Well, that didn't go just quite as planned ..... an Aug/Sept 17 Update 07/12

Welcome to America, most pizzas here are very doughy.

:rotfl: We quite enjoy them sometimes. Very different to what we are used to, so it makes for a nice change.

Which is exactly why I prefer them. You don't sit around waiting and stressing for them, they just happen and then you pick up the pieces.

And it's exactly the unpredictability that scares me. :scared1: But I go get that you are more used to them, growing up and living in California. :thumbsup2

Ugh. If nothing else you could have flown somewhere else in the US for a few days to get away!

To be honest, I'd rather sit it out at Disney, where they look after you well, than having to deal with finding flights, and accommodation. AND I was still sick, so a staycation with me spending lots of time sleeping off my cold sounded like a good idea. ;)

We hear about this all the time on the news how all the East Coast stores are bought out with people stocking up for hurricanes.

We could not believe HOW empty the shelves were. We had heard about it before as well, but seeing it for ourselves was something else.

Our Moonlight Magic experience wasn't quite so much fun as lines for some of the rides were still quite long. We didn't have a hurricane looming in the distance.

We have been to Moonlight Magic twice (AK and Epcot - with NO hurricane waiting in the wings) and both times lines were pretty short. Loved the fireworks at Epcot as well. Surprising that it was so different at DL.

I can't imagine such an easy ride on 7DMT, the line is always so long every time we've gone there!

Loved it! So much fun and we had some good times last vacation as well. ;)

They evacuated downtown St Augustine since it's below sea level. Thankfully we were able to get our DD on a flight home and get her a ride to Jacksonville right before they closed the bridges and airport. The sad part was the price gouging by the airlines :sad2:

Glad you got her home. That sounds like quite a close "escape". And yes, as always if there is some money to be made, there is always someone. :sad2:

EE in the dark is Amazing!

:thumbsup2

I'm glad you didn't have to change rooms

We were so happy to have a room and NOT to have to move. We thanked that CM a lot. And they were doing their best helping everyone.

We've only eaten dinner once at the Wave but enjoyed our meal.

We LOVE the Wave. I have it booked for dinner and breakfast for this summer. If you haven't tried it for breakfast, you definitely should. :goodvibes

I'm glad they car rental place was willing to work with you.

Firstly we were just happy to have made it without having to return it to the airport and then how lucky were we to be able to "get rid" of it right away. :thumbsup2

Finally caught up!

:woohoo: Time to post more updates! ;)

The Highway in the Sky dining tour looked delicious. What an interesting concept.

It was a nice experience and I was heartbroken that I couldn't enjoy it as much as I wanted because of constant coughing, so we repeated it the following year. :thumbsup2

And your hurricane preparations were a good idea. I can't wait to hear about the actual storm!

We knew what we had to do, as this was not our first hurricane that we experienced at Disney. We were lucky we found all the provisiones we needed and we knew that Disney would not let us starve. ;)

OOOOOH Cliffhanger!
I am kind of excited to read about staying throughout the storm.

Not to get ahead of myself, but we were as lucky as we were when we rode out Hurricane Charley at AKL with the position of our room. It was by far not as bad as it could have been.

Caught up again! That was nice of the car rental guy to wait for you...one less thing to worry about!

I could not believe my luck to have headed there and asked about returning. So happy he was willing to wait.

I do love WPE...great food and good prices for Disney.

As you know, we do too! The food is really good and Wolfgang is Austrian after all ........ ;)

Anxiously waiting to read what happened next!

More updates coming ........ (tomorrow, it's getting seriously late here)

Hope everything is ok with you and Thomas.

So interesting to see how Disney prepares for a serious storm.

Jill in CO

I always feel a bit awkward for people in that circumstance! Like, should I just ignore them, go up and talk to them even though I don't plan on getting a book, or what?

It was VERY awkward! They looked pretty lost being there all by themselves. On the other hand, their presentation was so focused on selling their cookbooks ........

Haha, funny enough I know exactly where we would be at the same time - walking our way around the WS approaching Le Cellier! I think that was the only real rain we got that afternoon at Epcot (it was our first park day, and my first EVER visit to a WDW park!)

Isn't it funny how we sometimes remember where we were when something like that downpour occurs? 🙃 We were lucky to get back to our resort without getting wet, hope you made it to Le Cellier. :thumbsup2

OK all caught up now. I'm glad you were able to return the rental car a day early and get everything squared away

That was something I really wanted to have done. Years before, when we stayed at AKL during Hurricane Charley we had just parked the rental in the self park lot and it only dawned on us that there could be damage done to it during the storm. Luckily there was NO damage to our car, but one a few cars down had been hit by a large branch and was damaged. No way we were going to chance it again.

I really like WPE, but have only eaten there twice. The time we had breakfast there it was inspired by you two! We really enjoyed the breakfast pizza and the breakfast calzone

I cannot even start to count the times we have eaten there, even though we have not been there as often as before, but that was because of the parking situation at DS during construction. We still love to dine there and I have it on my list during our Free Dining time. What a good value!
Unfortunately they no longer offer the breakfast pocket, which was one of Tom's favourites. But we still love the breakfast pizza!🍕

Maybe when we have a longer trip there we can go back. Nice having Beaches and Cream right there, although you may see on my TR that Fran has a weakness for Ample Creamery.....

We have always loved B&C - yummy food and I like the ice-cream. I know it is a brand one, but it tastes "American" to me. I was not a fan of the Gelato on the Fantasy - but then I like the Gelato they sell in Italy and I think I might have just imaged it to be just like it.
We are staying at YC and BCV this summer, so I guess a visit to Ample Hill Creamery can be accomplished.
;) :thumbsup2

Hope everything is ok with you and Thomas.

Ah, thank you, Jill! Everything is back to normal, but it was a bit rocky (health and workwise) for a while. :sad2:

So interesting to see how Disney prepares for a serious storm.

First time around (during Charley) we didn't pay much attention, just were amazed to see the amount of sandbags around the hotel, but this time with being able to spend time so close to Epcot and knowing what to expec tit really was interesting to see all their preparations.

I haven't read beyond the first post or two, and I was needing a "book" to read during lunch. After grandkids today, I'll be ready for a cup of coffee and a good read.

Thank you for putting so much time into this.

I haven't read beyond the first post or two, and I was needing a "book" to read during lunch. After grandkids today, I'll be ready for a cup of coffee and a good read.

Thank you for putting so much time into this.

:welcome:
Sorry that my welcome comes so late ........... the end of the school year takes its toll.
And thanks for taking the time to read.
:goodvibes

Great updates. Don't worry...I am always behind and have times where I can't get on for days or weeks.

I remember watching the storm hit key west. And we just think the news guys are nuts. I can't help but laugh when they get hit by something...as long as they aren't seriously hurt.

Interesting to see the precautions that Disney took. But some of it just doesn't look strong enough. Some of the tie downs look like plastic and I would think a full on storm could easily make objects break free from that.

This is just the most interesting trip report--from the Lufthansa business class (JetBlue, it ain't!) to the Disney Cruise, to all the dining reports and photos---how FUN and INTERESTING this is to me! Thank you for doing this. And now, Hurricane Irma, hunkered down at Disneyworld, WOW! So many unique experiences that I can vicariously experience through your trip report. I will likely never fly outside the United States, nor take a cruise, but it sure has been fun tagging along with you through your trip report.

Can't wait to read the rest. Love this report! Thank you, again. :sunny:

i-T9Vbh55-L.jpg

Those shrimp look tasty

Definitely need to get this!

Three Caballeros ride

Still embarrassed we haven't ridden this

I do love chocolate but not that much :eek:

Back in our well stocked room

i-Tbd886z-L.jpg

Oh yea all the necessities :drinking1

Little ducky like finally I can swim in peace :rotfl:

that this treat was on Mickey.

Very nice!

our request of being seated on the middle glider.

Always the best

Finally school is out and I get to finish up this TR.

Great updates. Don't worry...I am always behind and have times where I can't get on for days or weeks.

Those last few weeks of school didn't leave much time for anything else. Thankfully I am looking forward to 9 weeks of holiday bliss. :cheer2:

I remember watching the storm hit key west. And we just think the news guys are nuts. I can't help but laugh when they get hit by something...as long as they aren't seriously hurt.

There is nothing else you can do other than watching TV. :lmao:And it was especially interesting as we had driven through Miami coming from the Keys a few times. And it always amazes me the hardship those reporters sign up for, being pushed around by the storm. It's a miracle no one gets hurt when the wind and rain kind of blow them away.

Interesting to see the precautions that Disney took. But some of it just doesn't look strong enough. Some of the tie downs look like plastic and I would think a full on storm could easily make objects break free from that.

I am not sure my pics do it justice, but most things were tied down pretty good. When we were allowed to leave the resort again, there was very little damage all around.

This is just the most interesting trip report--from the Lufthansa business class (JetBlue, it ain't!) to the Disney Cruise, to all the dining reports and photos---how FUN and INTERESTING this is to me!

and thank you for reading and your kind words.
We have not been on JetBlue (coming from Europe) but we tried Southwest and it's "different". :rolleyes1
It was planned different but with the storm it turned into a nice long vacation, cruise and all.

And now, Hurricane Irma, hunkered down at Disneyworld, WOW! So many unique experiences that I can vicariously experience through your trip report.

I would not have liked to face the storm anywhere else but a Disney resort. We stayed at AKL during Hurricane Charley, years back, and we knew we would be safe there and well looked after.

I will likely never fly outside the United States, nor take a cruise, but it sure has been fun tagging along with you through your trip report.

Never say never. ;) There are lots of places to discover outside the US and cruises are fun. But I am happy to have you "come along" with us.

Can't wait to read the rest. Love this report! Thank you, again. :sunny:

I know it's been a while, but the end of the school year gets more busy the older I get. I really cannot wait to retire to have more time for the things I love, like writing TRs.
Hope to finish up this TR soon.

I do love chocolate but not that much :eek:

I am all with you! I refuse to pay more than one Euro per bar, and that price is just too over the top. BUT, if you get a chance to find a cheaper bar of Milka - it's sooooooooooo good!

Oh yea all the necessities :drinking1

And it was ALL Tom's!!! I don't drink any of that stuff. :laughing:

Little ducky like finally I can swim in peace :rotfl:

It used to swim in the pool before and after the storm. It was funny to see how used that little duck was to all the people in the pool. :lmao:

I'm glad you're back! I been following along and waiting for an update. We were at Disney for a hurricane back in September of 2004. It's amazing what Disney does to lessen the impact on their guests.

So happy school is out and you can get back to fun!

Can't wait to see you and Tom next month!

Jill in CO

i-4BWLd2x-L.jpg

Day 20, September 10

Meeting Miss Irma - part 1

There was no reason to get out of bed early today, so by 8am we just peeked out the balcony and it was windy and raining,

i-W3JHfwb-XL.jpg

so we crawled back into bed.

i-fZTd8Dc-L.jpg

We only got up at around 10am, had some breakfast and then retreated to watching TV.

We hadn’t lost power like others like our friend Michelle had, so we spent most of the day in front of the TV.

i-8VcdGk6-L.jpg

i-bV3Hpjt-L.jpg

i-QGZqKDz-L.jpg

In the late afternoon we realized that it would be the perfect time to do some laundry, so we sorted out our laundry and put in two loads.
And since we were already wandering around we went down to the ground floor and found that they allowed people to go from the Villas to the hotel. We walked over, Beach Club Marketplace was open, but they did not sell any souvenirs, they only had the little section with groceries open and that looked pretty empty, so we went towards the main lobby as we could hear quite a bit of noise coming from there.

Turns out they were playing games in the lobby and there were quite a few characters about to meet and mingle with guests.

i-z2vXr6J-L.jpg

We stayed for a while, but then went back to look if our laundry was done and came across a makeshift food “store” in Villa 102. We went and had a look at what it looked like and you had two cast members preparing food in the villa’s kitchen, packaging it and then selling it.

i-4nsKh3j-L.jpg

i-6XGBrN9-XL.jpg

i-4h7q7p3-L.jpg

We had no need for it, so we headed upstairs to the laundry room where we found that our laundry took just a little longer, so we sat in the laundry room for a few minutes until it was done and could be transferred to the dryer.
Once both loads were drying we went back to our room to watch some more TV.

And after the laundry was dry and folded and put away, we had a nice leisurely dinner while the wind was howling outside. There was nothing else to do, so we watched some movies until we fell asleep again.

To be continued ........

I'm glad you're back! I been following along and waiting for an update.

So sorry for being absent for so long. Finally I am on holiday ..... so there should be more updates coming soon.

We were at Disney for a hurricane back in September of 2004. It's amazing what Disney does to lessen the impact on their guests.

We have been through a few (Fay, Charley, Irma) over the years and there is no better place to weather the storm than at Disney. They DO take great care of their guests.

So happy school is out and you can get back to fun!

You have no idea HOW happy I am. It has been nuts those last few weeks. :sad2: :laughing:

Can't wait to see you and Tom next month!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: Neither can we!!!!!!!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

i-4BWLd2x-L.jpg

Day 21, September 11

Irma was here- part 1

The worst of the storm had blown over during the night.

We had gotten up ever so often during the night and peeked out onto the balcony, but we seemed to have had another well protected room (like we had had when we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge during Hurricane Charley), where we could hear the wind howling all night, but apart from some broken branches we did not see a lot of damage, even though we were sure that there must be some.
We got up a little after 8am and got ready and then walked out onto the balcony to assess the damages.

i-L6b4JHP-L.jpg

i-n5ZnhVS-L.jpg

i-c3vtvNN-L.jpg

Not much to see from where we were, big puddles and lots of broken smaller branches, but that was it.

We made ourselves some breakfast, watching the news and putting in another load of laundry while we were glued to the TV.

Staying in had one good though. I had spent most of the time in bed and it had helped a lot with my still lingering cough.

In the early afternoon we opened a bag of prewashed and cut Romaine lettuce and mixed it with the croutons and dressing that came with it and had that together with some home-made sandwiches for lunch. Later that afternoon we watched news reports on what damages the storm had caused in some parts of Florida.

i-FpwLXhM-L.jpg

i-gLDxmzb-L.jpg

i-BWhMhpr-L.jpg

i-D6FDRS9-L.jpg

i-95dP7Xz-L.jpg

i-HVHThWR-L.jpg

i-483jVSR-L.jpg

i-FkLH675-L.jpg

i-XJNm6jt-L.jpg

i-bCDJ2Pt-L.jpg

i-9rNwhBD-L.jpg

There were always updates on the hotel page as well and we were happy to read that by 6pm we were no longer required to stay in our room.

i-K2wVzmw-L.jpg

i-F7mnW5h-L.jpg

At least we were allowed to walk around the resort for a bit and that was exactly what we did. We walked around the outside of the resort for a little while,

i-fXFGGxD-L.jpg

i-jSXfcjc-L.jpg

then returned to the main lobby where we ran into Donald who seemed to like my T-shirt.

i-G54VMHG-L.jpg

i-MvZvQFp-XL.jpg

i-dhDWZvw-XL.jpg

After we had returned to our room we did what we had done all day, we watched more TV, snacking on Chips, Tortilla Chips and Salsa. And again, we were in bed early.

To be continued ........

It is good to hear that there was some silver lining to the clouds and the downtime gave you time to heal.

Oh, I think there are many wonderful places to see and experience outside the US--I just doubt I will see them! One never knows, but I am content either way. :)

Good to know that Disney took care of their guests during the emergency. I agree that it would be a good place to weather the storm. I have often thought if I was a local I would check in there if a hurricane threatened, lol.

Thanks for the update! It almost seems cozy to be at Disney during a hurricane. And well done with all your preparations, it sounds like you had everything you needed.

Glad you were all safe! If there's any place I'd like to ride out a hurricane it would be Disney. Even sitting in the resort, eating, doing laundry and watching the Disney blue screen sounds really nice and relaxing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!