Westjet vs. Air Canada February 2020

apxstitch

Mouseketeer
This will be my second solo trip to WDW to take advantage of the super low resort price and canadian ticket offer. My first trip I flew with Air Canada Rouge and enjoyed it, I hadn't been on a plane in over 25 years so I was super nervous. I would like to try Westjet but I've heard not good things about them. I will be flying out of Toronto, choosing the earliest flight possible and the latest departure out of Orlando to maximize my 4 days of time in the parks.

Right now WJ is $327 return and AC is $348 return both of which I feel are excellent prices as my last flight at the end of Nov 2018 was $412 return.

Should I be booking the flight now or waiting for the price to possibly drop further? Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Hi Hon
Just my honest opinion.
I prefer to fly Westjet myself.
I find their seats to be more comfortable.
I do have a WestJet credit card which entitles me to earn westjet dollars that I apply to my flight purchase.
I also get free baggage fee with the card.
$327.00 sounds like a great price and I would personally book at that price now and not wait.
Have a great Holiday! (Solo is great because you get to do everything YOU want).
Regards
Mel

Hi Hon
Just my honest opinion.
I prefer to fly Westjet myself.
I find their seats to be more comfortable.
I do have a WestJet credit card which entitles me to earn westjet dollars that I apply to my flight purchase.
I also get free baggage fee with the card.
$327.00 sounds like a great price and I would personally book at that price now and not wait.
Have a great Holiday! (Solo is great because you get to do everything YOU want).
Regards
Mel
Thanks, I just booked with Westjet :)

I also prefer Westjet over Air Canada. We will be leaving MCO probably right around when you'll be arriving!

I really glad to see that you decided to go with WestJet! We prefer to fly with them and have had excellent service from them over the course of many years. Had a few issues with flight schedules but that's no different than any other airline. Curious as to what bad news you've heard about them?

Have a wonderful trip!

I've flown Rouge twice - once to MCO and once to PHX. The flights themselves were fine, but our MCO-YYZ flight got diverted (this was the year of the Ice Storm) and we had to wait in BUF for about 5 hours. Not fun for anybody.

WestJet I haven't had an in-flight issue yet, outside of the one time I got delayed in LGA, but like the BUF diversion this was out of the airline's control. I have the WJ card so I do try to take advantage of that where I can.

Air Canada is Air Canada. They have so many routes that you're bound to find people that hate flying them (but have no choice) and people that love them. But for a short trip down to Florida it's really not much of an issue going with them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you're really not going to regret going with either airline. They are, imo, better than what you can fly in the US, and as a former Continental Airlines employee it kind of pains me to say that.

I really glad to see that you decided to go with WestJet! We prefer to fly with them and have had excellent service from them over the course of many years. Had a few issues with flight schedules but that's no different than any other airline. Curious as to what bad news you've heard about them?

Have a wonderful trip!
I had heard that they often cancel flights and the seats were very small. It's such a short flight that the seat size doesn't really matter but I have an after hours event on the day I arrive so I'd like my flight to arrive on time (ish). I'll be flying out in the morning so it leaves a ton of time to get there. Now it's fingers crossed for no bad weather on our end on departure day! I'm so excited to be going again and doing a second After Hours event.

I had heard that they often cancel flights and the seats were very small. It's such a short flight that the seat size doesn't really matter but I have an after hours event on the day I arrive so I'd like my flight to arrive on time (ish). I'll be flying out in the morning so it leaves a ton of time to get there. Now it's fingers crossed for no bad weather on our end on departure day! I'm so excited to be going again and doing a second After Hours event.
what you will have heard about is when they release their winter schedule after people have already booked flights that will no longer be flying. But this isn't WestJet specific!!! They don't straight up cancel flights any more often than any other airline unless it's weather related and that will hit air Canada as well.
regarding the seats? We've never had any problem with their planes being comfortable but the ones air Canada uses for Florida aren't comfortable at all IMHO
you won't have any chance of your February being randomly cancelled at this point in time and if you're flying midweek, that last flight home is usually pretty quiet. Have a blast!!

The only comment about Air Canada Rouge is that the regular seats don't have a ton of room. It is fine for me as I am 5'2", but DH is 6'2" and his knees touch the seat infront. Last time he upgraded us so he'd be more comfortable (but of course that adds to the flight cost)

That is an AMAZING price. We just booked for February and paid $750/pp with WestJet. I couldn’t believe how much prices had risen since last year around the same time.

That is an AMAZING price. We just booked for February and paid $750/pp with WestJet. I couldn’t believe how much prices had risen since last year around the same time.
I'm glad I grabbed it when I did because the prices have gone up.

I book WJ or AC whichever is less. This time it is AC for the second week in February. I like the 6:30am AC flight but we live north and cant risk a snowstorm. Adding a night before (and possibly after) at a motel in Toronto, I might as well book a more expensive flight.

We prefer to fly WJ if we can but we have a lot of Aeroplan points so more often fly AC Rouge to MCO. We don't really like Rouge but - it's free. The first time we flew Rouge the seats were so close together DH couldn't put his legs in front of him - he had to sit with his legs splayed out and he's a shade under 6 feet. He was so uncomfortable. They seem to have improved that a bit but it's still not our favourite way to get there. But it's less than 3 hours so we put up with it. I find WJ service to be much more pleasant too.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I'm super excited to try WestJet and then I can compare both for future trips. Saying that I'd still probably pick the cheapest with the best flight times :)

We’re flying WestJet next year and this thread has made me feel so much better about flying with them - I was really nervous flying with a new (to me) airline.

Can I ask if anyone has experience flying TO Canada through Toronto with a connecting flight? We fly from NYC to Toronto then to Vancouver. Another thread has made me terrified that we won’t make our connecting flight in Toronto due to having to go through customs and security. We only have a 1 hour 40 minute layover there. WestJet customer service assured me it should be adequate time. Anyone with any relevant experience? Soothing words are greatly appreciated. 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!