Western Excursions question (cruise virgin)

KevinPage

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone :-)

MY wife and I are planning for the 7 day Western cruise in Janaury 2003.

The excursions Michelle posted, are those the official Disney ones? Do I have to book them in advance?

I have no idea how crowded a cruise ship is that time of year, nor if there is a mad rush to get off the ship and book them the same day you are at a port.

Also, is it usually best to schedule only 1 tour or whatever per island, as to not overdo it (hopefully this is not too vague of a question, as I have no idea how long you get at each place).

I was hoping for a relaxing vacation for a change (after all our WDW marathons) but it seems like there is TOO many options, I'll somewhat feel guilty for not taking advantage of more of them.

Finally, on most of the stops (never been to any of these places before) is there enough to do just walking around on our own or renting a bike, etc. (I don't want to get mugged or harrassed though:-)

I don't want to come off this cruise and say "damn I didn't see half the ship" or "I wish I looked around the islands more". Is it possible to do accomplish this without running ragged?

Kevin Page

First of all, didn't you know you can't say VIRGIN on this board?

All of the excursions in the brochure are arranged through DCL. You have the option to book them in advance, or do it when you get on the ship. They have an excursion talk (ie: sales pitch) on the ship. They do sell out quickly, so I doubt you will be able to book the day of the excursion-- I don't even know if it's possible.

Frankly, some of those excursions are over priced. I have been to the ruins at Tulum, and it is a total "Is that all I get for my money?" ripoff. It depends on what you want to do. There are bars-a-plenty on Key West and Cozumel. Definitely plan to hit the beach (at least) in Grand Cayman.

Do you have to do an excursion to have fun? Absolutely not. But you might feel like the only one without a date on Saturday night when you see everyone heading off the ship in the morning.

And I was just kidding about the VIRGIN thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter