting wet (so many of the rides involve water in some way).
I would call the number they provided (assuming that it is a number that you can use considering your disability) and ask them your specific questions as well as asking on this board (you also might ask on the Universal Board). Please, please let us know what they tell you and also give us a trip report when you return. Perhaps someone else here can provide more info. By the way, from my reading the only "show" seems to be Posidons Fury and that is more of an attraction -

Welcome, I don't know the answer to your question other than some things I have read where tbe writers thought the services for Deaf and HOH at Universal were very good. I believe they say "staff interpreters" because they actually have interpreters who work for US instead of just hiring from an interpretation service. THe articles I read also talked about having a regular schedule of shows that are interpreted (like on Monday and Wed, it's certain shows and on Tues and Thur other shows). I don't know if they still do that. The article also mentioned interpreters going with you - I think that's the part you have to arrange 2 weeks ahead.
I know that WDW uses a lot of reflective captioning where the text of the show is projected behind you and reflects off of a plexiglass panel that you hold for reading it. I would imagine some of the shows at US use it too and also clo sed caption TVs for some of the preshow parts that are shown on TV screens.
You might also want to post this on the Universal Board, if you haven't already. CLICK HERE to jump to the Universal/IOA Board.
When you find out something, we would really appreciate it if you posted what you find out. Obviously, we don't have enough info or we would be able to answer your questions better. Please let us know how things work out so we have "fi rst hand" experience to help the next person.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter